PK-8 & Ungraded|Public district
1,082 students|Newark School District

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted July 23, 2015
they give us like 8 homeworks a day and som people have some stuff to do but they cant do it because of the homework they give me as a sutdent

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 23, 2015
well they give you fareness to because the school is really equal until if you are really bad i a school

Posted July 23, 2015
I feel this way because when i go to school no body makes fun of me and when ever stuff gets really hard for me they help me and they is always people wanting to help you even when it getting really hard times for you people are also really nice and you will always be treated really awsom

First Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted September 05, 2013
i do not like this school. i have been there for three years sinse 2nd grade and has found multiple problems in this school. bullying is a major part of this and very disrespectful teachers to. On the rare years that we do get a good teacher s/he will usually quit within the first few months. terrible school with an endless list of problems.

First Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted June 21, 2013
SIt is a fabulous school. My son had very low grades and had no care for school until he began attending this school. He was assigned to a teacher by the name of Mr. Chaimowitz also known as Mr.C., he is an outstanding teacher. My sons grades shooted up to A'c and B's and is very eager to go to school. He comes home on a daily basis talking about there class room assignments and how awsome his teacher is. I can't thank this teacher enough for all the hard work and dedication he contributed to his class. Thankx to this great school my son has been accepted to technology high. That school rated 2nd best in the United States. Thanks to First Avenue School my son is lucky enough to attend that school. I hope both my daughter's have the privilege to have Mr. C. As one of there teachers in the future. Even though all the teachers are wonderful. Thank you so much First Avenue School. You all are the best...

Posted May 01, 2012
THIS IS SUCH A GREAT SCHOOL FOR MY CHILD. GREAT SCORES, GREAT TEACHERS, GREAT AREA FOR THE KIDS.

Posted May 01, 2012
EXCELLENT SCHOOL I AM A VERY PROUD PARENT TO HAVE MY SON ASSISTING 1ST AVE SCHOOL. MY CHILD COMES HOME WITH THE BEST GRADES, ALL BECAUSE THE TEACHERS TAKE THERE TIME IN HELPING MY CHILD. ALSO THIS SCHOOL AREA IS GREAT ALWAYS HAVE THE POLICE OUT THE SCHOOL TO WATCH FOR THE KIDS.

First Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted December 14, 2011
I am sorry to say but this school is not great at all. The principle is rude and the teachers well I have my reservations too. My sons teacher stated that he will pass all students who show effort. I'm sorry but children should not be pass/recieve a passing grade for efford. You cannot pass the NJASK or your SATs by showing efforts. Then there is the basketball coach (very irresponsible). The music teacher discouraged my son from playing because he missed a note (my son has been playing for 3 years). Teachers do not have the patients in this school, and it seems the leadership is lacking. My son told me how the principle screamed at the teachers (in front of the students). If you don"t have money to pay for private school, you child is stuck in less than mediocre education.

Posted November 13, 2011
This school is the best school my children have ever attended. The teachers are so caring and so attentive. I have to say, when I first met the principle I didn't like her, we exchanged a few words which I thought were very inappropriate coming from a principle. It's been two years and I've learned her way. She really cares for the children and their education and the whole entire staff. We have to remember, she is just ONE person in charge of so much. I think she's doing a great job and so are the rest of the staff.

First Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted September 23, 2011
This School is HORRIBLE!!!! The principal lacks professional skills, and a lot of the teachers have no idea what they're doing. My daughter complains that when she asks for help with her math material, they refuse to help her. They give her attitude, and then she comes with homework and has no idea what she's doing. The principal is NO HELP!! I think it's time for a new administration and teachers that want to teach and see these students succeed!

214 First Ave, Newark, NJ  07107
Last modified First Avenue Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
First Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top