No rating

Hackensack Christian Schools

Private | K-12 | 138 students

Our school is best known for our nurturing, family environment.

Living in Hackensack

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $220,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted September 1, 2014

I am a graduate of Hackensack Christian School. I went on to a 4-year college and graduated with a B.S. in Pure Mathematics with Honors. I enjoyed my time at HCS very much and I was able to stay involved in the school even after graduating. I now teach at the school and strive to bring excellence to my students every day. The school is not like any other. The spiritual emphasis and academics are an important part of what makes HCS unique.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 28, 2013

I wouldn't think to send my daughter anywhere else. I don't know what the previous parent was talking about, but this school doesn't have poor college prep. Many of the alumni have gone to exceptionally good colleges. Even with that, they are very Christ oriented, and have a nice facility. I am very satisfied with this school. The principal is great, she does a lot of Parent and Student Involvement. Their standards are very high. The teachers are excellent, they really do care about the students. There are also Parent-Teacher Fellowship meetings regularly to keep the parents informed on whats going on. I love this school.

Posted September 3, 2013

A real disappointment for a high school education , Poor college prep classes. School need to rebuilt on their higher education curricular programs

Posted August 29, 2013

This school is awesome, like a real family who cares about the children as though they are theirs. The education is outstanding and the principal herself even tutors the children. 5 stars for truly Christian attributes including the financial department, everyone is awesome

Posted August 12, 2013

I am so excited about this next school year. I have been coming here for about 3 years and have looked forward to coming to school each day. This is the first school that I actually enjoy going. I previously have been to 3 other school and they weren't too friendly. This school was friendly immediately. I look forward to going back to school in September.

Posted April 6, 2013

I recently enrolled my child to this school. I have seen many things in the school improve over the past year. In just the one year I have seen that they have brought back volleyball to there sports, and have added a math club. They do fundraisers to raise money for things they need. My child is friends with everyone in his class and gets the correct amount of help he needs at school. His teacher helps him if he needs help and goes to see her after school if needed. I recently went to an open house there and the principal talked about how she wants to make the classes more challenging. They would advance the math course by one year and make strengthen the english course by using literature and writing. I highly consider keeping my child here until he graduates high school.

Posted November 10, 2010

I love this school! The teaching staff are wonderful and very committed to educating these wonderful children.The children are so well-behaved and have such a happy attitude. I wish that I had gone to this school when I was a child. I'm glad that my son goes to Hackensack Christian School. The education that he is receiving is superb.

Posted November 10, 2010

All my children go to this school. They are involved in sports and the school also offers affordable music lessons on many instruments. Children are well behaved and the school tuition is one of the most affordable in this county. Very diverse school.

Posted November 8, 2010

We love how everyone truly " cares " ! You can tell it's not just a job for the teachers , it's more than a school for the kids... it's a way of life ! Teaching good values,skills and respect. It's fun for the kids! they truly enjoy the learning and friendships formed here !

Posted September 22, 2010

Graduates are well prepared for college and to go out into society. Good teachers and high academic standards. Students are held to a high level of accountability. Strong Christian emphasis throughout all programs. Big enough to allow some good extra curriculars.

Posted May 3, 2009

I sent my child here for a year and my son hated it and so did i but i was always afraid of the public school, but now since i put my child in a public school they are more involved in the community. Also i realized that the previous principal was much better than the former one. Also this school has not much diversity to me.

Posted August 19, 2008

Well i went to this school for 8 years and when i was younger i liked it, but as i got older they made more rules, and certain leaders in the school were harsh. This school has NO! extra-curricular courses to get into a better college. If you happen to do certain things wrong your in big trouble cause they have a rule for that. School has had a few problems with pests!!!! Other than that the school is OK!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 19, 2007

I presently have a 7th and a 9th grader attending Hackensack Christian School. Not only do my children love the school but I do too. We were immediately adopted into the family and I feel that the staff not only educates your child but comes along side of the parents)as a co-labor in training the children. Parental involvement is high because the people, staff and parents, foster an environment where you want to be involved. I am an educator in a public school and I know that the public schools have a lot of academic and extra curricular programs that they offer; however,they do not offer the kind of approach to training and develoing the children needed to be the best people they can be. My children initially attended a different Christian School but this school is truely a gift from God.

Posted May 11, 2006

Great Christian education with great atmosphered. Students are very united with each other, and have very caring teachers. I graduated from there, and I still feel like I am part of the Hackensack Christian School family. Great experience.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 20, 2005

I am a graduate, and my children now attend, HCS understands the importance of receiving a quality education with a Godly perspective. The Christian friendships that develop with peers and staff will last a lifetime. What a great way to educate your Christian young person, and prepare them for the world, both academically and spiritually.

Posted November 9, 2004

My son is in elementary school, and I was a little concerned about his academic progress from last year. However, I have felt much better since the change of curriculum this year. It seems that Hackensack Christian School is picking up the pace academically, without leaving any of the Biblical teachings behind. The extra-curricular activities are rather light, but I believe that is to be expected in a smaller private school. Also, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. You can call me a right-wing radical. Lastly, I would be honored if God called my son to be a pastor. If you want your children to learn about the Bible, and follow Christ, then this school is a great place for them to be.

Posted September 13, 2004

Teachers that care. Teaching that is based on our Creator God. If you want your child to grow in a 'Christian Environment' and learn why they are here on this planet, then I highly encourage this school. Education is their top priority. And of course your child.

Posted September 7, 2004

Completely misguided system of student discipline, most subject matter taught in a rote style that emphasizes nothing but complete conformity to right-wing fundamentalist dogma. Woefully lacking in any sort of art curriculum. Equally laughable sports program. Terrible investment for a private school. Do not send your children here unless your intention is to make them into pastors or pastors' wives.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 9, 2004

Great Christian education in a loving safe environment. I do not know of any school that does not have any down falls. You will make of it what you/I as parents put into the school and most important at home. Home instruction is key! This school encourages parents to be involved with their child/s education. My children love it!

Posted August 26, 2003

Great extra-curricular activities for a school this size. It was a great time in my life. I highly recommend it.
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 9%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Mrs. Linda Horn
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • Korean
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Math club
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College presentations or information sessions

15 Conklin Place