Mater Dei High School

Private | 9-12

Student diversity

Living in New Monmouth

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $353,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,480.

Sweep tile

Posted February 20, 2014

IMBASEDCANT LIFE PHIL CANT GOES THERE NOW WHY THIS CRUEL WORLD MAKES HIM LEAVE HIS OLD SCHOOL TO GO TO THIS. MAITER DEI. THEY EVEN SPELT DAY WRONG. REALLY NOW DAY... ANYWAYS, I HOPE YOU TREAT MR. CANT WITH RESPECT AND HONOR BECAUSE HE IS LEGIT.

Posted January 7, 2014

Mater Dei Prep has definitely upped their game. Each student receives a laptop. The classes are well taught. The school is very small and religion is a big part of the curriculum. This school has definitely prepared my child for college. Other schools such as SJV, RBC, and CBA can't compare. Mater Dei Prep in my opinion is the most superior Catholic Preparatory school in all of Monmouth County. If you want your child to have a great high school experience and a superior education consider sending your child to Mater Dei Prep.

Posted March 7, 2013

This school was a monumental waste of money, morality, and education. If you compare the academics to SJV, RBC, RBR, MN, MS, RHS, they simply cannot offer the same level of advanced classes as any of these public or private schools. I am an alumni of this place and refuse to give 1 penny to this failed institution. This school fails to show any competitive advantage to the afforementioned schools besides student/Teacher ratio, and any teacher worth their weight has already left for other Parochial or public school where Meritocracy is valued above Cronyism.

Posted June 4, 2012

This is a very small school. If your child is not part of the "in" crowd they will not like it here. As far as the teaching goes they are okay, but for the price I would send my child to SJV or RBC instead. They are bigger and better staffed schools. There are a lot of kids in this school with learning disorders and those who had problems fitting in to other schools. The staff plays favorites with certain kids. It really is a very insular community here and if you aren't one of the players (aka teacher, coach or staff) your child will not get far.

Posted June 12, 2010

Just like with anything else in life, Mater Dei is what you make of it. It has a small but dedicated staff who go that extra mile. We have been late with payments here and there and have NEVER found the office staff to be rude or condescending. They actually have worked with us over the years. One of our children graduated from MD and is now in college. Our other child is presently enrolled at MDHS. Our experiences there have been WONDERFUL!

Posted June 9, 2010

This is the second year in this school and my last. I have seen favoritism one too many times and the office staff are rude and condescending. There are about 3 good teachers but the rest can't teach.

Posted May 20, 2010

This school has a lazy administration and guidance staff, if you could call it that. No one really does anything all day, and the teachers fail you unless you donate a lot of money to the school. There are no rules or deadlines. The school's enrollment has decreased to under 300 and will inevitably close.

Posted May 1, 2010

The school is wonderful. The teachers are caring and concerned for every student. They have put in place many programs for accelerated college studies. College placements are very strong.

Posted November 4, 2009

Both my children graduated from Mater Dei with honors. Great teachers, great school.

Posted October 17, 2009

MD is an excellent alternative to a public high school. its deffinatley the 'door holding' and 'conversation with anyone' type of crowd. teachers really look after you like one of their own. it can be a little tricky if you dont find a group of friends right away, but thats true of any school. the athletic programs are inclusive and wants everyone to participate no matter what. theres so much respect among the student body, and although theres very little diversity, we are all very different. i would highly reccomend this school to anyone.

Posted March 15, 2009

i love mater dei. I honestly believe that mater dei is the reason that I have been accepted into many top colleges and recieved a lot of money to them. Mater Dei is a great school, but you have to be prepared to work hard.

Posted January 8, 2009

I LOVE Mater Dei! The teachers are great- really seem to care about us as individuals. Glad I chose it.

Posted November 23, 2008

I love the school, the teachers are the best, I am learning everything that I will need in the future. I recommend this school to anyone. You have to work hard. Anyone giving a bad review simply can't handle the school rules and work. They should go to public school where no one cares what you do for the most part.

Posted October 21, 2008

I hate this school so much. As bad of a reputation as it had it is even worse than you think. The school is no fun. But the good things are mr. Miltner mr. Matassa and ms. Lattimer other than that and big all rabuffo this school is absolutly horrible

Posted July 7, 2008

I am going into my third year at Mater Dei, and as much as some people like to complain about it, I believe that in Mater Dei you reap what you sew. I put a lot of effort into my studies and I am recieving a good education. I know other kids that don't try at all in school and they will not be prepared for college. A lot of people choose to blame the school and administration for their child's unsatisfactory progress; but is it really the school's fault if a child is unwilling to learn? Mater Dei is trying to prepare students for their adult lives and when you are an adult, you will not be spoon-fed. I know that I am no smarter than the next guy, I am only more dedicated and that is why I am succeeding.

Posted January 25, 2008

This school's enrollment has been steadily dropping over the past four years. It's the same favoritism, 'old-boy' network going on, based on how much money has been given to the church. The 'laptop' learning technology they advertise still does not work. It's very expensive, with a small return on investment.

Posted June 9, 2007

I am currently a sophomore at Mater Dei High School. I went to a public grammar school and I am very happy that I chose to go to Mater Dei for High School.The students are all very nice and you get a chance to know all of them because of the small size. Parents are very involved in volunteering and PTA. We have several interesting school events that benefit our school and the community. These included the fashion show, In Bloom Fashion Show (all clothes in the In Bloom show were designed by students), the walk-a-thon, and the polar plunge. Since I did not know anyone going into the school I decided to join the field hockey team. I had never played field hockey before but everyone helped me out. I became pretty good at field hockey and I made many good friends. I would recommend MDHS to anybody.

Posted January 20, 2007

There are very few academic programs, aside from some very basic courses. The quality of the students is disappointing to say the least. Not the best environment or learning atmosphere. The school focuses largely on sports programs, but has very few extracurricular activities. School has very poor policy regarding student discipline, thus there is a constant sense of anarchy and pandemonium.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 20, 2007

Mater Dei is an expensive school, not at all worth the cost. The teaching staff is lacking in some cases. The students themselves are not a very nice crowd. They aren't nice to one another, are disrespectful to teachers, and teachers have minimal control of what is going on. If you are considering this school because it is a Catholic school, be forewarned: it is not a 'Catholic' environment. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Posted November 21, 2006

Our daughter is a junior at MDHS and is getting an excellent education. She transferred from a public high school and we feel she NOW is getting the academic preparation needed for college. The teachers care about the students and take the time to get to know them. We are very happy with our decision to send her to MDHS and NOT public high school.

• Frank Poleski Jr.
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious