No rating

St. Theresa Grade School

Private | PK-8 | 255 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Kenilworth

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $285,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted March 13, 2014

We moved from public schools to catholic. My son is in the older classes. His transition went well and his teachers have been helpful. He was a bit behind the class and has been able to catch up without issue. I liked the small classroom environment and how actively involved the parents are. They offer a number of after school activities at no additional cost and their website keeps parents informed. The whole experience has been positive for me and my son and we will be back this coming school year..

Posted September 5, 2013

Hopefully things will change now. Unfortunately some of the hold overs need to go too. Then the school should be able to recover. As long as there are employees there that got their job based on hand shakes, there will always be some doubt.

Posted July 16, 2013

My son has been in STS for the last 5 years. He is a good student, at par with my friends kids that go to different school districts. I think that the school has managed to do its job in preparing my kid for advancement and being competitive. No school is without its issues and sometimes they come from the outside in and sometimes from the inside out. I'm curious how the school will move forward with the new principal starting this year and what changes will be enacted by her.

Posted June 18, 2013

This was my child's first year at the school. At first I was a bit confused as being our first year I didn't know all the nuances, acronyms and activities. Thankfully my daughter's teacher answered every one of my questions and I got to know parents at pickup that filled me in. My daughter developed wonderful friends and learned substantially during her year here. I loved the fact that she not only knew and was known by her classmates but from kids of all grade levels. Even the 8th graders would wave to her and interact. The family events (bingo! karaoke!) were a real treat. I feel so much a part of the STS school community as a parent. They have totally embraced us. I will point out I was surprised at many of the comments made here. I am, for lack of a better word, ethnic and I have found no issue w/ race here. Actually the school has a significant amount of diversity. I think behavior is mentioned often because as a catholic school, the curriculum incorporates character building by fostering natural virtues and developing the spiritual virtues. In so doing behavior is taken in high regard. Its not in anyway militant but they do adhere to a level of expectation.

Posted May 15, 2013

The most recent review stated that the positive comments about the school mention behavior and ask if it is programmed. Perhaps it is that those who see how wonderful this school is notice that good schools focus on more than just academics. Good schools are not driven by "teaching to the test", but by cultivating the growth of children, whether it be through teaching proper behavior, a focus on faith, comraderie, extracurricular activities, and a sense of community and family. People reading these reviews must realize that because a few select individuals have issues with the school does not make it a bad school. The overwhelming majority of people at STS love it there, otherwise they would not be paying money for their children to go to school there while also paying taxes in their own town for their district's schools. I strongly urge anyone seriously considering this school, to call and make a visit. Talk to the staff and you will see how much they care for the students, how invested they are in all of the childrens' well being. And, more importantly, talk to the students and hear from their mouths, how much they love their school and the STS family.

Posted April 16, 2013

This school is awful, my advice is to look elsewhere for a school for your kids

Posted February 25, 2013

I am more than surprised to read the negative comments about STS. Both my daughters have been at STS since Pre-K. My oldest daughter graduated 8th grade, and went on to the Magnet schools along with other 14 classmates. If the academics were so poor, these children would have never made it into that High School. Both my daughters have had their share of learning and behavioral problems. The school brought it up to us, only to support us 100% on the challenges we were facing. It's true that the behavioral standards are high, and not following the rules has consequences. For some of us, that is an important part of the learning process. STS is preparing them for life, not only academically, spiritually, but also in the discipline. Both my daughters have found at STS a group of friends that go beyond the school doors. The families work together with teachers and stuff to give the kids the best possible education. Is there room for improvement? Always! Have they listened to our concerns and requests? Absolutely! Curriculum has improved, lunches are much better, sports activities are growing in improving, and the after school activities are live and better than ever.

Posted January 30, 2013

my child is in Kindergarten and 5 and I'm surprised to read the previous review especially since the kinder glass is so diverse in itself.

Posted January 29, 2013

I give St Theresa an unsatisfactory. My 5 yr which attends this school since pre k and the learning environment and the staffs are horrible. On several occasion my daughter was made fun of by teachers and student because of her skin color and hair texture. I ve made several complaints regarding this and suggested they should incorporate a more diversified staff. The school work given to the kid is not challenging and is just basic. I would not recommend anyone to put their child in this school, for the amount of money you pay in tuition and what your child is learning it s not worth it.

