Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I have not evidence of this to rate it.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I have not evidence that this is being done.

Effective school leaders: Agree

Principle has been replaced before but is always engaging and easy to reach.

Develops character: Neutral

No evidence of this. There are slogans around the school but we are not evaluating this.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Each year brings a new teacher. Some teachers are more engaged but that is to be expected.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is based on the days lecture. It is more of a reinforcement..

Update Mar2015. Half the school year is complete. My son attends Kindergarten. He is flourishing. He is advanced since he is already 6 and has attended many preschools prior to this. His teacher recognized his ability immediately. She gave him extra work to challenge him and he enjoys it. I look forward to seeing if this will continue in 1st grade. My daughter is in 3rd grade. This is the first year of the Common Core standard and as you all know it is a mess. The teachers she has have drunk the cool aid and think CC is the best thing since sliced bread. We teach our daughter the Singaporean method at home and she is doing well in out eyes. Her grades are down in math and reading but we know why this is. We don't blame the school. In fact we love this school. It is a safe fun place for children to learn. You would be well served to move here and have your kids go here. I think the CC standard will be dropped or changed and the students will go back to the core basics. What good is algebra to a child who is still learning long division and fractions. I will post a year end summary as I always do. I wish more parents would do the same. Educators do read these reviews trust me.

My daughter has attended this school since K. She is now going to 2nd grade. Since the change in principle after K we have seen a dramatic improvement in the culture of the school. I never felt that the school was sub par. I just never felt there was anyone in the administration pushing for change. I spoke to the previous principle about my daughter and asked why she was not being challenged. She told me some children don't want to be challenged. To her I responded that children don't get to make that decision. Parents and educators do. I think Jackson is great place to raise a family and educate your child. Don't tell anyone since I like that we are off the radar and not becoming a Toms River or Brick school system. My daughters teachers are very smart YOUNG bright educators. I hope they are not ruined by the NJEA. I hope they are rewarded for their hard work. Lucy Holman is a solid school with much more to achieve for my children. Note: Lets push for all day K. This half day thing is not enough classroom instrumtion. It is also cheaper to pay for a private full day K than half day K and half day aftercare. Plus they learn so much more.

excellant staff problems are addressed quickly

Holman is a wonderful school. The teachers are caring and fun!

Last modified Lucy N Holman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.