PK-6 & Ungraded
Newark, NJ

Posted November 04, 2009
Harriet Tubman is a National Blue Ribbon Public Elementary School located in the inner city of Newark, NJ. The school has a reputation of high performance. There is a constant waiting list to be accepted into this school. The principal Mrs Terrell and her staff work very hard to keep our children safe and focused on acheivement. They treat the children as though they were their own. All of the students that attend this school go on to attend Magnet High Schools.

Posted March 06, 2008
Harriet Tubman is a great school. Wonderful staff and parent involvement is superb.. Most of all the principal is outstanding. She supports her teachers and students. What is school without great support from the leader. Thank you for being apart of my childs life. I love you all.

Harriet Tubman Elementary School 4

Posted September 19, 2007
Well organized learning environment. Teachers and principal work closely togethere to achieve high results in student academics. Friendly and caring staff.

Posted October 04, 2006
My son has attended Harriett Tubman since Pre-K. He is now in 1st Grade and I must say that I am extremely glad that he is a student. The faculty is excellent and everyone from security to teachers including the principal is very active in the daily lives of the students. Ms. Ramos, Thomas, and Ms. Kilgore were and still are very inspirational in my son's education both academically and psychologically. One of the greatest asset of the school is the feeling of safety and security that it expels. The parent liasion Ms. Benet and the school nurse Ms. Richardson are also wonderful assets to this great school. I am truly impressed and thank-ful for everyone at Harriet Tubman.

Harriet Tubman Elementary School 4

Posted June 20, 2005
My son attended Harriet Tubman for the 2004-2005 school year. He was a student in Ms. Copprue's 2nd grade class and I have nothing but good things to say about the school and Ms. Copprue in particular. [My son] left home every morning ready to excited and eager to begin his day. Ms. Copprue was extremely patient and she was able to help bring out the best in [him]. Ms. Coppru was also excellent at providing feedback regarding how we could all help move [our son] to the next learning level. Put simply, Ms. Coppru is awesome! My family recently relocated to Summerville, SC. I pray that I find more teachers like Ms. Copprue.[My son] misses her. He talks about what he learned in her class and what fun he had with her as his teacher and mentor. -Mrs. Sheronda Parker

Posted July 23, 2003
Harriet Tubman is a wonderful school for any child to attend. It's unfortunate that you must live in the area to attend. Not only are the teachers concerned about the children's education but also the principal, Ms. Terrell. It makes you feel good when your child receives his/her report card (be it good or bad) and there are comments on it from the principal. My daughter has been a part of the Harriet Tubman family since 1999 and she has really progressed academically. They also understand that the children need an outlet so the security guards coach some of the extracurricular activities. Now, doesn't it feel really good to know that you have involvement from the teachers, principals and security guards.

Posted April 22, 2003
I love Harriet Tubman Elementary School in Newark, NJ. I had such a bad experience with my child's former school. I always wondered if my child had received the best education from her former school. I transfered her in October of 2002 to Harriet Tubman and I have been happy ever since. The dedication and academic excellence is out of this world. My child's teacher Mrs. Constance Clark has impressed me more than words could ever say. She constantly encourages parent and teacher communication and involvment. Her day as a 'teacher' does not end at 3pm with school, she truly has an 'open door/phone' policy. She always encourages us to call with questions or concerns about homework and/or our children well being. Ms. Clark made breakfast for Black History month and invited all the parents to come to the classroom in celebration of Family. It was a wonderful experience for the children and the parents. I am very comfortable in trusting my child will receive the best education and instruction from Ms. Clark. I think she should be teacher of the year! I'm truly grateful that my daughter is in a school where it's more than a 'job' for the teachers and principal. It's our children's futures that are more important to them. I would give Harriet Tubman, the principal and all the staff an 'A+'!

504 S Tenth St, Newark, NJ  07103
Last modified Harriet Tubman Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harriet Tubman Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top