Public charter
Jersey City, NJ

Posted November 03, 2014
My son has been in this school since it opened. The best decision my husband and I ever made for him. He has excelled to the point that he is on honor roll and has truely matured. The value of having a foundation to education and the teaching of having integrity and character is amazing. This schoolis a true blessing for my son and my daughter will also be coming here in 2 years.

Posted September 30, 2014
I could not be happier that my daughter is in BelovED. So grateful to have found this school that we'll be staying in Jersey City.

Posted September 19, 2014
This school is awesome my daughter is in grade 1 now,she started in kindergarten.They keep the children so academically involved and make sure the kids learn and understand.The teachers are great and the staff is wonderful.I have never had a complaint about this school..Most importantly my daughter loves it and is excited about how much more she knows than her peers going to other schools

Posted July 02, 2014
I agree that BCCS is a great school. My daughter started as a kindergarten last year and I was so amazed that at the middle of that school year she was able to read fairy tale books without any assistance. What amazed me is that as a single working mom, I really don't have time to teach her more often . I was so grateful to the school though my only problem this year is that the homework is too much for me as I don't have enough time to help my kid. Anyhow, I still would consider the school to get a five star rating.

Posted June 17, 2014
Another great year for BelovED CCS. We all want the best for our children. A good education can give our students a bright future. We are really fortunate to have our children in BelovED and will continue to support the teachers/staff and Parent Teacher Organization. Like the other parents who commented previously, we also request the school to reconsider their homework policy. We also hope that the students will engage in more physical fitness and team sports activities. They should also have more free time sans homework afterschool to bond with their family after a long day at school. And have more time recreating and engaging with their hobbies, reading their favorite books and writing at their leisure. These extracurricular activities will enhance and strengthen: their family and communal bonds, their health and physique, their creativity and identity. We also hope that as BelovED strives to give all its scholars equitable education, it should also be noted that scholars who are doing above and beyond their academic levels should be given the challenge and attention they deserve and not be relegated aside as more attention is given to scholars who are falling behind.

Posted June 11, 2014
I agree with the posts below - tones of homework after a long day (more than 8 hours) kills everything else - bonding time with family members, family dinners, and most importantly - after school activities. Kids, who are willing to commit themselves to sport or art, simply don't have time to do what they love due to load of homework. We love enthusiastic teachers, responsible administration that operates with high standards, caring atmosphere at school, but are overwhelmed with homework and tests. Students are doing very well at Beloved and I would love school administration to believe that they will do much better without testing in each given subject once a month and a homework that takes 1 to 2 hours a day. We have to give the kids time to play favorite sports, or be imaginative and improvise, as we all know, sometimes imagination is more important than knowledge.

Posted June 11, 2014
Yes, NO more HOMEWORK after a long day in school. BelovED CCS provides our children with a good education with it's dedicated and passionate teachers and staff along with the team of active Parent Teacher Organization. Let us give our children more time to relax at home and bond with their family and friends. More time to read books and more time to write on their personal journals. Next school year, give this a try for one to two months, then assess the children's school performance and grades. Maybe only some will need homework but not all.

Posted May 27, 2014
BelovED has a high expectation while being fair. They are concerned with a student learning and are looking at how this effects them year after year. If you want your child to "just" pass and don't think you can hear the good and the parts that need more work- then it may not be right for you. My child had struggled at our home school and they have struggled at BelovED but I have seen improvement and my son feels more confident. While I am worried about his passing his teachers have given him extra support and pull out with teachers who are focusing on his math and reading. He loves to read new books to be at bed- He never asked that before. I am confident that while it may take my son another year to catch up that BelovED cares and is helping me make more informed decision. Go here -- Listen to what they tell you .. You have to play a part too- if you wanted the easy road this is not for you .. I can't wait for my son to graduate 12 grade from here and go to college. This PTO never sleeps-- My email is constantly full of notices for events and things going on.

Posted May 16, 2014
This school has not just created a caring climate within its own walls. it is also spreading care to the community outside, as most recently exemplified by the volunteer work of our second grade students and schoolwide staff in support of the Hoboken Homeless Shelter. Second grades raised funds from their families by doing chores at home -- e.g., doing the dishes for 25 cents. The money was used to purchase bread and cold cuts for sandwiches, which the students made. Our staff brought the sandwiches with them to the shelter, where they also provided volunteer shift coverage. So many staff members volunteered, that we had to break up the coverage over a period of three days. (Check out the photo of our overnight crew at the shelter.) I love this school!

Posted April 28, 2014
The school day is from 7:45 to 4:15. Due to the longer day the teachers are much more thorough in content delivery in all subjects resulting in swift and tear free homework time each night in our home. Additionally, beloved has a policy that any student that scores below 80% on a test, review that material and retake the test the next day! This practice ensures the children are given their best chance to master the content vs leaving Swiss cheese holes of understanding that are hard to build on. If a student is struggling in many subjects there is a small after school class which address the individual child's areas of weakness and strengthens them. Study skills, homework habits, test prep, and test taking anxiety are all addressed resulting in confident students rather than shy embarrassed students. My son is in kindergarten. He has a 100% average in all subjects! He understands math, language, and study habits in a way my daughter never did at his age. The curriculum at Beloved begins with kindergarten and prepares them very well for the rigorous yet fulfilling years ahead. I feel strongly that if my daughter started at Beloved the years of struggling would have been avoided.

Beloved Community Charter School
508 Grand Street, Jersey City, NJ  07302
Last modified Beloved Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4
Beloved Community Charter School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top