Bad
Good

Recently moved here. So far very, very impressed w the grade five teachers, staff, child services. One of first grade teachers very unapproachable, defensive, teaches to the curriculum NOT the child. Had a meeting w principal and first grade teacher who proved to be very unknowledgable. and was then told by the teacher that perhaps private or homeschooling would be appropriate for my child as she was advanced. Told that they dont do individualized plans for children at this age. Very misinformed and sadly uneducated teacher. The other first grade teacher is supposed to be fantastic. Sadly very disappointed and hoping our experience w the fifth grade teachers and staff is the norm at this school. My first grader who was a passionate kid in math and other subjects now very sadly turned off math... Unfortunately, will have to pull her out to homeschool as very little support for children in early grades that are advanced. Can't say enough wonderful things about the upper grade staff and teachers!!!

Initially my husband and I struggled with the public versus private school debate. We couldn't be happier with the decision we made for our daughter. She is happy, enriched and surrounded by caring and dedicated staff. We love West Amwell!

Thank You to all those who posted positive comments on our school. As both a parent of four and the current School Board President, I am very proud of our school. When we first moved to West Amwell my wife and I were concerned about the size of the school. However, it has been a blessing. The staff is passionate and the entire community is engaged. The Board is mostly comprised of Parents and not those seeking a political platform. From a full day kindergarten, to music, spanish, robotics, science fairs and multiple extra curicular activites everyone seeks to provide a life long learning experience.

My daughter is in her 4th marking period at West Amwell, and I have only good things to say. West Amwell is one of the few districts in NJ with full day kindergarten - a definite plus! The class sizes are small, so each child gets a tremendous amount of attention. No child can go unnoticed/fly under the radar. This kind of attention is so critical during their early education. I have friends in larger districts who describe classes of 22+ in half day kindergarten classes, and I realize how lucky we are. In addition, everyone knows my daughter's name (secretary, gym teacher, music teacher, even special ed teacher - and my daughter does not require special ed!). It is a nurturing, positive environment where my daughter is flourishing. My only criticism would be the building, but I would not trade the quality of education we are receiving for state of the art facilities.

As a parent of a kindergarten student from overseas, I was a little anxious as to how our child would settle into a small and close knit community school. I needed to have no concerns as the quality of education (very high) is matched by the open, friendly nature of the faculty and PTO. Great school.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this school. I have one child graduated from this school and another is in the school. Both of them excelled academically and socially. The school administration, staff, and the PTO have done a great job. The education is great. Most importantly it provides a loving environment for the children. My children love all of their teachers, classroom helpers, principal, and superintendent. We just love this amazing school.

What's not to love about West Amwell? This is a small, community-based public school with a private school 'feel.' I have had children in this school for 6 years now, and our family's experience has been tremendously positive. The students score quite well on state standardized tests are clearly well-prepared for middle school by the time they graduate. The teachers are enthusiatic, creative, and caring. Our school building may not look new, and we may not have all the 'bells and whistles' of larger districts, but in the end I don't feel that these are the most important things about a school. I feel my children have had an extremely positive, well-rounded experience in a very nurturing environment. The teachers and administrators KNOW my kids extremely well, and have been able to provide them well a great deal of individualized attention. My kids have thrived here, academically and socially.

Not sure why anyone would be disappointed in West Amwell Elementary School. It is a small, family oriented school with parents and faculty that are actively involved which makes for a wonderful environment for young children. The test scores are above other leading school districts in NJ -- higher than Princeton, Montgomery, etc. Don't let the little school fool you -- it's wonderful. It is an older building, but you certainly can't judege a book by it's cover!

If you are looking for a quaint, close knit school that offers a great education, then West Amwell is the place! The administration is extremely professional, they know and care about each and every child and if a child has trouble, or some kind of challenge, administration and teachers come together to find what is best to solve the issue. We have an amazing parent support group, a strong BOE and the people who live here appreciate what we have. One of our children is through the school, two more remain, and we are thrilled with the experience we have had so far. I, for one, like to be able to call my child's school and identify myself by my first name and be known. How many parents can say that about their child's school in an enormously populated state like NJ?

The administration at West Amwell is very unprofessional and my husband and I continue to be very disappointed in our child's education at this small district.

Last modified West Amwell Township Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6