No rating

The Academy I Middle School

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 33 students

Posted yesterday

my school is very hard and many students don't get any honors. Last year only three people in my class got first honors and 5 people got 2nd. the other 23 students got no honors. Many of the students use bad language and talk really dirty, they sometimes even bully you. The teachers are fun and boring...depends on who u have. So good luck If you are going to academy 1!

Posted July 31, 2014

As a parent of a former AEP student (graduate June 26, 2014), this is the best school you can send your son/daughter to in Jersey City. The teachers are great, the guidance counselors are fantastic and the Principal Awesome!! The work load is challenging, and there is some pressure to succeed, but it pays off in the end. Parents need to be supportive of their son/daughter while attending this school. Give them reassuring words of encouragement and tell them how proud you are of them for making it as far as they have. Become involve in PTA activities. Students must have other activities besides academics to balance all the hard work they put in; it is essential to them becoming well rounded. After all of the hard work my daughter put in for the last 3 years, she was accepted to 2 of the 4 top high schools in Jersey City. My husband and I could not be more proud of her. CWJ parent of HCJ

Posted July 19, 2014

The Worst School ive ever been to. Do not go here. I was a former student here and i transferred in March. I can not believe the neibourhood. Every morning i was scared walking here. It was horrific, all the people i would see. The kids here would rat you out in seconds. The teachers would curse often. And the things the kids would put in my head... Making me believe i was something that i was not. Please dont go here. The kids are gossip crazy, even though some were so nice!!!! This is why i gave it 3 stars. And also, the work isnt bad either.

Posted May 24, 2014

I am going into this school for the 2014-2015 school year and since most of these(not all though) were good reviews I'm really happy to be going here. I almost can't wait. Although my school is a great school I am well above what they are asking for in the curriculum. If anyone could tell me whether or not there are uniforms( because in my old school there was) I hope not! Anyway I am giving A1 5 stars because of all the amazing reviews!

Posted February 12, 2014

I'm Going Into 6th grade and i'm really scared! should i go or not? after reading these reviews i felt better like another person who wrote a review and i know there were some bad reveiws but most of them were good! and now i'm trying to choose which school is better for me? its either my school or A1? And i am really confused

Posted October 21, 2013

I'm a student at Academy I in the Advanced Enrichment Program. At first I was scared that I would not be advanced enough, but now things are a blast.

Posted September 4, 2013

This school is absolutely the best! No other school can replace Academy I. It was such a honor for me to be taught in that school.

Posted August 26, 2013

Academy 1 is the best school in the jersey city school district. The three years I sent in Academy 1 were the best of my life. It might be a little challenging in the being of sixth grade to adjust but it becomes easier, trust me. It just needs a little time, effort and hard work to do well. I am extremely thankful that I was able to learn from amazing teachers like Mrs. Spitaletta, Mr. Monigle, Mr. Osenenko, Mr. Marto and Mr. Cestaro just to name a few. It might not be in a big extravagant building with the best technology in the world but the sense of family that is created is more important. Personally I felt like I grew up so much in those 3 years of my life than I have every done before. For all of those new comers and their parents, just make sure you do the work, put some effort into it , keep your parents involved because they help you on your journey and most of all enjoy it while it lasts because it goes in a second. Once I graduated and left for high school at McNair, it made me realize how much I loved Academy 1.

Posted August 23, 2013

I am a student going into Academy 1, and i am VERY scared. But after reading te reviews i felt a lot better, so i guess it will be a nice school... Im going into 6th grade so... Yea

Posted June 11, 2013

Well, where do i start? As a second year Academy 1 student, i am sure that i speak for everyone when i say that this school is just exceptional. From the teacher, to councilors, to fellow peers, everyone there is ready to help you. Sure the amount of work may be tedious at times, but so is life. When never get busy work, everything that the teachers give you to do is for one purpose only, and that is to improve your academic career. Academy 1, in my personal, and humble opinion, has some of the best teachers in the entire City. They will help you step by step, and well bulling is almost non-existent due to the staff, and how they help you. Some of my best memories come from this school, and i would recommend this to any student who wishes to apply.

