Posted February 09, 2015
Primary Prep is a huge disappointment and we are scrambling to find another school. The school is overcrowded and on days of bad weather, the kids can't use the gym due to lack of space! The cafeteria is surrounded by napping preschoolers so kids eating are expected to be quiet and not allowed to enjoy themselves. Activities like art, gym, music, Spanish, are only taught once a week! The fees just took a huge hike and the services are the same, if not worse due to overcrowding. The school hires a lot of parent teachers; our hope was for the best teachers on the market, not the most convenient for the school. The children that receive good grades do so more from outside tutoring and parental involvement more than what the teachers contribute. We've heard from many that this is even more true for the older grades! The school may look nice with its new lunch menu, children in neat uniforms, and hyped up class descriptions but we know differently. After a few years too many, we see it for what it is: its priority is making money opposed to providing a nurturing and excellent academic environment for children.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 15, 2013
We agree that the grading system at Primary Prep is not a clear and true reflection of the quality of education or a measure of how intelligent a child is. Our child, like most children at the school (we learned) received straight A grades. Our child did it with very little effort. We had our daughter tested outside of the school and learned that she was actually behind for her grade! Sadly, we came to realize that our daughter was simply memorizing for tests as opposed to truly understanding the material. We've come to the conclusion that the grading system at Primary Prep is more for the parents benefit and used to encourage children that follow rules well and behave. All parents should really question what an A grade really represents. For this reason alone, we are looking for schooling elsewhere.

Posted June 16, 2013
We have taken our children elsewhere and thank goodness we found a better school so late in our decision making. Since there are huge age gaps in our children, we are sickened to be witness to the fact that Primary Prep and Play and Learn have become machines as opposed to nurturing environments under control. There attention to quality and the once intimate vibe of the school is gone. The quality of teachers is fading and the addition of fundraising at an all time high! This is not the school that my oldest child experienced as my younger one compares the school to a prison. Besides the lackluster and boring teaching methods, the school's curriculum isn't all that great. Although a "straight A" student, our daughter had to be tutored on the side because she wasn't really learning but rather memorizing to pass tests. Most Primary Prep students that get good grades get them by memorization opposed to truly digesting, remembering, and understanding the topics. This school is not longer the special place it once was.

Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School 2

Posted June 16, 2013
I gives this school a low grade because our daughter very unhappy to go to school here. The school very stern and teacher not so warm and nice. School to crowded now and lots of kids that are make trouble and bully. Our child is very very smart and primary prep to easy for her. She would have all A on her reports and so easy for her to get. We now send her to really good school by my mother in laws where they has a honors program and the school is small. At the new school my daughter went on 6 field trips in the year. Only go on one at primary prep. We so happy to have a good school now and no more primary prep.

Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School 5

Posted February 04, 2013
My child went to Primary Prep from Kindergarten through 8th grade. The environment, both academic and social, was more than we could have hoped for. The diverse nature of the school provided her with a well-rounded and open-minded attitude. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. Mrs. Hoffman and the staff are always willing to go the extra mile.

Posted January 12, 2013
I had loved this school when my first child had attended in 2004. It was much smaller and I think Mrs. Hoffman had truly cared about the kids and not always financially driven. Years later, new location, the school had certainly expanded and Mrs. Hoffman clearly do not care about the kids its all about the money. On numerous occasions she would get in contact with me the day before my daughter is scheduled to graduate or some important event that every parent would like their child to part take to let me know my child cannot do it because we did not make the school financial obligation. I am talking about 24 hours. I am not the only parent she had done that too. She did not care if the child or children were disappointed. So This school deserves a 1 star.

Posted August 24, 2012
Mrs.Hoffman is a two faced director. She shows discrimination among parents, which we did not like. School is over hyped up about this & that by the director.

Posted November 30, 2010
There have been no new reviews for almost a year and then suddenly there are about 15 in one month. Sounds like the director writes her own reviews. My child was taken out of this school because it was a disgrace. Two faced director, fake teachers, and lazy administration.

Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School 4

Posted October 30, 2010
They have good teachers. My Grandson likes the school.

Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School 5

Posted October 29, 2010
My daughters are in the 3rd grade and Pre-K at Primary Prep. The school is diverse and the teachers and administration genuinely care for the well being of all the students. All the children are friendly to each other and respectful to adults. This school also keeps the children busy with a variety of extracurricular activities. For these reasons, not only do I rate this school 5 stars, but I also must recommend parents who care about their children's education to consider sending their kids there.

Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School
41 Tuers Ave, Jersey City, NJ  07306
Last modified Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Play & Learn/Primary Prep Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top