Science High School

Public | 7-12 | 761 students

We are best known for Sci.Res Prog/Debate/AP Courses.

Sweep tile

Posted November 29, 2011

Very PROUD alumni (Class of '96)... I am VERY grateful that once I received my acceptance letter that my Grandma insisted that I attend Science High. Although I must admit I initially had my heart set on attending MX Shabazz to be a member of the Lady Bulldogs Bball team. And not only did i received an excellent education, many valuable life lessons, was exposed to an extensive amount of versatility,...and countless others, had I attended MX Shabazz I would have never had the opportunity to be Science High 1ST EVER 1000+ point scorer (Male/Female). I am glad that the students currently have the luxury of enjoying a wonderful building, although yall are getting the enjoyment that us alumni was promised b4 a lot of you were even born. It's cool though because our future truly needs ALL the POSITIVE exposure they can be given. So I thank you again Grandma (R.I.P.) for your insistence and I thank ALL of my teachers, counselors, coaches, administration, office ladies, and I def can't 4get Ms. White (School Nurse).

Posted August 14, 2011

I am proud to be a Science High Alumni (Class of 95). I can only pray that this school continues to maintain its excellent rep. May the students continue to excel and not fulfill the stereotypes that comes along with the city of Newark.

Posted October 9, 2010

Newark children need all the exposure to science that we can provide.

Posted October 9, 2010

it's great! especially the math department!

Posted April 10, 2010

Science Park High School is a great, well-rounded institution. As stated by its mission statement, it's purpose is to introduce students to different ways of thinking and a plethora of courses, necessary for success in the real world. Currently, I am a senior at Science. Though the administration needs a little more work (for instance, they need to expel all those incompetent students that are making our school look bad), Science Park is the best thing that has happened to me. Extremely diverse, academically rigorous, comprised of bright and innovative students; Science Park shines the most out of all schools in the City.

Posted April 7, 2010

I am currently a Freshman at Science Park and i have been attending that school since 7th grade. I would have to say that it is one of the best schools academically, but just because the school does well with the grades does not mean the students are the greatest. You would be suprised at how many of the staff call us rude and disrespectful. Yea there are a few of us (i can count them on my hands) who will never get in trouble but trust me when I say we get into alot of petty drama. You wouldnt belive it. So dont be fooled by the smarts because we get into just as much trouble as the non-magnet school students. We just get our work done as well !

Posted October 3, 2009

Science Park High School is a great High School because of the education you get there. It is highly strict therefore you get exactly what you deserve. There are many activities to join so it's not all about academic achievements but also about enjoy the time spent at the school.

Posted August 26, 2009

I would say SPHS. I currently attend there and it is wonderful! This coming September I will be a Junior andall I can say is that SPHS is the best and will be the best. We might be given vast amounts of homework, but overall we have the best scores in the city.

Posted September 5, 2008

SPHS is the best, great teachers determined kids and surrounded by a cluster of universities

Posted May 21, 2008

SPHS is the best high school in Newark and i know because i attended there. It was the best before they moved, imagine now! I recoment the best students to attend there.

Posted February 16, 2008

Currently, I attend SPHS. I strongly believe that is one of the best schools out there. Despite the fact that it is in Newark, Science makes sure that the ill-fated things that occur in the streets do not interfere with our educational environment. This school has a lot to offer and the students that attend it, sure do take advantage of it. They may give vast amounts of homework, and acquire extremely rigorous work (test/courses), however that is the reason why the students become prepared for college and the real World.

Posted January 31, 2008

It could be a little better staff coud care a little more. But of all it an okay school I know because i attend it as well

Posted January 30, 2008

SPHS is a great school and i should know because i attend it. Its the best hs in Newark and one of the best in NJ. I love SPHS...

Posted January 10, 2008

I graduated from Science in 04' before they moved. To tell you the truth I think that this is a great school. Despite all of the outdated things he needed and our lack of actual school facilities (like a gym) we got the best education in Newark. there is no doubt in my mind that Science High prepared me very well for college. I will be graduating college in May 08' and I owe a lot of it to Science High!

Posted December 13, 2007

I Love this school so much. I love being a student there.

Posted October 24, 2007

We have a new building. We are the best high school in the city of newark. Take a look at our standardized test scores. I attend there, and I am loving it.

Posted October 19, 2007

Science is not the best school in the state, but without a doubt the best high school in newark. With the new building, now called Science Park High School, there's the security we've never had before and a clean environment. As a student there, I've noticed an increase in courses available including a few AP classes and a better gym experience. At the old building, we had to go over to the YMCA for gym and its availability was limited. Now, we're able to have regular gym class in the gym or outdoors in the soccer field and swimming in our Olympic size pool. I couldn't have asked for a better high school experience or teachers. They are incrediable. I haven't met many with such passions for teaching in the same building before coming here. Come for a tour and sit in, you'll see =)

Posted September 6, 2007

The school is O.K. overall. The administration always lacked from the Principal on down. And as for the students I would say that the majority, when I was on my way out, acted like a bunch of thugs. Personally, I would never enroll my kids there at that time I attended and I doubt much has been done to change that. However, on a good note, the teachers made the school what it is. Mr. Khichi, Ms.Bopp, Mr.Rippey, Mr.O'Neill, Ms. Flores, Mr.Bristol, Ms.Stawsky are but a few of the fine teachers that should be commended for their fine work in educating Newark's Youth

Posted August 21, 2006

Science High School is an excellent high School. I graduated from Science HS in the Class of '06,and now I attend Princeton Univeristy.I owe it all to Science High School, and the amazing teachers that work there. Science High School is, and forever will be the best school in Essex County, and one of the best in the state! It is not long before it will become one of the best in the country!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 13, 2006

Excellent teachers, but horrible administrators. When I was there, the building was filthy and no one followed any rules. If you got caught doing something wrong you could just talk your way out of it. We NEVER even had fire drills.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Female95%

Blackn/a
Non-economically disadvantaged100%
Non-migrant100%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Male93%

Science

All Students100%
Non-migrant100%

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

All Students99%

White100%
Non-economically disadvantaged98%
Non-migrant99%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 76%N/A33%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Italian
Japanese
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • NCLB Blue Ribbon School (2009)
  • NJ Chemistry Olympics (2009)
  • #50 Top Ranked Schools in NJ (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Chinese (Mandarin)
  • Italian
  • Japanese
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports