PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I just want to start this review saying that this is the sixth school I have ever been to in my life. I have been from public schools to catholic schools to alternative schools. This school is the most amazing school I have ever been to. A rigorous program, yet one still has time to do after school activities. They offer drama, fencing, and other activities I have never been offered from any other school. They teach a grade ahead in almost every subject. As the new kid, I was shaking the day I walked into that school. I was accepted almost immediately, and the teachers were more than happy to stay after school to explain something to me. I have learned how to write well, analyze literature, diagram sentences, and 100+ new vocabulary words. The math program is excellent. I can finally be confident that I can get into any high school of my choosing (Update: I have!). Numbers of their students have gone to Biotechnology, High Tech, etc. These are two of the top ten schools in the COUNTRY. I did great on my state tests and most of the teachers make classes fascinating. Teachers share a mutual respect with students and they WANT their students to succeed.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The teachers are VERY involved and the guidance counselor will talk to you about anything. If i had any issues, I would go straight to her. :)

Supports LD students: Neutral

I honestly wouldn't know, as this doesn't pertain to me.

Effective school leaders: Agree

I personally knew both Mr. Pacelli and Ms. Murray, both very wonderful people. I had talked to them about projects and proposals for a book drive and they were extremely (above and beyond!) receptive. My biggest issue? Mr. Pacelli would go around and observe the teachers teach, and the teachers would put on a huge act. Maybe they should employ some undercover students? ;)

Develops character: Agree

They work to get people to be respectful, they really do. Most of the kids I knew were generally good-hearted and welcoming.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Not all the teachers were good, I'll definitely admit that. But, overall, they gave me a great foundation for my future education. I had some teachers there who really did touch my heart. My biggest concern? Some of the teachers were constantly on their phones!

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Lots of homework. It was difficult, but it prepared me.

I attended Oak Hill from Kindergarten to 8th Grade. All of these reviews glorify a school that is not advanced and will not help your child get ahead. When I started high school, I was behind students who went to public school. That was a shocker to me because I thought I had attended a strong school, but that was not the case. If you are a prospective parent reading this, please reconsider your child attending this school. If I could go back I would have begged my parents to pull me out of this school.

I graduated from Oak Hill in 2012. After 10 great years at Oak Hill, I can tell you that many of the negative reviews you will find below are absurd. If you work hard and meet the school's high expectations, you will have the opportunity to attend nationally recognized prep schools such as Lawrenceville and Philips Exeter as well as prominent local high schools such as CBA, High Tech and Biotech. My teachers were all very passionate about their work and took a personal interest in each student's success. They were always there to help. Additionally, through its more advanced curriculum and new facilities such as the Soler Science and Environmental Center and a Harkness room, Oak Hill continues to strengthen its program so it can better prepare their students for high school and college. I was better prepared for high school than almost all of my freshman classmates. Finally, Oak Hill students not only get an in-depth educational and moral foundation, but we also learn how to work hard so each of us can succeed in life.

How ironic that all of the 5 star reviews occur consecutively after negative reviews. I live in a great public school district and my children attended public school. I was MISLEAD into believing that Oak Hill Academy would offer a nurturing and academically challenging and rewarding environment. I pulled all of my children out of public school only to find out that "the grass wasn't greener" at Oak Hill Academy. After 2 years at Oak Hill my children went back to public school to find out that they were not academically advanced and in some instances behind (I had to hire a public school teacher to tutor one of my children to place into an advance placement class because they did not teach up to the standards of the public school district.) I was so optimistic but throughly disappoint with Oak Hill. What a waste of money. It is better to hire a tutor to supplement the academics that the public school may lack, but better to let your students have a normal social interaction with their true peers in the public school!

Last modified Oak Hill Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8