No rating

Calvary Academy

Private | PK-12 | 300 students

Our school is know for rigorous academic instruction and solid Christian values.

Living in Lakewood

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $203,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Posted June 16, 2013

I went to this school from 5th to 8th grade and did not like it whatsoever. the kids were very cliquey, the teachers were overly strict and there was a lot of gossip. I feel like they dont show you the real world and when i left i was oblivious of reality.

Posted February 12, 2013

My son entered Calvary Academy in 7th grade and graduated last year. He recieved an excellent education in a caring Christian environment. The teachers were outstanding and very well educated. Recently they fullfilled the requirements for accreditation by both ASCI and Middle states which is the same accrediting body used for all Accredited schools in New Jersey. My son is now in College studying engineering and is doing exceptionally well. Calvary Academy definetly provides the student with the tools they need to succeed in a competitive academic environment.

Posted February 13, 2012

I grew up going to public schools and I saw first hand how kids were shuffled through the grades regardless of grades. There was no communication between parents and teachers. I decided to send my son to a private school for a better. The school has a great family environment. We know the administration due to their kindness not because my son misbehaved. The education he receives at Calvary is priceless. He is doing a lot of subjects which are done in later grades in public schools. He has been gradually introduced into advanced work over the years. The teachers are very friendly and are always in contact with me regarding my son's education. Most parents don't realize that in order for their kids to succeed in school they have to be a part of the kids education, in and out of school. This school is excellent and I recommend it to anyone who wants to give their kids a great education. As long as a parent realizes the teacher is not a babysitter,, the teacher is their to help the kids succeed and reenforce the importance of a good an education at home, the kid will succeed in any school. Keep this theory in mind and your child will excel with Calvary Academy!!!

Posted November 14, 2011

Excellent in the academic sense, but quite lacking in the leadership, the discipline, and the courtesy of the students. Going there made me feel like I was nothing, like I was a mistake. I was bullied, yelled at by teachers, punished if my handwriting wasn't perfect or if I didn't write my name, given lunch detentions if I didn't do two questions on my math homework etc. The students had their cliques and unfortunately my best friends had moved away. So I was left alone. All this happened when I was in elementary school! On the upside, I recieved an outstanding education that has allowed me to continue on to excell adacemically far greater than most other students do. But in the end, don't waste your time or money.

Posted April 6, 2011

I love it there. There is sime gossip and cliques but what school doesn't. The teahers are extreamelly nice and helpful. Very Christian and i love it. I would definatly recomened it for a school.

Posted May 29, 2008

I went to this school for four years, and I learned a lot there. The curriculum was excellent, but I always felt pressured, and some of the children there were unkind. They were cliquey, and I would always feel left out. THerefore, I do not recommend this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 21, 2008

My child was in the Pre-K program for 2 years, and didn't continue to Calvary Academy for some disapointments I had in the pre-K, I considered that my daughter didn't receive a good education for the money we were paying. She is in a public school now but unfortunately she is not doing well, the teacher in the public school thought that my daughter didn't receive any kind of Pre-K preparation since she was not even ready to recognize letters or numbers; we had to work very hard everynight to make her get the basics in reading and writing. The Kndrgten Teacher in the Public School thinks that my child is bright, smart and very inteligent but she was not prepared well for Kndrgten, since now the public schools' standards are higher than previous years. She is in disadvantage comparing her to other children that were in public Pre-K programs.

Posted February 26, 2008

Calvary Academy was a great school for my sons who are now attending college. My children made many lifelong friends while attending Calvary and they were also very involved in sports. The teachers and staff at Calvary are the best - they did a great job in preparing my children for college. The administration is caring and knows each child on a one-to-one basis. Calvary Academy has been a blessing to my entire family. I would HIGHLY recommend this school!

Posted January 16, 2008

Schools are only as good as the parents who involve themselves with teachers and administration. My child attended Calvary K through 3 (we moved out of state) and I felt that he received a superb education. Even at the young level, they took really great field trips that were attached to their lessons...more than 4 times a year. The Principal is outstanding. She is warm, caring and very understanding. The environment is firm but caring and each child is treated with respect. I received progress reports and updates throughout the year and was never disappointed in the quality of education Calvary offered. The children are very close to each other as many of them continue on from K - 12 year after year. I'm sorry we couldn't take the school with us. I would recommend Calvary over any elementary school in the area.

Posted January 11, 2008

While Calvary is a member of Chrisitan associations, they are accredited by none and have not made any formal request to become accredited. Many teachers need to be trained on computers and lack the high standard of degrees needed at other schools. For the money.....poor choice.

Posted September 15, 2006

My child attended in the 2nd grade and I thought the curriculum was great; however, the staff there was not as patience as they should be. They were more concerned with having the children be military students than giving the opportunity to express their creative and actually be children. Their expectations were very unreasonable in regards to the child and their behavior. The staff exhibited no emotional support which is not a positive attribution. Therefore, all in all, my child was challenged educationally, however he was not provided with social and emotional support he needed and we as parents did not receive their moral support. Overall, I would not give a recommendation.

Posted September 12, 2006

This is the best option for a Christian education in the Monmouth/Ocean county area. My son just graduated from Calvary this year (he attended 1st thru 12th grades) and was accepted to Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania, which was named to one of Barron's Guide to the Most Competetive Colleges in the US. SAT scores at Calvary, on average, are higher than all of the surrounding public school systems. The school is definitely Christ-centered and faculty and administration are committed to providing the best possible education and spiritual environment for the children.

Posted May 15, 2005

I had 2 children that attended this school briefly. I had to take them out because academically and emotionally their were suffering. The administration and teachers were not accommodating to the parents or children. The teachers had too much authority. They are also not what I would call a good christian either. I had referred 5 other families to send their children to Calvary and they all were dissatified and eventually them all took their children out of the school. The end up placing them in public schools because of the bad experiences with Calvary a suppose to be christan school. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 27, 2004

My daughter is in the 9th grade and she has more friends than the previous Christian school she had attended. There are better teachers and education and also godlier administration with a clear conscience that I trust my child with. I support this school and will recommend them to others.

Posted September 9, 2003

My son is in the 2nd grade and has been at Calvary since K. Great admin. and teachers alike. This is a terrific school with all learning drenched in Jesus. I highly recommend this school to any parents that want their child to learn high quality academics and have everything based on the Lord.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 14% 9%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Arts (all)
  • Music
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

School start time
  • 8:05 am
School end time
  • 2:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Melissa S. Payne
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old

• College prep
  • Direct instruction
  • Honors track
  • Independent Study
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

• Arts (all)
  • Humanities
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Religious
  • Service learning
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Foreign languages taught

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Art room
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom