PK-8 & Ungraded
Newark, NJ
Students enrolled: 1,015

Posted June 10, 2014
My son has been attending Oliver St for the past 2 years and although I'm satisfied, I'm not overly impressed. My son has been lucky enough to have attentive and caring teachers who listen to what I'm saying and work with me to make sure my son is getting a good education. When my son started at Oliver St in the 1st grade, he was ahead of his class. He was excelling in math and reading but wasn't being challenged by the curriculum. I brought this issue to the attention of his teacher and the principal and they worked with me to develop a plan to help him move forward. He was taken from his first grade class and put into a class with second graders for reading and math. He is now finishing up his 2nd grade year with another thoughtful, caring, and attentive teacher. She has gone above the call of duty by keeping me informed of his progress/challenges. She noticed that my son is an avid reader and has encouraged his love of reading by supplying him with books that entice and challenge him. My only issue with the class this year is the homework or lack thereof. The homework he receives is unchallenging and rarely a necessary reinforcement of a newly learned lesson.

Posted June 14, 2013
My name is steven chen and I use to be in Oliver but I tranfer at fifth grade . Anyway while being there it was fun and I really learn a lot.But I missed my friends too.

Posted March 29, 2013
My school is fun, you learn alot and its just the best. most of people's life is chaged like me I was a girl that didnt like school but now im in Oliver Street School I get honor roll.I think I improve more and I can do alot of things. I like how all of us can learn happy we can all do this. My school dont need improvement its amzing - student at oliver!!!!

Posted November 11, 2010
Oliver street has change its even better this year new prinicipal new everything the inside is great the teachers some have been transfer lazy ones has gone out and the rest who cared they were kept into the school with a new prinicpal he keeps on track on everything im glad they've change the rules its about time they are now concern with the safety keep track on students education they make it fun to learn rules there must be followed and i havent seen no other best middle school in newark except oliver im glad that these words are coming out from me because i know its true

Posted January 03, 2007
This school year for my child has been a nightmare. I dont think the schools is really that great is for this reason that I will tranfer my child out. Teachers dont care. They are not really motivated the teach our children they are to stress out on there personal issues

Oliver Street Elementary School

Posted May 23, 2005
This is my sons first year at oliver and i can say this is a pretty good school when it come to his teacher she is great keeps my well informed on how my sons is doing he loves her. The principal is at great leader for this school she is a sweetheart. One thing i do have to say is when it comes to the safety of our children this is a big concern some of the staff.

Oliver Street Elementary School 1

Posted April 22, 2004
oliver is greatexcept some teachers that are always stressed out with their students but the principals are great.

Posted April 01, 2004
In my opinion oliver is a great school to go to. Of course with exceptions of some teachers and the office staff. Oliver is a very united school, and is capable of doing many things. People in there say that 'we are a family' and that is true. Some of Oliver's teachers send out a very good attitude that students should look up to. In this school they have all kinds of activities to be involved in and no one can say that this school does not give opportunities because it does. I'm not a big fan of going to school, but once I get there I can say that I don't really mind because I know I have teachers and friends who care for everyone inclusing myself!

Oliver Street Elementary School 4

Posted September 04, 2003
My daughters and I have just moved and they had to go to another school but I was reading the comment made by another parent and I strongly disagree, my daughter was also in special ed and I had not one problem with her at all and she was in many different activities, such as best friends, and chorus. I do agree many of the parents don't seem to be involved like they should be but that is not the schools fault only the fault of the parents themselves. The office staff was always very helpful as well as Mrs. Golden and Mrs. Reimer. and all the teachers as well will be missed greatly by my daughters and me.

Oliver Street Elementary School 2

Posted June 16, 2003
My child is in Special Education Class at this school. My daughter begged me the entire year to take her out of the school. My daughter only went on 1 trip. Had no concert, plays or involvement in any school activities. The attitute of most of the staff is very negative towards the special education students. This negative attitude has rubbed off on to the students and they were treated like outcast the entire year. They should have a bit more consideration towards these children's emotional well-being. I believe this school needs to be educated starting with the office staff, every teacher and all the students. It was a great dissapointment to see my child become a child that did not enjoy going to school. This entire comment is for the entire school with the exclusions of Mr. Whittaker and Mrs. Maged who are the only teachers aware and capable to handle these children. They also gave my daughter hope and assurance that not the whole world is like that.

Oliver Street Elementary School
104 Oliver St, Newark, NJ  07105
Last modified Oliver Street Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oliver Street Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top