5-6 & Ungraded
Hazlet, NJ

Posted May 18, 2012
I love this school. I go their and it is my last year.I don't want to leave beause everyone is soooo nice to me. I reccoment to go here!!!!!!!

Posted October 13, 2010
Beer Street School is a school full of teacher, student, & parent comradery. Hazlet redistricted 2 years ago and the children that were pulled from Beers Street could not wait to get back!

Posted July 01, 2008
My child transferred here for the 07-08 school year and we couldn't be more pleased. From the teachers who went above and beyond, to the principal who made a point to know and earn the trust of each child, we have nothing but wonderful experiences of our first year here. As a parent of a special needs child, i can honestly say that we have gotten more concern and support here than at any other school we have attended. I would also like to point out that i feel that the great schools rating system is horribly unfair as this schools rating could be higher, if not for the fact that they get downgraded for having more children in the free lunch program despite other schools in the district getting lower test scores.This is biased and wrong on so many levels.

Posted March 07, 2008
I think the school and the Board of Ed. have come a long way in dealing with the special needs of the children. It is often difficult to satisfy every parent and every student, however I think they do the best with the resources they are given. Beers St. as well as all Hazlet Schools are continuing to grow everyday. I am proud to have 3 children attend Beers St.

Posted September 24, 2007

Posted February 11, 2006

Beers St School 3

Posted March 28, 2004
While the principal appears to be concerned and possesses the qualities one would desire in a school administrator the teaching staff appears to be fragmented. I have had 3 children attend this school. Teachers seem incapable of dealing with advanced students. There seems to be no challenge to children that have a greater capacity for learning. This manifests itself in the student becoming bored and disruptive. It breeds mediocrity. A teacher contacted us complaining about our child s performance. Prior to him being in her class, he scored very high in the CAT (in the top 1% in language). She convened a group to assess his scholastic needs. She failed to appear at this meeting; however my wife, myself and my sister in-law attended. The panel was baffled based on his grade scores and testing (including CAT scores). It was not recommended that he required special classes. Subsequent to being in that teachers class our son has had a difficult time in school and we belief that her interaction with him and him being labeled by her has caused this situation. She failed him and he is now the worse for it. This leads us to believe that if you are an average student that needs very little attention from a teacher this school is appropriate. However if you have learning difficulties or if you are a child with a zest for learning, you need to be schooled somewhere else. The latter is the most problematic for teachers here. They send any learning disabled children to special education course. However, children that yearn for more challenging curriculum need not attend this school. The major complaint from the majority of teachers that I have come in contact with is the inability of the children to organize their work to meet submission deadlines. However, myself and other parents have noted that the teacher instructions appear to generate this problem, whereas the instruction should have been more clear. There also appears to be selective enforcement of school rules and non-rules (made up as the year goes on). Often times the aggressor was permitted to carry on with the harassment and the defendant was punished. Children are left on their own to respond to aggressive behavior and have developed inappropriate responses, to the dissatisfaction of the teachers. Responses to eruptions of undesired behavior appear to be related to personalities as opposed to breaches of school directives/rules.

Posted August 31, 2003

Beers St School
610 Beers Street, Hazlet, NJ  07730
Last modified Beers St School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Beers St School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top