North Star Academy Charter School of Newark

Charter | K-12 & ungraded

Living in Newark

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $109,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted August 25, 2014

My grandson will be in the 6th grade this year 2014. He has been attending North Star since Kindergarten and he is a High Honors Student. I think North Star is an excellent academic school. My grandson complains about the teachers not giving them time to explain themselves when something goes wrong. This is breaking his self esteem and after reading some of the other review from the parents, this is an ongoing problem. My grandson rarley gets in trouble at school, but when does it's something minor and that is because he is still a kid. For example he was trying to fix his bookbag on this chair and the teacher called him out or someone in line pushed the kid behind him and the kid bumped him and the teacher just happended to turn around and see him out of line. This is crazy to me. My opinion of some of the teachers is that they have Book Smart but not enough Common Sense. North Star please try to get it together because we do not want to pull my grandson out of North Star for nonsense.

Posted August 17, 2014

This school is a very hard and strict school.As a student there I understand what they r trying 2 do but I used 2 love school but now I hate school.They put a lot of stress on me and they make me want 2 die just knowing I have 2 go there. They make me feel as if I'm not good enough and that I'll never be good enough.I have lost a lot of weight going 2 this school due 2 the stress it makes me have.I have alot of self hate 4 myself due 2 this school.If u get in trouble they will yell and spit in ur children's face.They have no patience and the pace in this school is 2 fast.Plz take my warning because this school will tear ur child down like it has done 2 me

Posted April 11, 2014

North star never gave a chance to my son. They lied and broke an innocent child hope to be part of north star academy team. Before and After going through the enrollment process; I was told that each child will be sent to the nearest school depending on the zoning. But I guess that was not the case. I live on zip code 07104 they sent my son all the way to clinton avenue. I have spoken to the principal several times to transfer my son to the nearest school she only wrote down my info and no one never got back to me. I went to the downton campus same running around. They wanted my ten year old to travel miles by himself to go to school. I know that it is a free school but they should try to make it easier for parents particulary when you are a single working mother and do not have anyone to help pick up your child after school. As a parent i believe child safety is very important to our children and teach them how to be independent . my questions are: Is this discrimination? Why they couldn't send him to the nearest school when we live just few blocks away from the downtown school? I still don't understand why? Please help thank you

Posted April 3, 2014

My daughter attends North Star and I must say she has excelled the most out of my 3 children. I wish all children where educated in these type of systems. North Star is a prime example of excellence in top education here. To all the highly dedicated teachers there. They all deserve high recognition all year round.

Posted March 28, 2014

I have been in this school now for 1 year and a half. Honestly I feel to much pressure there. They say it is bully free but in reality it's not. If you ask your child how really feel about this school they will mostly likely talk about stress they expect you to be perfect 24/7 and I hate. The teachers get mad at you for the stupidest reasons and I feel torched. Ism judged by every one there by my grades not who I am. Before you send your child here ask them if they are okay with stress!!

Posted January 13, 2014

This school on N. 15TH Middle school is like boot camp please do not make the same mistake I made putting my child in there. They learn and get prepared for college but they torture the kids by putting alot of stress on the child. North Star middle school on 15th street is not for every child in Newark.....The pressure they put on the kids is ridiculous..definitely an uncommon school...learning is suppose to be fun too, they really make it stressful..sorry North Star middle school on 15th...Im transferring my child out and not recommending any child to torture lane!!...they also get too much homework, Im talking packets..your child has to be perfect....no is perfect!

Posted August 22, 2013

well, i just applied for my son who is going to the 5th grade to North Star, i choose North Star for so many reasons including great academy performance, classroom size, extra curricula activities and so on. i strongly believe is a great school.

Posted May 6, 2013

This is the most awesome school ever!!! The principaland the teachers are the most dedicated people I know. The principal works tirelessly to make sure the curriculum and the teachers are on point and make changes based on the needs of the kids and the desire for all of the children to go to college on a full scholarship. The students can call any of their teachers until 9 pm for help with their homework. Tell me, where would you ever get that?!! They make sure the school is safe, the children are courteous to their classmates, teachers, and parents. No bullying or foolishness is tolerated at all!! They are truly on top of things @ North Star. They don't give any child an excuse not to do well. If you don't do well here it is because the child and/or the parent are not doing their job. Period. GB

Posted April 9, 2013

This is a wonderfull shool I will transfer to this school until the end of the grade
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 18, 2012

What an excellent school to send your child its safe no child is left behind if they struggling in a subject the teacher will stay after school to help wherever subject she needs help in they may have alot of homework but if they don't finish it they would stay after school and complete it. They do not play in this school they teach the students to have manners. They also go on trips educational trips and at the end of the year they may go on a camping trip boat trip its real nice from all the hard work they let them enjoy there self at the end of the year. They get them prepared for college too.

