No rating

Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School

Private | PK-8

Student diversity

Living in Jersey City

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $235,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Posted August 15, 2013

We agree that the grading system at Primary Prep is not a clear and true reflection of the quality of education or a measure of how intelligent a child is. Our child, like most children at the school (we learned) received straight A grades. Our child did it with very little effort. We had our daughter tested outside of the school and learned that she was actually behind for her grade! Sadly, we came to realize that our daughter was simply memorizing for tests as opposed to truly understanding the material. We've come to the conclusion that the grading system at Primary Prep is more for the parents benefit and used to encourage children that follow rules well and behave. All parents should really question what an A grade really represents. For this reason alone, we are looking for schooling elsewhere.

Posted June 16, 2013

We have taken our children elsewhere and thank goodness we found a better school so late in our decision making. Since there are huge age gaps in our children, we are sickened to be witness to the fact that Primary Prep and Play and Learn have become machines as opposed to nurturing environments under control. There attention to quality and the once intimate vibe of the school is gone. The quality of teachers is fading and the addition of fundraising at an all time high! This is not the school that my oldest child experienced as my younger one compares the school to a prison. Besides the lackluster and boring teaching methods, the school's curriculum isn't all that great. Although a "straight A" student, our daughter had to be tutored on the side because she wasn't really learning but rather memorizing to pass tests. Most Primary Prep students that get good grades get them by memorization opposed to truly digesting, remembering, and understanding the topics. This school is not longer the special place it once was.

Posted June 16, 2013

I gives this school a low grade because our daughter very unhappy to go to school here. The school very stern and teacher not so warm and nice. School to crowded now and lots of kids that are make trouble and bully. Our child is very very smart and primary prep to easy for her. She would have all A on her reports and so easy for her to get. We now send her to really good school by my mother in laws where they has a honors program and the school is small. At the new school my daughter went on 6 field trips in the year. Only go on one at primary prep. We so happy to have a good school now and no more primary prep.

Posted February 4, 2013

My child went to Primary Prep from Kindergarten through 8th grade. The environment, both academic and social, was more than we could have hoped for. The diverse nature of the school provided her with a well-rounded and open-minded attitude. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. Mrs. Hoffman and the staff are always willing to go the extra mile.

Posted January 12, 2013

I had loved this school when my first child had attended in 2004. It was much smaller and I think Mrs. Hoffman had truly cared about the kids and not always financially driven. Years later, new location, the school had certainly expanded and Mrs. Hoffman clearly do not care about the kids its all about the money. On numerous occasions she would get in contact with me the day before my daughter is scheduled to graduate or some important event that every parent would like their child to part take to let me know my child cannot do it because we did not make the school financial obligation. I am talking about 24 hours. I am not the only parent she had done that too. She did not care if the child or children were disappointed. So This school deserves a 1 star.

Posted August 24, 2012

Mrs.Hoffman is a two faced director. She shows discrimination among parents, which we did not like. School is over hyped up about this & that by the director.

Posted November 30, 2010

There have been no new reviews for almost a year and then suddenly there are about 15 in one month. Sounds like the director writes her own reviews. My child was taken out of this school because it was a disgrace. Two faced director, fake teachers, and lazy administration.

Posted October 30, 2010

They have good teachers. My Grandson likes the school.

Posted October 29, 2010

My daughters are in the 3rd grade and Pre-K at Primary Prep. The school is diverse and the teachers and administration genuinely care for the well being of all the students. All the children are friendly to each other and respectful to adults. This school also keeps the children busy with a variety of extracurricular activities. For these reasons, not only do I rate this school 5 stars, but I also must recommend parents who care about their children's education to consider sending their kids there.

Posted October 26, 2010

My son is in K at Primary Prep and he got adjusted to school quickly. He likes school and so I am happy. Staff is friendly. Their after school programs are really good.

Posted October 25, 2010

There is a great emphasis on education and focus from both the teachers, teaching assistants and after-school assistants to ensure my son is focusing on his "weaker" subjects and getting the assistance he needs.

Posted October 19, 2010

The school curriculum is great. The kids are taught art, music and their level is always higher than other schools around. The small class sizes make it easier for teachers to pay attention to individual students. The school staff/teachers know the parents making it a safe environment for the kids. A lot of after school activities!!

Posted October 19, 2010

Its a wonderful school which considers all round development of the child and loving teachers. The environment is great, the kids are encouraged to love learning in a fun way. Great curriculum and even great after school activities.

Posted October 18, 2010

Excellent school, loving staff and effective learning!

Posted October 18, 2010

Primary Prep provides a superb atmosphere for learning; and maintains a well qualified and caring staff in support of this. The results are, from what I've observed as a Godfather to a Primary Prep 1st Grader, children eager to attend the school to participate in all the attendant activities therein.

Posted October 18, 2010

It is great that both our three year old and our four year old can go to the same school. It is a great environment!

Posted October 18, 2010

THE BEST SCHOOL FOR THE CARING TEACHER AND PRINCIPAL AND A REALLY GREAT CURRICULUM

Posted October 17, 2010

My grandniece goes to school at Jersey City's Play & Learn/Primary Prep. Elementary School & she's remarkably smart with a wide vocabulary.

Posted October 16, 2010

Primary Prep is a diverse learning community with a rigorous curriculum and excellent arts program.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 16, 2010

this school has the teachers who are willing to go the extra mile to help students achieve there academic goals

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

41 Tuers Ave