4-8 & Ungraded|Public charter

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

I'm happy to learn this school lives to see another day. My cousins went about 15 years ago when they were on Washington Street. I had heard it was going to close because the principal had become such a big problem. But now they have a new principal who has been there since the school opened and even helped start the school. My two kids are so happy the old principal is gone and can't wait to go to school.

Amount of homework: no rating

In previous years the amount of homework was ridiculous. But that principal is gone THANK GOD and I'm hoping this year there will be less than five hours of homework.

This school has helped my child not just academically but helps her to care for others.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school develops honesty, integrity, and FAIRNESS for my child. She has learned so much from the amazing principal about what it feels like to have a second home. Most of all she has learned how to help her community and care for others.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The students learned firsthand what it means to be treated unfairly and the outcome for a principal who fosters such an environment. They will be more likely to treat others fairly as a result.

EXCELLENT school led by a wonderful, caring leader. Ms. Weiland possesses the passion, care and "tough love" that is so necessary for the success and future of our children. She challenges the students every day to create, discover things on their own, pushing them to do their very best, bringing out the excellence in each of them. She cares deeply has always made me feel a part of the Discovery community. She makes herself available to discuss my child's progress on any given day always giving thoughtful, honest advice when it comes to my child's learning and growth. I am pleased with the person my child has become and I owe it all to Discovery and Ms. Weiland's continued commitment to excellence. My child is academically stronger and more confident. I highly recommend this school to any parent who wants more for his/her child academically and who is serious about being part of their child's learning. I'll be honest, it's very rigorous but if you remain open and committed, you will reap all of the benefits this school has to offer. (A very satisfied Parent!)

Great school. Unfortunately, it's run by a dictator who needs to turn in her ID. The staff and cofounder make it worth going. But the leader causes more harm than good. Needs a new principal.

For those parents who think the concept of hard work is too much for their children, they should take a look at the 8th grade numbers. You are doing your child a disservice by not believing he/she can handle the work. This is a great school.

This school is actually one of the fewest schools in Newark not affiliated with the so controversial One Newark plan and I applaud Discovery leadership for not joining. The standards here is very high and is partly based on the Montessori theory of education. since I transferred my two kids in this school, I have the greatest peace of mind that my kids are in the best learning environment, that they are working hand in hand with a highly experienced teachers and they are ready for a brighter future in high school and in college. Don't be discouraged by the amount of work, you will be surprised how your child will build up his confidence and independence. You will see the difference when your kids interact with kids from other schools and you will be so happy you brought them to discovery charter.

Do not put your child in this school. It will sadden their spirit and they will begin to dislike school. Tremendous work over-load..=(. The class work and home work they give these students is ridicules. There is no time for family time or even for self. My child has stayed up 1 to 2 in the morning doing home work. It's just to much. The are no extra curriculum activities for these students. I don't like the conventional set-up. there are no walls just open space,while the principle sits up high on a stage and looks down low at the children. just not a good feel when entering.

Last modified Discovery Charter School is a Charter school