4-8 & Ungraded
Public charter
Newark, NJ

Posted May 10, 2015
EXCELLENT school led by a wonderful, caring leader. Ms. Weiland possesses the passion, care and "tough love" that is so necessary for the success and future of our children. She challenges the students every day to create, discover things on their own, pushing them to do their very best, bringing out the excellence in each of them. She cares deeply has always made me feel a part of the Discovery community. She makes herself available to discuss my child's progress on any given day always giving thoughtful, honest advice when it comes to my child's learning and growth. I am pleased with the person my child has become and I owe it all to Discovery and Ms. Weiland's continued commitment to excellence. My child is academically stronger and more confident. I highly recommend this school to any parent who wants more for his/her child academically and who is serious about being part of their child's learning. I'll be honest, it's very rigorous but if you remain open and committed, you will reap all of the benefits this school has to offer. (A very satisfied Parent!)

Posted April 22, 2015
Great school. Unfortunately, it's run by a dictator who needs to turn in her ID. The staff and cofounder make it worth going. But the leader causes more harm than good. Needs a new principal.

Posted September 26, 2014
For those parents who think the concept of hard work is too much for their children, they should take a look at the 8th grade numbers. You are doing your child a disservice by not believing he/she can handle the work. This is a great school.

Posted September 25, 2014
This school is actually one of the fewest schools in Newark not affiliated with the so controversial One Newark plan and I applaud Discovery leadership for not joining. The standards here is very high and is partly based on the Montessori theory of education. since I transferred my two kids in this school, I have the greatest peace of mind that my kids are in the best learning environment, that they are working hand in hand with a highly experienced teachers and they are ready for a brighter future in high school and in college. Don't be discouraged by the amount of work, you will be surprised how your child will build up his confidence and independence. You will see the difference when your kids interact with kids from other schools and you will be so happy you brought them to discovery charter.

Discovery Charter School 1

Posted February 17, 2014
Do not put your child in this school. It will sadden their spirit and they will begin to dislike school. Tremendous work over-load..=(. The class work and home work they give these students is ridicules. There is no time for family time or even for self. My child has stayed up 1 to 2 in the morning doing home work. It's just to much. The are no extra curriculum activities for these students. I don't like the conventional set-up. there are no walls just open space,while the principle sits up high on a stage and looks down low at the children. just not a good feel when entering.

Discovery Charter School 1

Posted March 21, 2012
My child has never attended this school, but I did apply and from the attitude of the Principle, it changed my mind. When I went to fill out an application and the Principle did was not have the attitude of greeting a Parent in a mannersome way. All I was told by the Principle after she looked at the application, was there was no room and if my child attends.... It would be a lot of work for him... I don't know what brought this on, but I'm a working Parent and there was nothing on that application for her to even think my son couldn't handle her school, because thats what I got out ofof it.

Posted March 04, 2011
Ms Hall and Ms Wielande do an outstanding job with the newark children in this charter school. My son had an attention deficet disorder and it was hard for him to stay focused. They work with him and gave him the tools and assistance to succeed. This school has a very unconventional set up but it works because the teachers are focused and make it work. This school is gearing our kids to compete at the highest level at whatever they want 2 do. Some students complained that it was too much work and not enough play Maybe our kids need more work and less play. Enroll urs, u wont regret it.

Posted December 15, 2009
My daughter absolutely hated this school when she first started. She complained that it was too much work and not enough play. I told her 2 try it 4 a year and then we would discuss it. I tell u truth, as of today, there is no other school she rather be. She is learning ALOT and she is enjoying what she learns. I have seen a HUGE difference btw her and her peers who attend reg. public schools. She was part of a team the built a boat and actually tested on a real river, being engaged alot of mind challenging activities. No other schools are exposing their kids to what she has already been exposed to. This school is gearing our kids to compete at the highest level at whatever they want 2 do. Enroll urs, u wont regret it. Maybe our kids need more work and less play.

Discovery Charter School

Posted September 30, 2009
This school has a very unconventional set up. There are no definite class rooms and some students are secluded and enclosed in makeshift cells with a small desk behind a room divider. I recommend parents thinking about sending their child here to make sure they find out everything about how this school is operated and how the students are treated.

Posted September 23, 2009
I've attended this school , when i was attending this dchool i felt like i was being put through hell. The homework amount is very large. But it was worth it now. I attend a private high school , thanks to Mrs. Weiland and all of the teachers.

Discovery Charter School
303-309 Washington Street, Newark, NJ  07102
Last modified Discovery Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Discovery Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top