PK-8 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Miller Street Elementary School 5

Posted August 29, 2013
I love That school is like a big family , teachers are the best they always care my kids and teach them well.....

Miller Street Elementary School 1

Posted September 20, 2012
This school is terrible, My child has shown no improvement what so ever being there since prek4! i would've liked for this school to have been closed down, but unfortunately it is still up and running. The principal cares little for certain students, no etiquette, no nothing! Some teachers do show compassion , respect and make an effort to help your child . . but other than that . . . . it is TERRIBLE! I HIGHLY DISLIKE THIS SCHOOL!! IT DESERVES NO STARS NOT EVEN ONE!

Miller Street Elementary School 5

Posted June 28, 2011
I just graduated today June 28th 2011 t Miller Street School , we rate number 1 in reading 180 program ( i was in a regular class though) Miller has lots pride and the students are nice caring i was there since kindergarten and now i'n leaving for ninth grade going to university and if it was not for my teachers teaching well i would be going to shabazz . As a former 8th grader as of today i really miller is the best

Miller Street Elementary School 4

Posted October 03, 2010
Miller Street School is striving toward excellence daily. Collectively parents,maintanance, office support staff, aides, teachers and administrators begin each day stating our purpose / expectations for our children, school family and future. As a school we continuously work with familiesand community to help support the progress of our children. We do have challenges, and meet them head on upon discovery, everyone is held accountable for ensuring the social, emotional, academics and safety of our students. Miller Street School is not perfect - however we have staff that care for / about the well being of our youth. Many of our middle school students remain after school just to talk with staff, seeking individual attention in subject matter / nuturing and guideness. We have a diverse school family culturally and economically- we encourage each member to share their strengths and offer support when possible.

Posted March 24, 2010
This school actually has wonderful and caring teachers. They have a difficult time with student behavior issues and that is what is keeping this school back. The principal is not very supportive of the teachers but the assistant prinicipal is. I have to agree with the review from 2004 the morale is very poor amongst teachers because of the lack of support and difficult students. A good discipline plan needs to be implemented and followed for any progress to be made. There aren't many consequences for bad behavior however good discipline plans focus on rewarding good behavior not just punishing the bad ones.

Posted June 05, 2004
Parent involvement is the main factor in determining student success. We can not leave all responsibilities to the teachers all the time. Having said that, I did have my children enrolled in the school last year. They were having problems with reading and math and this year after placing them in a private school I have seen drastic improvements. Private schools do have less discipline problems and the reading and math curriculums were better.

Posted February 23, 2004
I believe this is a poorly runned school. I registered my children here and on the very first day I witnessed three very young students runninbg around in the hallway hitting each other with a hard cover book. A teacher walked right by them and said nothing. I asked the teacher is in fact he is a teacher. He replied 'yes'. This school has security and these students were roaming the hallways with no care. Also, the athletics in this school is horrible. There is no moral amongst the teachers. I did speak with one teacher that had horrible things to say about the running of the school and lack of teacher's attention to push for 100%. This is very sad and I have no choice, but to have my children in this school due to the district rules. Someone should come to this school and investigate how this school is run. I've seen actual fights among students and the only one out there to break it up was a substitute principal. Where was the security. They need real security guards!

Miller Street Elementary School
41 Miller St, Newark, NJ  07114
Last modified Miller Street Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Miller Street Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top