No rating

Beloved Community Charter School

Charter | K-4 | 480 students

High academic achievement and a caring school climate.

Student diversity

Living in Jersey City

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $480,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,780.

Posted today

This school is awesome my daughter is in grade 1 now,she started in kindergarten.They keep the children so academically involved and make sure the kids learn and understand.The teachers are great and the staff is wonderful.I have never had a complaint about this school..Most importantly my daughter loves it and is excited about how much more she knows than her peers going to other schools

Posted July 2, 2014

I agree that BCCS is a great school. My daughter started as a kindergarten last year and I was so amazed that at the middle of that school year she was able to read fairy tale books without any assistance. What amazed me is that as a single working mom, I really don't have time to teach her more often . I was so grateful to the school though my only problem this year is that the homework is too much for me as I don't have enough time to help my kid. Anyhow, I still would consider the school to get a five star rating.

Posted June 17, 2014

Another great year for BelovED CCS. We all want the best for our children. A good education can give our students a bright future. We are really fortunate to have our children in BelovED and will continue to support the teachers/staff and Parent Teacher Organization. Like the other parents who commented previously, we also request the school to reconsider their homework policy. We also hope that the students will engage in more physical fitness and team sports activities. They should also have more free time sans homework afterschool to bond with their family after a long day at school. And have more time recreating and engaging with their hobbies, reading their favorite books and writing at their leisure. These extracurricular activities will enhance and strengthen: their family and communal bonds, their health and physique, their creativity and identity. We also hope that as BelovED strives to give all its scholars equitable education, it should also be noted that scholars who are doing above and beyond their academic levels should be given the challenge and attention they deserve and not be relegated aside as more attention is given to scholars who are falling behind.

Posted June 11, 2014

I agree with the posts below - tones of homework after a long day (more than 8 hours) kills everything else - bonding time with family members, family dinners, and most importantly - after school activities. Kids, who are willing to commit themselves to sport or art, simply don't have time to do what they love due to load of homework. We love enthusiastic teachers, responsible administration that operates with high standards, caring atmosphere at school, but are overwhelmed with homework and tests. Students are doing very well at Beloved and I would love school administration to believe that they will do much better without testing in each given subject once a month and a homework that takes 1 to 2 hours a day. We have to give the kids time to play favorite sports, or be imaginative and improvise, as we all know, sometimes imagination is more important than knowledge.

Posted June 11, 2014

Yes, NO more HOMEWORK after a long day in school. BelovED CCS provides our children with a good education with it's dedicated and passionate teachers and staff along with the team of active Parent Teacher Organization. Let us give our children more time to relax at home and bond with their family and friends. More time to read books and more time to write on their personal journals. Next school year, give this a try for one to two months, then assess the children's school performance and grades. Maybe only some will need homework but not all.

Posted May 27, 2014

BelovED has a high expectation while being fair. They are concerned with a student learning and are looking at how this effects them year after year. If you want your child to "just" pass and don't think you can hear the good and the parts that need more work- then it may not be right for you. My child had struggled at our home school and they have struggled at BelovED but I have seen improvement and my son feels more confident. While I am worried about his passing his teachers have given him extra support and pull out with teachers who are focusing on his math and reading. He loves to read new books to be at bed- He never asked that before. I am confident that while it may take my son another year to catch up that BelovED cares and is helping me make more informed decision. Go here -- Listen to what they tell you .. You have to play a part too- if you wanted the easy road this is not for you .. I can't wait for my son to graduate 12 grade from here and go to college. This PTO never sleeps-- My email is constantly full of notices for events and things going on.