Posted December 2, 2012

I would love to hear from other parents about class size. My children have been in Cathilic schools sice pre-k, so when we moved here I hoped for an easier transition. My son is struggling terribly, has nor friends. He is bright, and was tested by a child study team at suggestion of school. They found him to be a bright child who should succeed, but isn't. His self-esteem, academically wise, has tanked. Does anyone think 27 kids in class is to much. Also, he ran and won, a position on student council last year. This year he did not run, because school decided you needed straight A's to be on council. Sports require C. He has tremendous oratory, and leadership skills, but at every turn he is marginalized by school. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I am thinking of putting him in public school next year.

Posted October 23, 2012

My child never misbehaved, please don't make assumptions. That's not fair. Please only state facts. Fact is enrollment is down. Fact is more and more families are leaving, especially over the last three years. You can check that with the RCAN. Please do a little research on the organizations you are commenting on before you say things that seem like facts. Maybe if you had the facts, you would have a different opinion. There are a lot of former students now at St Mike's (Cranford) Harding or Brearley that are not only happier but excelling. St Mike's is a wonderful school and it is a privilege to be associated with St Mike's

Posted August 14, 2012

I am currently a parent at STS. My children go to the school. I have also been a student, alumni, of STS. The school, at all times, has been beneficial and played an important part of my life. I was involved in the past with sports, cheerleading, and received a strong academic background. The friends I made in STS, I still have today. My Christianity is based on the upbringing from my parents and the love of the Salesians. Due to this education, I wanted my children to be enriched by this school. They have wonderful teachers, who actually go out of their way to talk with me and my family. I am not a favorite of anyone and get treated with respect. Today my children receive an excellent education and one went to Magnet. Also, they have clubs such as social concerns, chess, yearbook, art, so many others. I love STS and do not understand the negative parents unless their children are misbehaving all the time and they need to always be in the office. I am a billion percent proud of STS. Salesian spirit lives on with all of us who are in their environment.

Posted June 4, 2012

My daughter has been in St. Theresa's school since pre-k, we have nothing but great things to say about this school. I am very surprised to see all the negative comments. The teachers are wonderful with the kids. There are a lot of after school activities to keep the kids busy. Not sure what went wrong for these other families to say such mean things, but I can assure you, St. Theresa school is a great choice for all your child's accidemic needs. Not sure what lunch has to do with their reviews, but if you focus on accidemics and not lunch menu, you will see STS is a great choice.

Posted April 4, 2012

We too had to leave. Nothing but problems with teachers and the principal. It was constant, non-stop problems. We honestly tried everything to work things out. We thought we were doing something wrong. We tried and tried. Then we learned from other parents that they were getting the same treatment. We talked to parents we knew that left the school and their kids are happy and doing well. We tried so hard to work things out but things kept getting weirder and weirder. The teachers are mean to certain students and it depends on who you are. So we left and things are great. We have no complaints now about the school my children are in. Even the lunches are better. I hope parents tell the truth when they leave a review, if you don't know what's going on there, don't say things are OK. That just gives parents false security. Things are very bad there.

Posted February 13, 2012

Excellent school and environment for your children. Great preparation for high school with many students receiving scholarships. It's too bad to see some negative reviews. I believe that some parents simply don't understand that the teachers and administration not only teach academics, they also teach them how to be good citizens. Isn't that one of the things you pay for when you decide on a Catholic education.

Posted September 29, 2011

another unhappy family leaving. am not happy with the direction of the school under this administration. sad considering it was was a great school.

Posted June 14, 2011

Not very Christian, the school has gotten away from the teachings of the Lord and now is completely run at the power of the administration. The rules change everyday and the kids are treated based on their parents standing in the community. I had to pull my 3 children out. Some children are singled out and some can do no wrong. Bulling is allowed based on the rules of the administration for that day. Some children will be called to the office and yelled at some will have there behavior squashed.

Posted June 13, 2011

We can not believe how fast this school went down. Completely about politics now. If you are a friend - bam you get a job in the school. We can not believe that the current leadership is taking the school in the wrong direction.

Posted May 21, 2010

I am so grateful to this school for all that it offers it's students. It is a warm and loving atmsphere. The academics are challenging. It offers opporunities to participate in many afterschool activities and events. Most of all it is a safe and happy place to learn. The kids are good decent kids.

Posted September 17, 2009

I have 3 children and all three go to St.Theresa school. I am very happy with this school. I had my children in a previous school and I have noticed they have change for the better

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Gym
  • Library
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Newark

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

540 Washington Avenue