Bad
Good

It's was just the first day of my sons school in grade 1 and we are from India. My son seemed to sync well with the day he spent and narrated every bit of the first day in school, which sounded very interesting. He was also awarded a few stars and stickers for answering questions in class and at the gym sessions. The teacher mr, Totaro seems very friendly and warm because my son mentioned that she is nice and caring. Overall I would believe the school is good.

Had our child attend since Prek This is a great school used to be the best elementary public school in Jersey City! They have a honors class style program that starts at grade 3 and its plenty of work teachers are hard working and caring towards the children and their academic progress.We hope to see better things at PS 6.

My kid attended Pre-K at this school, This school is good for PRE- K. Teachers are good, I notice my kid pick up good vocabulary, and positive thinking, developed attitude of respecting teachers and elders. Every day she admired her teachers. I noticed that the parent involvement is limited, they should have shared the ongoing activities and children feed back more frequently. A Monthly email notification of ongoing and future activities is what I would expect to as a parent. Other wise this is good and safe for Pre-K kid.

I am glad to be parent of PS 6 school student. The students are growing in all areas. Teachers are excellent in bringing the kids up.

I'm not sure if i can rate the school but I can tell you that the my initial greeting was one of frustration. I was turned away and advised to come back at another time to register my child. they were rude and provided no help for those parents who so needed a better explanation or were unaware of this schools particular registration policies which differ from those listed on the board of ed handout. I've not heard from the principle's both were to busy to take my call--but I know one thing. My daughter deserves an education and I deserve to be treated with respect and if that means taking time to explain yourself a million times then thats what you do. No wonder our public schools are in so much trouble they treat their communities with a lack of respect.

the school has many actvities but yet it is not as strong in education ever scienec mr messano left

I agree with the person who posted the comment dated March 2007. The school has gone down in quality ever since Mr. Messano left. The new principal speaks to parents in a condescending tone, like we were children. He does not have my respect. The 6th grade teachers that my son has are leaving the students confused and not giving them any sort of guidance. I need to sit with my son to try and figure out what the assignments are. I am very disappointed this year.

This school has gone down tremendously. The principal was changed, some teachers have been changed, the new middle school was not opened as promised and consequently it's not the same school it was in 2005. The teachers appear to be stressed and overloaded working int he conditions they are forced to work under. The conferences are now very limited in time and subject matter. My child definitely has not progressed. For classified students, the child study team is non-existent and the administration lies about services it claims to be providing when in fact they are constantly being caught not providing that which the I.E.P.'s mandate. It is now a real struggle to get them to do what they are supposed to do. It is disconcerting as a parent to be lied to by those to whom you entrust your child.

Last modified Jotham W. Wakeman No. 6 Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.