Posted May 16, 2014

This school has not just created a caring climate within its own walls. it is also spreading care to the community outside, as most recently exemplified by the volunteer work of our second grade students and schoolwide staff in support of the Hoboken Homeless Shelter. Second grades raised funds from their families by doing chores at home -- e.g., doing the dishes for 25 cents. The money was used to purchase bread and cold cuts for sandwiches, which the students made. Our staff brought the sandwiches with them to the shelter, where they also provided volunteer shift coverage. So many staff members volunteered, that we had to break up the coverage over a period of three days. (Check out the photo of our overnight crew at the shelter.) I love this school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 28, 2014

The school day is from 7:45 to 4:15. Due to the longer day the teachers are much more thorough in content delivery in all subjects resulting in swift and tear free homework time each night in our home. Additionally, beloved has a policy that any student that scores below 80% on a test, review that material and retake the test the next day! This practice ensures the children are given their best chance to master the content vs leaving Swiss cheese holes of understanding that are hard to build on. If a student is struggling in many subjects there is a small after school class which address the individual child's areas of weakness and strengthens them. Study skills, homework habits, test prep, and test taking anxiety are all addressed resulting in confident students rather than shy embarrassed students. My son is in kindergarten. He has a 100% average in all subjects! He understands math, language, and study habits in a way my daughter never did at his age. The curriculum at Beloved begins with kindergarten and prepares them very well for the rigorous yet fulfilling years ahead. I feel strongly that if my daughter started at Beloved the years of struggling would have been avoided.

Posted February 12, 2014

We are trying to combine a superior academic program with a caring school climate, encouragement of positive values, and fun -- and we think we are succeeding. We use brief weekly assessments not for grading purposes, but to identify when a student is struggling with a new skill so we can provide extra assistance before the student becomes frustrated. We do have an extended day to provide for more learning, but we try to incorporate "planned fun" into our lessons, and we use art, music, gym, lunch/recess and snack and rest times to break up the academic day and keep students invigorated. Evidence of the fact that we are succeeding can be found in the fact that so many of our students stay to participate in our numerous afterschool activities and clubs, and in the fact that exceedingly few students transfer out.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 11, 2014

I feel like many parents do not research the Sabis program enough before sending their children here. If you want a less rigorous day, send your child to another school. An environment like this (which is similar to other Charter schools in JC) is where you are going to get the best education for your child. The hours and testing all come with the territory of a Charter school like Beloved. Where else are you going to get a great learning environment the also teaches character and real life values on a daily basis? And to the parent who said "I do not see a whole child approach and support or encouragement for any interests outside the rigid structure of the class", perhaps you are not aware of the variety of after school activities the school offers? Art, music, cooking, hockey, basketball, scouts, etc.....

Posted February 6, 2014

We were so hopeful about this school and had a good experience at first. It now feels a lot more like a military school and really young children are expected to be on task for more than 8 hours a day. And that is before we factor in homework. The school is in no way progressive and there are thinly veiled threats to have "scholars" be left back which seems to be the plan to have high test scores along with not veiled threats to take away recess, gym, birthday parties and on and on. All the good things about the school (like the nice facility and some of the teachers) aren't enough to outweigh the negatives (mostly crying kids in the morning not wanting to go to school). It's like they are trying so hard to have a good image and have good test scores that they can't hear the genuine concerns about how it impacts the kids.

Posted January 21, 2014

Testing, Testing, Testing...It is obvious that kids are stressed in this environment. My 2nd grader is always talking about tests & whenever we question the administration, they just spout the same phrases about Sabis being "proven". I do not see a whole child approach and support or encouragement for any interests outside the rigid structure of the class. There is also not enough physical activity to break up the long school day. I notice that earlier reviews were removed and all the 5 star reviews seem similar to me.

Posted November 26, 2013

We were truly blessed to get a spot at BelovED. Our daughter had such a hard time last year in 1st grade with a bully that made everyday of the school year miserable for her at her old school. It affected her grades and made her not want to attend school, and dealing with the faculty at that school was like hitting a brick wall every single week. They made me feel as if they were doing me a favor just to speak to me or assist me in any manner. BelovEd is the complete opposite. When you walk through the doors you can feel the warmth and care from every single adult working in that building you know that they are there to provide your child with the full support they need to achieve greatness. My daughter tested in the 50's across the board when she arrived at BelovEd and now she is in the 90's after just 3 months. It is no longer a chore to convince her to go to school, she loves attending everyday and is already talking about what college she will attend and what career path she wants to take. The curriculum is strenous, the days are long and parental involvement is necessary. BelovEd is offering my daughter an education she could of only received at an expensive private school.

