No rating

Far Hills Country Day School

Private | PK-8 | 445 students

Strength of Mind • Strength of Character

Living in Far Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $1,040,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,560.

Posted January 7, 2014

I am spurred to comment because of the review that the school only cares about how much money parents have. My children have been at Far Hills for over 5 years. Both my wife and I work full time and we work hard and make sacrifices to send our children to the school for the excellent education. We are NOT wealthy and have been welcomed into the school community. Additionally, the quality of the teachers far exceeds what we have experienced in other schools.

Posted November 14, 2013

Far Hills Country Day School is only concerned with how much money parents have and not what the students are learning or how they are behaving. The academic program is disappointing to say the least. This school is so misdirected and has their priorities are way out of order.

Posted November 6, 2013

Far Hills is truly a gem of a school. The teachers are exceptional, secondary school placement is extremely impressive, and the facility is second to none. The approach at this school is all about balance; the balance between academics and character development and the balance between rigor and nurture. My daughter is in 5th grade and the academic workload is substantial, but at the same time, her teacher is available in the evenings via email for questions on homework. Other schools talk the talk. Far Hills walks the walk! If you are looking for the best school in the area, look no further than FHCDS!!!

Posted October 23, 2013

If you re reading this because you re new to the area like I was three years ago, or if you re just considering a change; you should visit Far Hills and see what you think. The kids, teachers, and families are nice and I always feel welcome. There s a sense of safety in that. We ve all made great friends and feel like it s a second home. Small classroom sizes means differentiated teaching . My 2nd grader goes to challenge math daily with the resident math PhD since he can handle it. Others who need extra support also get separate time with her. Teachers are always open to communication with me and have even called me at home just to say they re proud of my son! Plus, my boys love going to school! There are many great schools in the area, but FHCDS continues to be the right fit for us.

Posted October 18, 2013

Far Hills Country Day school is an exceptional combination of academic excellence and character and confidence building experiences for the students. My two kids are so different yet each has been challenged to achieve at a high level very successfully. The teachers are amazing, available and happy. I love the community. Parents are involved and dedicated to the best for their kids and support the school. The kids standout when you meet them. We are proud of the young people are friends interact with everyday.They are proud to be smart and involved in their school. It is an amazing place.

Posted August 22, 2013

We have been part of the FHCDS community for the past six years. Over the course of that time, we have watched our children thrive. Beyond academics and curriculum, which are top notch and in line with current pedagogical research, they have been given the gift of loving to learn. They are in their element at school and it is awe-inspiring to watch them - whether they are confidently presenting during community meeting, singing on stage or soaring to new heights on the ropes course - they are poised, engaged and agile learners. Their teachers appropriately challenge and encourage them to take risks in an environment where they know they are valued and supported. In the primary school years a huge emphasis is placed on finding the right school for your children because it is essentially an extension of home. Consequently, we are so happy that we have found FHCDS to share in our journey! We have a sincere appreciation for how the faculty and administrators always have our children's best interest at heart. They truly want them to succeed! We are so excited about the future and unique opportunities that lie ahead for our children at FHCDS. We could not recommend a finer school!

Posted August 18, 2013

I have been a parent at Far Hills since my children were in pre-kindergarten. Over the years, the administration has grown increasingly out of touch - they don't seem to have any idea what really happens in the classroom, they have a beater-down faculty, dwindling enrollment, and a board hand-picked by the head. Bullying goes unaddressed it's a disaster. It use to be an average school that has gone drastically down hill. My child is beaten down. The climate at the school gets worse all the time. If you are considering Far Hills for your child, I recommend you look elsewhere! I know I am.

Posted July 2, 2013

As a parent of an FHCDS student, I have seen my child grow both academically and socially/emotionally thanks to the support of a dedicated team of teachers and administrators. She continues to make us proud every day and we will certainly miss FHCDS but we will never forget the confidence and love of learning the school inspired in our daughter.

Posted July 2, 2013

This school is a WOW. My daughter has been at another local private school as well as the local public school - and the balance between academics and character development is something no other school offers. FHCDS develops a community for both the student AND the family that is respectful and safe. Students are encouraged to voice opinion as well as hear and consider the thoughts and ideas of others. Academic instruction is solid and age-appropriate. This isn't a school where only grades matter -- they are important, but so is honesty, kindness, responsibility and integrity -- which are pillars of the school and taught to students as young as PreK. Public speaking is a hallmark of an FHCDS education and students learn to speak in front of an audience in all grades. They are taught how to organize information for presentations, eye contact, effective delivery, how to use a microphone, speak at a podium, use power points, and as a result, become very comfortable in front of an audience -- a skill they will use all their lives! My daughter loves coming to school everyday (which hasn't been the case in other schools) -- and that is invaluable!

