No rating

St. Vincent Academy

Private | 9-12 | 310 students

We are best known for freshman and service programs.

Living in Newark

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Sweep tile

Posted March 11, 2014

As a parent, I feel that this school is not right for my daughter. Some of the teachers are very rude & disrespectful to my daughter as if they have a right to. They also show favoritism to some of there students

Posted November 5, 2013

My School is St Vincents Academy Newark NJ. This school was and still is one of the best schools around. I loved SVA and my experience there. The Freshman team, Ms. A, Ms. Cap, Ms Anicarico (not sure I'm spelling that correctly lol" were awesome! I graduated in 1986 and in 2003 My neice decided to attend SVA and guess what? The freshman team was still there! OMG! Those ladies were and are dedicated to the young ladies they teach. I loved it at SVA.

Posted June 23, 2013

I'll admit, I wasn't too keen on being in my first all-girl school. In all my years until a freshman at Saint Vincent Academy, I went to a co-ed school. Now finishing my freshman year I have to say, it was the best year and I couldn't even have imagined to experience. It was easy at first(to me), but soon got bumpy and challenging.The freshman teachers are forward, loving, and are motivators. They pushed us forward to make ourselves more than what we already were. Some of the teachers even went to the school, so they understand how we feel! On the other hand, they don't want us to give up and put less effort when we have so much potential.I love this school and I'm positive that your daughter would as well :)!

Posted June 21, 2013

As a current student of Saint Vincent Academy, I am learning many things and growing everyday. I love that the teachers care and push you to your goals. I do wish we could have more young teachers but I love every single one of them. I love Saint Vincent Academy and I cannot wait for my sophomore year!

Posted February 26, 2013

I had 2 daughters attend SVA. They hated it at first because of the all girl factor, but their social lives were not lacking so everything worked out. I have to say at times I wanted to pull them out because some of the Administrators speak to the parents as if we were the students. At the end of the day, I'm glad we didn't pull them out because I can tell how far my daughters have come compared to their other peers. It is a great school; however, you must practice patience with the Administrators. It's their way or the highway! Which is good on one hand, but no flexibility on the other.....I have no regrets. Both girls are doing great in college.

Posted December 14, 2011

I only wish that this school had more younger teachers. If this school invested in more teachers with more energy and passion, then I would've given SVA 5/5 stars. I remember being in some classes bored out of my mind, almost asleep! Many of these teachers should be retired already! They can barely keep up with the work they give us.The teachers can't relate to students on a student level because of their age. I feel so distant from some of them. How can you expect energy from me when you have no energy within yourself? All in all, I think that many of these teachers should be considering retirement and SVA needs to consider letting in energetic, young teachers in the classrooms. I believe it would be beneficial to many students attending. If you're looking for a school with young, new, experienced teachers, St. Vincent Academy is not the school for you.

Posted June 16, 2010

I am an alumnae of St. Vincent Academy's class of 2005. If you are looking for a school for your daughter that will prepare her for the real world and definitely college, this is the school to pick. When i first arrived at St. Vincents (SVA), I struggled through freshman year. The classes were more difficult than what I was expecting. However...My teachers pushed me to try and taught me the skills that I would use to succeed in SVA and college. I will never forget the work ethic and real world experiences that SVA prepared me for. At this school you will learn to skills necessary to make it out here in the world!...THANKS SVA FOR EVERYTHING!

Posted May 20, 2010

I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN THAT MY DAUGHTER WOULD ATTEND ST VINCENT FOR SOME REASON. THEN, CO-WORKER AFTER CO-WORKER INFORMED ME THAT THEY ATTENDED ST. VINCENT. MY DAUGHTER IS A SOPHMORE NOW AND LOOKING FORWARD TO GRADUATING FROM ST VINCENT. SHE INITIALLY WASN'T HAPPY WITH MY SELECTION; BUT SHE IS NOW. SHE HAS GROWN SINCE BEING AT ST VINCENT. SHE IS QUITE FOND OF A NUMBER OF THE TEACHERS. THEY HAVE A CARING DISPOSITION AND EXPECTS THE BEST FROM "THEIR" STUDENTS. THEY ARE NOT UP FOR FOOLISHNESS NOR DIS-RESPECT. THE TEACHERS, THE STAFF AND OF COURSE THE PRINCIPAL IS VERY ATTENTIVE, APPROACHABLE AND ENCOURAGING. I WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD THE GOOD NEWS OF ST VINCENT ACADEMY. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL.

Posted March 22, 2010

My daughter is now a sophomore at St. Vincent Academy. St. Vincent stands for everything that I believe academically as well as socially. No one gets by with anything and the students are challenged to succeed and the standards are high. Assigments must be turned in on time and are graded accordingly. Miss a beat, and your grade is lowered or is exactly as it should be. There are no second chances unless there is extenuating circumstances. Principal as well as teacher leadership is excellent! If you are looking for a good school for your daughter, stop at St. Vincent Academy.

Posted January 19, 2010

My first impression of the school was that it was behind other schools and they didn't know how to teach. Now I know that this school is anything but behind, in fact it may even be ahead of most schools. It's also small and let's you get one on one attention. They challenge you as much as they can. The fact that it's an all- girl school shouldn't matter either. You'll meet boys because there's alot of activities you can get involved in.

Posted November 25, 2009

As a current student in my senior year i beieve that this school is where you learn how to be respectful, mature, loving and you find your true self. I just think that saint vincent is a second home where you have that one on one realtionship with ypur teachers and you have the best support system in this school. I hope that others will take the opportunity to appreciate what this school has

Posted August 27, 2007

As a former student, I can say that Saint Vincent Academy is more than a school, it is a community that stresses the importance of leadership, sisterhood, and volunteerism. As a student you grow academically, socially, and spiritually, and as a graduate I can honestly say that I use everything SVA has taught me, in everyday life, from the office,in which I work, to my home.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 22, 2006

When I was applying to high school, I was looking for a secondary school that not only had a challenging academic program but a loving community. I found both of these characteristics as well as many others at SVA. SVA gives its students a quality education as well as values. It's not just a school, it's a home with a loving family that will always be there for you. I am grateful to have found such a wonderful school.

Asian 4% 8%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school public, charter and private elementary schools throughout Newark and surrounding communities
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (973) 622-1128

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught

Foreign languages spoken by staff
Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Newark

• Dance

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • We have a very active parent/guardian guild and formal parent guardian meetings take place at school at least seven times a year. teachers and counselors are readily available to parents as needed. as part of our service learning program, students-in-community, students volunteer at more than 25 different nonprofit community organizations throughout the greater newark area.