Posted March 20, 2013

Our child was accepted into the AEP program, after coming from the HOPE (gifted) class at his previous school, and has had great success at Academy I (honors, even better grades than before!). However, success here comes at the expense of endeavors that contribute to development as a well-rounded individual. Taking courses one grade level ahead is all well and good, but the amount of homework seems gratuitous (quantity masquerading as quality). I don't recall ever having this volume of work as a graduate student. It's great to learn time management skills, but not at the expense of all else. The Principal, counselors and some of the teachers are great, but we're uncertain as to whether our child will return next year. This experience has made us certain that we will not enroll him in a purely academic high school after this. If you believe in academic excellence, but also value life skills, community involvement, leadership, sports, etc., I would advise against this school. Also, contrary to popular belief, going to the AEP program will NOT afford you an advantage in being accepted to the area's elite "academic" high schools. This from the program director herself.

Posted January 18, 2013

I am currently a student at Academy 1 in 6th grade, and so far, it's awesome! Even though there is a lot of work, I'm learning a lot more than a typical 6th grader. The teachers are funny and treat you as a friend, not a student. They try to help you as best as they could individually. i find it to be loads of fun there.

Posted March 5, 2009

OMG!!! I am a graduate of A1 in the class of 2008. I am currently in McNair Academic High School. The phrase 'high school is the golden years of your life that shape you to who you are' simply doesnt apply. McNair High School was the #1 high school in NJ for a long time, and lets just say to me it seems so dry. I feel completely emotionless there because I miss all the good qualities of A1. My fellow classmates in high school are envious of every A1 student because we are all taking sophmore classes in freshmen year. As freshmen, we get to take AP courses... that give college credit.. something only a few high schools offer.. and only in senior year... we are taking it as freshmen due to our preparation in A1

Posted March 4, 2009

This school is great. It has 3 different programs AEP Bridges and Special needs

Posted October 7, 2008

I just started my first year at AEP. This school makes you feel right at home. The homework is no where near as overwhelming as I thought. I know that my time here will be the best of my life!

Posted August 28, 2008

Although Academy1's academic program is considered 'top notch' this school has zero tolerance! If you are accepted into this middleschool, you'll learn it is much different to all the other middle schools in the area. It's curriculum is based on getting the young and talented of today into a good school so they can be of importance in the future. however, it they expect too much of these students. If you have been to any other schools in the district you'll notice how different they are compared to Academy. Making a student 'skip a year' is just inept, children must learn slowly, rushing them into things they aren't prepared for isn't the best idea. I have to say though, it really does prepare them for top schools such as Mcnair. When deciding whether to go to this school, remember, three strikes, and your out :P

Posted August 28, 2008

I am currently a student at Academy 1. To tell u the truth, this school is very strict with discipline. There is lots of parental involvement but I feel that the teachers squeeze us with alot of homework and we never have freetime to do other things at home. This summer, we had projects for all of our subjects and each teacher never thinks about homework the other teachers give us. So, this summer was probly the worst ever being that we had a lot of homework. During the school year, we still get a lot of homework and tests and I feel that the school is in horrible condition. In my experience at Academy 1, I am warning you to either face the consequences and come to this school, or go to another school. If you want ur child to hate school and feel deppressed,this is the school for u!

Posted June 22, 2008

Without a doubt, the best school in the entire universe. I am a graduating student of Academy I in the class of 2008, and I can tell you that this school has taught me more about life and personal achievements than any other programs I have ever attended. A1 provides a carefully monitered environment in which students can reach their fullest potential through rigorous challenges. The golden quality of this school is that no matter what your personality is, we are all connected by invisible strings that link us to a common goal--academic acheivement. Every student in A1 has earned the right to go to ANY high school of their choosing because after graduating 8th grade, they have already taken HONORS courses of Freshman year of High School. Every teacher at A1 believes that any high school rejecting A1 students has just lost a valuable prodigy, and is their own loss.

Posted April 20, 2008

I am a graduate of Academy I Middle School, and am heading off to college next fall. Academy I is such an amazing, well rounded institution. The amount of work given to the students is extremely beneficial. I saved many of my projects from Academy I, and used them continuously through out high school. The teachers are phenomenal, they are caring, and each and everyone passionate about their subject. The benefits of attending Academy I do not stop, they have continued with me through all four years of high school, and I don't doubt it will end there. The work load is intense, once you survive it, high school is a piece of cake.

Posted October 21, 2007

I currently attend this school as an eight grader and I love it. The teachers in each grade help you everyday and they know what is best for you. They always show that they care about their students and they as well love their students a lot.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

All Students100%

Non-economically disadvantaged100%
General education100%
Non-migrant100%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students83%

Non-economically disadvantaged97%
General education87%
Non-migrant86%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

n/a

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Non-economically disadvantagedn/a
General educationn/a
Non-migrantn/a

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 37% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 74%N/A34%

• Ms Grace Moriarty

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

209 Bergen Avenue