Posted July 2, 2013

I can not say enough wonderful things about FHCDS. My son just completed his first year at the school and it was a wonderful experience for him as a student, and us as a family. Just as he was embraced by the students in his class (many of whom had already been at the school for several years), my husband and I were welcomed warmly by teachers, administrators and other families. What we love most is the balance between academics and character development. Treating others with kindness and respect is emphasized in everything the students do. I continue to be impressed with the way older students are encouraged to mentor younger students and how the teachers take the time to really understand what each student is passionate about and how each student learns. Bravo to the faculty, staff and students for creating such a deeply-rooted culture of teaching, learning and caring.

Posted July 1, 2013

As a parent, I am truly disappointed in the education my child has received throughout the years at this school. My child has not been taught the appropriate skills and foundation building blocks needed to exceed academically for high school. Majority of the teaching staff are not state certified nor do they demonstrate a background knowledge and experience of what they are teaching our children. I have witnessed and heard countless stories of bullying at this school and how staff and administration have turned their head the other direction. My child struggled this year to build the confidence needed academically and emotionally to enter high-school for the fall. A school should demonstrate a positive environment where our children feel they can grow, not an environment where there confidence in their ability is destroyed.

Posted October 12, 2010

We have two children at FHCDS and have been there for 7 years. We are extremely happy with the school. The faculty is just amazing. The environment is nurturing, yet it challenges the children to achieve. The "Upper School" (grades 6-8) is the best part. The academics and the programs available, combined with the sense of community, make for a wonderful experience. We are so happy our children have been a part of this school.

Posted July 7, 2009

Totally amazing school on all levels. Jayne Geiger has transformed FHCDS into one of the leading elementary schools in the nation.

Posted March 30, 2008

After 17 years as a Far Hills Country Day School family, our youngest daughter will graduate in June and move on to secondary school. Our entire family will always be indebted to Jayne Geiger, Rob Berkman and the entire FHCDS faculty for what they have done for all of our children. It is a marvelous school. We are glad that we chose Far Hills for our children.

Posted February 23, 2008

My three older children have all graduated from Far Hills and our youngest is now in 7th grade. We have seen first hand how the school has grown to be the best elementary/middle school in the Somerset/Morris County area. Jayne Geiger, the headmaster, is truly amazing. The new primary school and fields look like they belong to a small college. Work is currently underway on a new athletic center and performing arts center. My older children all wish they could go back and start over at Far Hills. We love the school and what it has done for all our children.

Posted February 23, 2008

Far Hills is a relatively small school, but it has the facilities and programs you would expect to find at a far larger school. The classes are small (12-14 per class) so the teachers really get to know all of the students very, very well. In fact, all the faculty and staff know all of the students. The athletic and drama programs are first rate. Children are exposed to Mandarin Chinese and Spanish or French in Pre-K. In middle school they also learn Latin. The math and science program have improved greatly over the past couple of years. High school placement is given great importance and most of their graduates wind up at the top schools of their choice. My 8th grade daughter was just accepted early decision at her first choice high school. Between our three daughters we have been at Far Hills Country Day School for 17 amazing years.

Posted February 21, 2008

My grandchildren attend Far Hills and it an amazing school.

Posted February 21, 2008

The new primary school is the best in the area. It is just an amazing new facility.

Posted January 25, 2008

While the school has had some issues in terms of leadership, the facility has been upgraded significantly and the teaching staff is largely a strong one. The parents for the most part are very involved and helpful, and the community is cohesive. The social development of students here, their safety and security, and the confidence they exude by the time they leave are the great strengths of the school. The science, literature and writing programs are terrific. Everyone participates in sports and performing arts, and public speaking skills are extensively developed. Kids here feel that everyone knows them and they each have something to contribute to the community.

Posted August 13, 2005

Lacks diversity, Prekindergarten program run like a day care. Staff and Admission office unprofessional and does not focus and childrens needs only if they fit in to the school mold.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 9%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • French
  • Latin
  • Spanish

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • ABS
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (908) 766-6705

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None