PK-8 & Ungraded
Newark, NJ
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Parents: As I begin my third year as the Principal of Peshine Avenue Preparatory School, I would like to thank you for your support. Together we have maintained a spirit of enthusiasm and pride and continue to move forward in our collective dream of making Peshine Avenue Preparatory School a Blue Ribbon School! Please contact me often, as your input is critical fodder for making mid-course corrections, to ensure our children and stakeholders receive the excellence of services they deserve! I look forward to hearing from you! Wanda Brooks-Long, Principal
October 13, 2009

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School 3

Posted February 15, 2012
Peshine Avenue can be a great school. Parents should be more involved in their student's academics and reinforce good behavior. There are some wonderful teachers/staff members that go above and beyond the politics to ensure that our children become educated members of society. It starts at home. Don't wait til something is wrong to come visit the school. Join the parent Academy, the PTA, Parent Book Club, and so many other programs for parents that have been created that should be utilized.

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School 4

Posted February 13, 2012
Against many odds, I have to say that the school spirit amongst the students are uplifting. Peshine has that "family" atmosphere. Kudos to the teaching staff for their efforts in building the Peshine community and providing as much support for academic achievement as they can. We have crossed many puddles and mountains, but the greatest lift is that we don't give up on the students.

Posted February 13, 2012
Peshine Avenue has a great staff that works hard. They are very dedicated and go beyond the call of duty

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School 3

Posted February 13, 2012
This is my son's first year here and I must say honestly there is some good and some bad expericences with this school as there would be with any school. The good: If your a very involed parent come to this school become a volunteer I have had nothing but the best experience with it thier parent liasion goes all out for us parents. Majority of the teachers are wonderful and are actully here for your child's(dren) to learn not just here for a pay check. They offer a lot of classes/programs for the parents (ie) microsoft word, fitness, book club, esl french and spanish.

Posted February 13, 2012
The staff really care about the students and are continuously improving themselves professionally to better serve students and their parents.

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School 4

Posted February 13, 2012
The staff is friendly and supportive. I love the way the students represent school pride.

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School 1

Posted November 07, 2011
This school does not deserve any starts. My daughter moved from a school rated 9 to a school rated 1. When she moved here, everything she learned in Kindergarten and preschool they were teaching again in First Grade. Her 1st grade teacher tested her and said she was reading at a 3rd grade level. My daughter is in 3rd grade now and I am teaching her fractions and long division. Without my dedication to her education she would be in bad shape. My niece is in 5th grade and while I was helping her with her homework I realized that she was developing gaps in her math. She did not learn long-division yet, even though they are teaching her to adding/subtracting negative numbers now. How does that happen, they are glazing over this material not really teaching it to the kids. This school has many other problems too numerous to speak of here - similar to other urban environments. This school is constantly on the verge of a lawsuit. As an informed parent I know better. The principal is the best they have had in years, but she has a lot of unfavorable qualities that I am not too pleased with. She is very much a dictator. The teachers have the worst attitudes I have ever seen, no compassion.

Posted June 19, 2008

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School 0

Posted January 11, 2008
Peshine has the potential to be a good school. The problem is that the administration for the last several years has been inconsitent to say the least. There is no sense of support from administration for the staff which leaves the staff on a dead end when dealing with the students.

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School 1

Posted May 09, 2007
The administration does not support the teachers and they sure dont support the students. Everyday my child tells me about a fight where there were no consequences, that their teacher told the office and nothing happend, and that their class was disrupted by outside students (from the hallway, next door).

Peshine Avenue Preparatory School