Posted October 27, 2012

This is my daughters second year in north star and she loves her school. Yes it challenging but isnt that what you want for your child. My daughter is in first grade and has been reading since two months after she started kindergarten. Now she is reading on a second grade level and she's doing multiplication and division word problems in the first grade!! I love this school the teachers are great and the curriculum is outstanding a huge step above regular public school. Which i know for a fact because i work in a public school.

Posted June 6, 2012

After three wonderful years at North Star Elementary, we are forced to find another school due to a relocation. It has been a very long road in locating a school that is able to meet our expectations, however, we have finally been able to devise a plan. I will definitely miss the tight-knit community, and all of the wonderful staff. Keep up the great work!!!

Posted July 22, 2011

I am extremely happy to take this opportunity to congratulate the Vailsburg Campus Middle School on a job well done. The administrative staff and the teaching staff have set high standards for the scholars. My daughter transferred from an excellent school district to North Star. At first I had my reservations as to how she would handle the demands placed on her as a scholar at North Star. However, the teachers there helped smooth her transitions. She complained in the beginning about all the work. But now she independently comes home and starts her homework. Thanks again to the Vailsburg Middle School staff for all of your hard work and efforts. Parents please be advised that North Star is a second education for us as well. When you decide to sit down with your child have a computer or dictionary handy. The education is nothing like the one we received back in the day. Keep up the good work !!!!!

Posted November 15, 2010

Positively stellar school with the right mix of accountability for all parties. Expectations are made clear for the teachers, the parents and the students too leaving little room for excuses. The curriculum is top notch - very organized and intentional. I can't praise this school enough. When a teacher is absent (not at all often) another equally qualified professional (sometimes even the principal)takes over so that learning is uninterrupted. Children are accoladed when they do well but never is there a golden child. Excellence is something that is consistently practiced, no entitlements! I am ever grateful for this education for my 6th grade boy- Clinton hill campus!

Posted November 1, 2010

As a parent of this school I can truly say that this school is one of the best starting from the principal to teachers and staff. The teachers that they recruit are from all over the world and are highly selected. One of the math teachers in the school has graduated from Princeton University. I would recommend this school only for students that want to excel because the curriculum in this school is not like any other they are very advanced and your child would have to work very hard but at the end it will pay off. I am so happy and honored to have my child enrolled in this college preparatory school.

Posted September 1, 2010

North Star is one of the best things that has happen to Newark. My son is in NorthStar and I can see the diiferance in his work. All schools should be like North Star Academy!

Posted October 30, 2009

North Star Academy has created a school that does more than closes the achievement gap - it creates a community of lifetime learners who support each other as students enter school from kindergarten and ultimately go onto college in a city where less than 5% of the adults have college degrees. * In an urban environment, North Star schools are safe havens for students where they receive support, understanding, encouragement, and a safe school where there is no fear of violence. *In the newest school, an elementary school - all students in their inaugural grade are at or above grade level by first grade. * in the middle schools, students enter 2-3 grade levels below in 5th grade. By 8th grade, 90% of students score proficiency or advanced proficiency on state tests. * 100% of high school graduates continue into college * 80% of North Star alum have graduated from college. Of the 20% who have not yet graduated most are still in school or hoping to return.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 16, 2009

North Star Academy Clinton Hill and Downtown campus provide a high quality education and promote excellence in academics and community involvment. Most of all they teach self pride and community pride to all the students. They teach students to believe and achieve.

Posted September 1, 2009

Northstar Academy is an excellent school, although they are very strict they are very serious about education! I am ver satisfied with the school

Posted August 2, 2009

I have been a North Star Paent for four years, we are now entering High School at North Star and we are preparing to accept the challenge. North Star prepares our inner city youth for real life challenges and the support from the adminisration and teachers is second none. We as parents have to continue to work with and support our children in this exceptional academic experience.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 59% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 61% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

All Students98%
Male98%
Non-migrant98%

All Students98%
Female100%
Male95%
Non-migrant98%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students97%

Special education68%
General education96%
Non-migrant92%

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

All Students97%

Special education75%
General education100%
Non-migrant96%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

All Students95%
Female92%
Male100%
Black94%
Non-economically disadvantaged93%
Non-migrant95%

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

SAT college ready

Graduation rate

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from from the New Jersey Department of Education.

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, ACT/SAT participation, and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 44%N/A51%
Female 56%N/A49%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 80%N/A34%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • USA Dept. of Ed. Title 1 Distinguished School (2006)
  • The Education Trust Dispelling the Myth Award (2007)
  • USA Dept. of Ed. Top 7 Charter HIgh Schools in the Country (2006)

Arts & music

• (973) 642-5800

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports