4-8 & Ungraded
Middlesex, NJ

Posted January 28, 2015
Up until 4th grade the Middlesex schools are great. Then you find out the truth and how your kids are just another number. Mauger is one of the reasons my wife and I decided to leave town. We have a 6th grader who has been in the school for 2 yrs and 4th grader who is in first year. The first child was messed around with and had all classes switched around the morning of the first day of middle school. Like it wasn't stressful enough to begin with. She was given a dinosaur for a teacher who phoned in his job until he retired on the last day of school. Also to top it off her other teacher left abruptly 2 months into the school year and she was left with a sub for the rest of the year. The second child started the year with a sub who had no idea what was going on. When the real teacher came back from 3 months leave her other class teacher decided to retire abruptly in the middle of the school year. Both kids have continuity problems with teachers and also disruptive kids in their classes bothering the students. That's can be expected when using substitutes as replacements for full timers. Needless to say this school is poorly run and is not getting better.

Posted December 23, 2014
This school is really disappointing and is definitely below average. It's like the boring schools you see on TV. Not recommended.

Posted March 17, 2014
I am a student of Von E Mauger middle school. Please do your child a favor and don't send him/her to mauger. This school is probably the cheapest school in the country. The school lunches they serve are incredibly terrible and there's no air conditioning; let alone students can't even drink from a water bottle with the exception if the temperature is 95 degrees ferenheit. The staff members are also terrible. Please do the favor and send your child to another school Yours honestly, KLM

Posted October 25, 2012
I read many of the reviewed here including the one from the teacher saying....that "they cared"....yes, I do believe a "handful" of you do care....but then you have the ones that don't, but then again, that comes with any school district...I have a son in high school in his junior year who was part of the 504 program and teachers cared about him like there was "no tomorrow", when it came to my youngest son, they sat in the meeting...like" why are we here"....kinda attitude!....I suppose they were like that in 2011 because of all Chris Christie cutbacks....at least, that is the impression I got. I did not grow up here in Middlesex, my husband of almost 50 years old did....I am not very "fond" of the Middlesex school system at all! Sorry, but that is how I feel....my youngest is in 8th grade, he is not a trouble maker, but is a "social butterfly"....I have been very fair parent when it came to comments the teachers have made and never said..I had the perfect child....the principal is a very, very kind gentleman and I adore him.....it's not him...so to speak....it's the ..."system"....having a middle school go from 4th-8th is not a good idea....there are ways to rearrange the system

Von E Mauger Middle School

Posted October 12, 2010
Both my children have gone there. I truly believe they are ther to support the students and educate them the best they can even with all the recent budget cuts

Posted September 03, 2010
My experience with this mediocre elementary school was horrific to say the least. Both of my children now attend Immacullata High School which is not only far more superior when it comes to education, but also the environment is disciplined. My biggest complaint about this school..... NO DISCIPLINE! On several occasions I entered this school to retrieve my children only to see hallways cluttered with papers and books. The staff doesn't seem to care that the students leave their books all over the halls. As I walked down the hallway I noticed wall locker after wall locker over flowing from top to bottom with garbage and clothes to the point where they can't even be closed! The students seem to be running wild in this school. There is no visible form of order, and the staff appears more concerned with being the students friends, rather than being the educators and disciplinarians.

Von E Mauger Middle School 5

Posted June 19, 2010
This year was my first experience at Mauger, as my oldest is in fourth grade. The elementary school teachers (Hazelwood) try to scare you and say that the teachers don't care as much and it's a big school. That was not my experience at all! The principal, Mr. Heidt is down to earth, approachable and really seems to care about all of the kids. He interacts with them at their level, he doesn't talk down to them and he has complete control; the kids really seem to respect him. My child has Ms. Scheller and Mrs. Morgan this year. I can not say enough wonderful things about Ms. Scheller. She is a fun teacher that is very creative and really teaches the kids grammar, poetry, writing, literary discussion. I have seen an incredible improvement in my child due to Ms. Scheller's diligence in the classroom.

Von E Mauger Middle School 2

Posted March 04, 2008
I am a student and throughout my experience I find that in many circumstances that the faculty or school officials are very discrimative. My brother has always been denied a.p classes even with perfect scores. I also find that some teachers choose favorites and lower standerds for those favorites. I've also encountered teachers who deducted points foe having a paper that was 'too long' with no set maxinium amount.

Von E Mauger Middle School 4

Posted August 04, 2007
My daughter is will be in 6th grade this year.I could'nt be happier that she is a student here. She has blossomed academically and intellectually. The teachers are awesome especially Mr. T who encouraged his student to excel in anything they do. hopefully some of the teachers will learn from him..

Von E Mauger Middle School 2

Posted July 06, 2006
I attended Mauger as a child, at that time it was 6th - 8th. My oldest just graduated 8th and my youngest is due to start 4th there in the fall. We are currently looking to move, due to this school. There are a few good teachers, but a few too many bad ones. The school is grossly under staffed and over crowded. Behind on academics, the after school program seems to be getting a little better. The principals run it more like a juvenille hall then a school. But the BOE will continue to ignore the problem and will never admit to making a mistake.

Von E Mauger Middle School
Fisher Avenue, Middlesex, NJ  08846
Last modified Von E Mauger Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Von E Mauger Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top