Hampton Elementary School

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 116 students

Posted September 3, 2014

We moved to Hampton the year our student started 7th Grade excited for the small town and the small town school. We were not disappointed. Every teacher, administrator and even the janitorial staff truly cares about our children and our community. The school has multiple programs to help the students learn and grow as well as programs to assist in their development within the community. The two years we were able to be exposed to the interim CSA were amazing and I am sure Mr. Jones will follow in his footsteps to keep this school moving in the right direction!

Posted March 6, 2013

We moved here thinking this was a good small charming school but now regret it. Most of the teachers here are just getting started or been there too long. Lots of turn over from the top down and that is not good. They really should shut the school down and consolidate it with Clinton or a nearby district. It would be best for all. Granted it like your old charm school, quiet, small student teacher ratio and compared to inner city school its so much better but comparing with area elementary school is has to rate toward the bottom. Again not the worst but if you are looking for a top notch school this is not the place. Just look into how many adminstrators (principal, super.etc) have come and gone in the past years. It tells you something is wrong.

Posted January 23, 2013

MUCH BETTER!! New Superintendent has made all the difference in the world! Class structures are changing, mixed grade classes, daily enrichment programs, G&T is doubled & the kids adore the man. The atmosphere has changed, everyone is relaxed & happier. Full Day Kindergarten, Full Day Preschool, Before & After Care, Family Nights, Movie Nights for the parents to drop off their kids for a few hrs. The difference is truly incredible - I hope he's able to stay for a long time. Now...if we could get the Board of Ed to grow up & act like adults we'd be in business.

Posted August 25, 2010

For the amount the teachers make and what the head Administrator makes to turn down passing up a raise to keep the aids as well as funding for Pre-K is a disgrace. Now parents of Pre-K have to shell out of pocket $100 per month on top of money for snacks for class and supplies. The head administrator does very little for the school for what she makes and wants to dress up in all black like funeral that never ends. My daughter got hurt during the Christmas concert from other kids horse-playing and not a thing was done to stop it. Still shocked at the amount given for homework for a 1st grader, 2 hours+ a night.

Posted August 23, 2010

I am so sorry we have to send our kids back there this fall, we had really hoped to move but we're stuck. At least 4 of my kids' friends are being pulled & going to private schools this year. The principal is cold & uninterested in hearing the concerns of the parents. My impression is that the teachers don't love her either, there is alot of rolling eyes where she is concerned. There are almost no after school programs anymore & the music program is now embarrasing - the last concert was painful to witness, the kids looked like they were on trial - that teacher is awful! I know plenty of parents who would like to be more involved, but feel shut down when they try. Overall, this school has been a bad experience despite the presence of some really good teachers there.

Posted December 10, 2009

Small school environment should produce exceptional academic programs and opportunities for teacher's to enrich student learning, except that hampton which has some classes with 10-12 students and 2 teachers in each class has the worst reputation academically in hunterdon county. Scores don't lie. Students are not challenged and decisions regarding education are only heard if from a select group of individual cliques in town. Beware if your not part of the clique you won't be heard. Your children will also be left behind. I've been trying to sell my home but because of the school it is making it difficult. I've tried to get involved but found it difficult because everytime I've expressed interest or concerns I've been shoned. Small minded people. Small school environment not a plus in this town.

Posted September 1, 2009

Beware - this is a substandard school by any measure. Moving into this school district was the biggest mistake we ever made. I had to remove my children from the school and send them to private school after finding out that the curriculum was below average, the students were unruly, even to the point of bullying the teachers, and the facilities were ill-kept. My kids transferred in from another school only to find Hampton's curriculum for their grade levels was several grade levels lower, i.e., doing in 5th grade what my kids had already done in 2nd grade elsewhere.

Posted June 20, 2009

If you are looking for a small school environment with excellent teachers, a strong academic program, perhaps not many extracurricular activities, but a strong sense of friendship and community this is it. This school has excelled since the new principal took over in 2006. The music program is what you get in NYC schools - simply superb.science is stronger than any other school in the county . I can't stress the importance of kids growing up together in the same classroom for 8 years. It is a unique positive experience.

Posted June 11, 2009

The Hampton school went through an amazing transformation since the new principal ( Mrs. Hughes) came into office- within a year- the major problems were addressed head on and resolved - a superb music program- and top notch teachers came on board. We strongly recommend this school for anyone looking for a quality education. Most importantly, it is small and safe!!!

Posted September 3, 2008

Both of my children were educated at the hampton School. My older boys is currently in his second year in the Villanova Business School. He was well prepared for High school and ultimately for college. There are some excellent teachers on staff in particular the 6-8th grade science teacher. The current superintendent is excellent and test score are improving. Hampton is an excellent place to raise a family. I have been a resident for 28 years. When the time came to move up to a larger home, I chose to stay in town.

