Bad
Good

This is such an incredible program. We love the philosophy underpinning the program - community and social values are emphasized - and the teachers, robust curriculum, and additional activities are appropriately challenging and first rate. So excited to be a part of this awesome community of parents and students!!

Great school! I have 2 children enrolled. I have been very pleased with almost all of the teachers. Both love school and have had very positive experiences there for several years now. There isn't another school in this city where I would rather have them enrolled. The administration is ethical, effective and ambitious in providing a challenging curriculum. The school relies heavily on parent funding and there is a great deal of pressure to give extra time volunteering, which is very difficult for a household where both parents work. At the same time, I am amazed at the parent involvement and commitment.

I too am shocked by some of the previous comments. I have been nothing but pleased by the quality of education my children receive at HCS and the nurturing environment in which it is provided. Teachers and staff encourage communication with families, and having 2 teachers per class is an amazing asset. My children enjoy school, feel safe and are learning and developing! Our board is stronger and more active than ever, working hard towards getting us back into a Hoboken bldg that is better than before, and the appt of Ms. Grode (princ) and Ms. Jain (VP) has strengthened the school, esp. our middle school (MS). In the past many children left for private MS however over the last 4 yrs, almost all of the 4th graders continue onto our MS program. I sure every school has a few unhappy parents or children for whom the school is not a good fit but the % of neg comments here just doesn't match up with what I hear. My complaints: (1) some parents just don't get involved despite the sch attempts (2) we have a lot less $/poor facilities compared to other schools. My suggestion is to hit the playgrounds and speak to parents of the school before making a conclusion from this website.

This isn't bad school however not a great one, but definitely a school that would be better if they practiced what they teached. They don't. I am very disappointed.

It's such a disappointment to see all of these negative reviews. I'm a student at Hoboken Charter and I think that it's a wonderful place. The learning experience there is great because you always have fun classmates and you'll always get a great teacher. Teachers are the key to our education, if you don't have a teacher you enjoy then you're not going to have a good time and you won't try as hard in class. Hoboken Charter has great staff with tons of supporting people to help you out in times of need. There's not a single teacher that's not enjoyable to learn from. The staff that work there aren't cruel to us students at all, I've been in about an estimated 4 fights throughout my 9 years of attending Hoboken Charter and i can safely say that there was no HARSH punishment. In a matter of fact i barely even remember if I had a punishment, but at the end of the day everyone in the school was supporting me again and helping me get back on my feet. Now this is my opinion as not everyone has to be the same, but I can safely tell you that Hoboken Charter may have been all these horrible things you say it might be, but I know for a fact that it's an outstanding school and i still love it.

I am in the seventh grade of 2012 and when I read this I nearly dropped the laptop. Everyone has the wrong idea. When I came to this school, I couldn't read, and neither could some of the others. But in fourth grade, I was reading at a level that kids on grade 11 could read. I'm also a speed reader. In fourth grade I beat 30 to a 100 kids in the spelling bee. The staff is amazing and care for our safety, and the music program is amazing. I have all A's and and because of this school, I will probably be sent to an amazing high school. When I'm asked about favorite childhood memories, my mind races starts running down the list of memories. When I graduate in grade 8 I will always remember this school.

This school is an embarrassment to the community. It is unfortunate for the family and students who are still attending HCS. My child learned next to nothing while attending HCS. The teacher was ineffective, as was the absent and unqualified administration. As a parent, I would advise any prospective parents run far away and put your child's needs first. Don't buy into the promises they make.

As a student who attends this school, I am shocked by some of these reviews. Your all saying: We should be closed down, They use slang, They are not safe, There are too many fights. No, No, No. We don't use slang, there are barely any fights at all! Who are you people? If some kids are getting bullied, the teachers and principle will sit them down and talk it out. No harsh punishments. And for the safety. The kids at Hoboken Charter School, are probably the safest in the nation... honestly. The teachers are, oh I don't know, AMAZING. We kids, are getting the proper education we need! Many have been graded advance in the NJ Ask. I myself have. Overall, this school is one in a million. As the school says, "Where children come first, and learning comes naturally."

The High School has become a horror, due to poor leadership and mismanagement. The teachers are still great and helpful, but the principal leaves much to be desired when it comes to administration. This is not a large school, nor does it have a numerous student body, but students still fall through the cracks and that is largely due to leadership and following through.

My child does not attend this school. However, I have witnessed many times at the playground (Church Street SQ) that the staff members are rude and not very attentive to the children. I often wonder what would make them watch these children, as I fear someone grabbing one and walking off. As for the rudeness.. Simply put its unprofessional ghetto slang used on these children. I hope these are not the teachers as I would never allow my child to be exposed to that type of talk!

Last modified Hoboken Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.