Newark Vocational High School 1

Posted May 24, 2013
I worked in this school doing an outreach project & I was constantly challenged by students. I found the staff/faculty sadly worn down from the abrasive nature of the student body. Student's curse, speak inappropriately to each other, bully each other, use racial slures, male students berate & disrespect the female students, & hurl sexual assaults at gay students. If I were a parent of a student at this school, I'd be outraged. The school's culture can be better than this. School used to be a safe place for students to grow & learn in, but in this school, I felt unsafe as an adult visitor. It's a very hostile environment the minute you hit the front door. Hostility, aggression, anger...is in the hallways as well as the classrooms. I don't know how the teachers manage to educate students when they're constantly being cursed out by students and physically challenged all the time. About 15% of the students I worked with respected the education they were getting. 85% of the class I worked with was abrasive & disrespectful to me as an educator; unfocused, easily triggered, & unable to control their impulses, language, & behavior. There's no way kids here are learning anything

Newark Vocational High School 1

Posted August 29, 2010
I agree the school has come a long way but cosmetic surgery isn't everything. Aside from the name change and updated facility the school lacks merit in scholarship. How can test scores go up when the necessary tools needed for such is lacking. Highly qualified teachers and leadership that is genuine! Test scores are going up but clearly not at NVHS; you're in the bottom five percent....come on man

Posted December 10, 2009
This is a wonderful school that has come a long ways under the present Principal. Staff and student attendance is over 90% and test scores are going up. As a parent you can truly feel the school culture from the moment you enter the building. You can tell that they value education in a family like setting.The student are well behaved and demonstrate they value their education. The environment is safe with very few incidents and the teaching staff work hard to improve student achievement and raise their performance on district and state standardize test. There is still work to be done, but I will do my best to support this school's efforts and highly recommend that other parents get on board and do the same. Collectively we can make a difference. The school cannot do it without a strong parent body that supports student success! Go Eagles!

Newark Vocational High School 2

Posted June 07, 2009

Newark Vocational High School 2

Posted August 29, 2008
As a graduate of NVHS now in college I'm finding out how limited the academic challenges were, except for english and history. The other classes did not have high expectations for students. It was hard to concentrate because there were soo many students who had no plans for the future. I am not sorry that I attended and graduated from NVHS but I wish that more teachers were like Ms.Braton and Hohl.

Posted July 27, 2008

Posted October 31, 2007

Posted August 26, 2007

Newark Vocational High School
301 West Kinney St, Newark, NJ  07103
Last modified Newark Vocational High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newark Vocational High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.