Posted July 5, 2008

Compared to the surrounding area, Hampton schools are so far behind in every way. They are--in fact--behind the US. Unheard of in most of rural NJ and certainly Hunterdon County. It is a shaem. Much of this has to do with the education and income level of parents. I hope this changes as the area changes. It is unfortunate for the kids--who when they get to Voorhees are set up for failure.

Posted June 16, 2008

Amen! I second the post of March 9, 2008. This is exactly why we left last year. Our new school is infinitely better. They understand what differentiated education is and practice it very well. My child went from D's & F's in Hampton to A's & B's in our new school. The difference is like night & day. In Hampton, my child had a couple hours of homework and get detention if he couldn't do it, plus the teachers would whine at me about it. In the new school, he gets 20 minutes of work and if he has a problem, his teacher helps him. She doesn't give him detention. Imagine that.

Posted March 9, 2008

Principal......Poor Performance- lets teachers run the building and generally has no clue as to what is going on in her building Teachers.......Not one will win 'outstanding teacher of the year award'. at this school. Teachers have no idea how to differentiate instruction and are not 'current' in their teaching practices. Scores are far behind the national average and curriculum has much to be desired. Teachers send home sloppy notes with spelling errors and generally do very little to keep parents informed until report cards get sent home. So glad my child no longer attends this run down, pathetic excuse for an elementary school. Beware future home buyers.......go to another area, you may have to spend more money but it would definatelyu be worth it if your child can receive a quality education from educators and administrators who actually care and aren't as burnt out as the teachers at Hampton School.

Posted April 30, 2007

I disagree with the poster that states that the new Administrator does not see any issues or room for improvement and does not 'do' anything. When we have spoken with her, she has been more than willing to share her vision of the future and her plan to transform the school into a best in class institution. We have seen an improvement as the staff is held to a higher bar of accountability. Hampton was always great for the middle of the road student -now it is transforming to challenge and nurture all, this of course takes time and effort. Don't take our word for it; the new Administrator is very apporachable - go talk to her. Talk to the parents, talk to the teachers, talk to the students. Most of all, be involved!

Posted March 27, 2007

We've seen a big improvement with the new administration. The new administrator is very motivated and involved and this has cascaded throughout the school. Close knit community that collectively cares about the educational (and otherwise) welfare of their children.

Posted April 2, 2006

Small class sizes, tight-knit community, and a high volunteer rate!

Posted October 19, 2005

My child is currently in 1st grade and I feel that the school does little to challenge their students. It has already been stated by a teacher and other parents that I have spoken to that too much time is spent playing catch up. Although I feel that it is necessary to provide supplemental learning at home I feel what I am teaching is beyond that of the school and I am leaning toward other options besides sending her to Hampton Boro. Safety is also a major issue as within the past 2 years there has been numerous reports of bullying that were undetected by the teachers and their aids. The Principal of the school is ineffectual and instead of punishing those who torment he has chosen to either look the other way or place blame elsewhere.

Posted October 17, 2005

Two of my children attend this school. One is in Pre-K and the other is in 2nd. I am very happy with their teachers and the other teachers and staff I have met there. I was born and raised in Hampton and I attended the school until graduating from there in 1992. I find it to be a place where my children can feel comfortable with themselves and their peers and learn a great deal from their highly qualified teaching staff. The parents are very involved in the activities and the programs have been exceptional. My sons' have learned a great deal. I would love to see my children graduate from here, as I did. I just wish some of my teacher's still taught here to meet them.

Posted August 28, 2005

I feel compelled to submit a review for Hampton School, especially for all the new people who are moving into the new homes being built here. I can only hope that with the influx of new people to the community, that something in this school will change. This school is so poorly run and academically lax that it is incomprehensible. The severe bullying that goes on among the students is so serious that we removed our child from the school prior to the end of the year because he could no longer function in the classroom. Will your child be safe after you drop him/her off at school here? Don't look to the Administrator for an answer.He can't be bothered and won't return phone calls.Go to the School Board for help? Forget it! If you must move to Hampton and care about your children, don't send them to school here!

Posted June 1, 2005

As a parent of a graduate and a current student at Hampton Boro School like any school, it will have its pros and cons. I believe what makes a great school is its leadership and parent involvement. Though our current principal manages the school well from a financial perspective he falters greatly in communication and presence with the students and parents. A principal should be totally engaged in ALL aspects of running a school which in turn empowers the students, parents, and mainly our teachers who have the ultimate impact on our children while they are in their care. Parents don't give up, speak up for what is right and what you believe in. You are the voice of your children. Get involved and make a difference!

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 59% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students91%

Not economically disadvantaged85%
General education86%
Not migrant78%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from from the New Jersey Department of Education.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 38%N/A34%

• Mr Arthur Dibenedetto

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

32 41 South Street