Posted October 25, 2013

I'm reading the comments from disgruntled parents below and I'm taken aback. I have one child who already has been a student of BelovED since it's onset and one who will be enrolled for September of next year and I tell you. The care that the BelovED faculty have for the children is remarkable. My experience has been that the bar is high but the children are not only learning but enjoying everyday at school. One day, my child wasn't feeling well and I considered not sending him to school. He literally cried because he looked forward to going to school. The PTO team is extraordinary!! They are doing remarkable work in exposing our children to successful professionals to decide in career paths. We just attended the Fall Festival and had a blast. A lot is expected of the children and there is a no excuse policy in place. It certainly takes parent involvement but our kids are worth it!

Posted October 24, 2013

Most parents are very anxious about what school they put their kids in. My wife and I faced the same problem until we came across BelovED. We were blessed to find a school with a challenging academic program, after school programs, active PTO, great principle and teachers.

Posted October 24, 2013

Having our daughter attend BelovED is the BEST decision we have made thus far. I am so proud to say that we are lucky enough to be part of this great community. Throughout the year we have seen such great progress with her grade and character. This school not only pushed her to be an honor student but also helped her be more respectful and hard working. She loves her teachers and she feels confident that she can express herself to them. I know that with the Sabis program, we are providing her with the best education that a lot of schools can not compare to. The staff and her teachers have been so wonderful. Whenever I have any questions or concerns about our daughter, her teacher always makes the time to talk to me after school or if I forget anything I could just email her. I truly see that these people really do have the children's interests at heart. If you are considering of having your child attend BelovED, be prepared for the long hours, heavy work load, heavy parent participation, and the satisfaction of knowing you are giving the best education to your child up until they go to college.

Posted October 13, 2013

BelovED Community Charter has been great for my twin daughter's. We were lucky to be amongst the first students to attend the school. The Sabis curriculum is very intense but there are assessments build in to make sure the kids are learning what they are suppose to know. The longer school day allows for more instruction time and the staff and teachers have been great. Mrs.Convery is a wonderful principle who really has the kids best interest at heart. The after school programs are a great mix of sports, arts, and academics. It's great to have music, art, and language build into the daily curriculum. The PTO has been active providing and supporting the school with social and academic events. I'm very happy my wife and I made the decision to enroll our kids.

Posted September 14, 2013

This school is excellent. I receive weekly communication from homeroom teacher, Administrative staff responds to inquiries with 24 hours, Sabis curriculum is excellent, and we truly have a BelovED community.

Posted June 17, 2013

I have a son who attends this school and I have to say, I am extremely pleased with how much he has learned during the school year; far surpassing my expectations. The teachers are phenomenal as well as the staff. I am a believer, this school is Beloved by all. The children are involved not only in reaching their learning objectives but they are active in helping the communities near and far. They raised funds for those affected by Hurricane Sandy, Sandy Hook tragedy and most recently for those affected by the tornadoes in Oklahoma.

Posted February 12, 2013

I am beyond thrilled that I was able to get my daughter in here - The public schools in our area are subpar to say the least, she came into school not knowing how to read or write very well and 5 months into kindergarten she is doing AMAZING to put it mildly. They are strict with their uniforms and such but in the end the education she is receiving is well worth it -

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Korean
Spanish
Urdu
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • NA - School New (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Hudson County Improvement Authority Recycling Award (2013)
  • Hudson County Earth Day Calendar Award (2013)
  • Target Stores Award (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Dance club
  • Drama club

Language learning

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
  • Daily Spanish immersion classes.
Foreign languages taught

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 4:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Kelly Convery
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • enroll@belovedccs.org
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Honors track
  • Internships
  • Sabis Education System
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• Daily Spanish immersion classes.
Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Jersey City Public Schools

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom