K-8 & Ungraded
Public charter
Newark, NJ
Before care: Yes

Posted February 05, 2014
I graduated from this school last year and Im now in a private school as a freshman, but I will always be proud that Im a graduate from MLVR because of the things I have learned, and the friends and teachers I met and miss dearly.Of course the school still has some flaws, such as the "principal being hostile" or "the school not having enough leadership," but I enrolled in this school from 4th grade and I can honestly say that the school has grown and developed into such a better school and my parents are happy with how this school helped me grow into a young woman with good recommendations from my teachers and good grades.If I could there for high school, I would.If you are thinking about enrolling your children, please do and consider how good this school can be for your child.

Maria L. Varisco-Rogers Charter School 1

Posted February 04, 2014
Poorly ran school. Very disorganized and the principal is disrespectful to students and parents alike. The uniforms change yearly the food they serv the children has gotten my child sick more than once. Any parent thinking about enroling there child in this "school" should think twise. Children in low income neighborhoods deserve better.

Posted August 13, 2013
MLVR is a wonderful school! I have a child in the school and I was shocked when I read the very nasty and negative review. I have personally dealt with the principal and the administration and they are in no way negative or toxic people. They are caring, passionate people who want the BEST for their students and staff! My child has excelled and continues to grow as an individual and model student thanks to the hard work and focused team at MLVR. I am grateful for what the principal, administration and teachers have done for my child. They have created a positive, safe, and fun environment for all children to learn and grow! MLVR is a great school!

Posted August 08, 2013
Having one child graduate from MLVRCS, another on her way to 5th grade. I have to say like most parents I only want the best for my girls. My oldest enrolled in private school from pre-K right up until 5th grade & over 50k in tuition at a private school, my child always had an issue. I look into MLVRCS, where I enrolled my daughter for the upcoming year(6th grade). When I walked into the school the 1st person to greet me was the principal, we hit it off quick. Ms. Heyward took initiative and helped me with the enrollment process, after much conversation, I loved her family values/morals, her sternness and her strive to make sure each child gets the best, the school can offer. 3 years later my child was accepted into a private high school (with a scholarship) where she continues to excel, when going through the enrollment process at her new school, the dean/student advocate only spoke good things about MLVRCS. I quote: "we love when MLVRCS kids enroll here; they are by far the best student we enroll". With this said I enrolled my youngest child without a second thought. She has been honor roll since day one. My child is a senior & often goes back to MLVRCS to help.

Maria L. Varisco-Rogers Charter School 2

Posted August 02, 2013
Maria L. Varisco Rogers Charter School has a principal and an administration that create a negative, toxic, hostile and abusive climate. As a teacher, as a student, as a parent/guardian, even as a visitor....when you walk in the building and are approached by the principal, you have an immediate and authentic sense of how negatively she "runs" the school. There is no feeling of respect, value or appreciation from principal/administration towards teachers, towards students, or towards MLVR families. PRINCIPAL/ADMINISTRATION NEEDS TO CHANGE HANDS OR BE REHABILITATED

Maria L. Varisco-Rogers Charter School 1

Posted March 20, 2013
I feel very disappointed with the school staff , rules and regulations. School policy only applies to some students. My son has been bullied couple of times and no type of discipline has been taken into consideration against the other child. The teachers failed to communicate with the parents in regards to late homework or that the child forgot to handle it on time. The teacher has waited 4 weeks to bring this issue to the parents attention. I always ask the the teachers how things are going with my child and she always stated that he's doing great other sudden I received a complain note stating that he's not handling homework. I believe they should have more communication with parents and bring to their attention what's going wrong with the child education in a weekly basis instead if waiting weeks to pass by. My son was kick in the face by another child infront of the after school teacher and nothing was done. The last incident he was hurt on his back neck b/c another child decided to throw his chair to the floor after having an argument with the science teacher. I will be removing my son out of this school for this upcoming year. MLVR is just name nothing else.

Maria L. Varisco-Rogers Charter School 4

Posted January 21, 2011
I am very pleased with this school. My daughter is in the 2nd grade and her grades have improved. She loves going to school. She has homework every night and always bring all her work to the house that shows that she is busy learning.

Posted August 03, 2010
I would have to say this has been a great school for my kids. I have 2 that are currently enrolled and one that will attend 1st grade in September. The teachers have always showed great interest in my children s education. Also the staff has always been able to answer any questions I have. I am looking forward to see what the next schools have to bring. I would recommend this school to any parents who are looking for their children to be successful.

Posted July 21, 2010
My son attended Maria Varisco during 2009-2010 calendar yea . His progerss was noticed. Teachers and staff have done an excellent job. They teached students, take their time with the childrens, if they noticed lack of improvement in the child they reached out to the parents. I believe that is very important in the progress of the child therefore we cannot pretend that teachers have to do everything for the child to learned as parents we need to build a relationship with the teachers to help them improve. I am very happy with this school they make you feel like part of their family.

Posted May 25, 2010
I have been involved witht he school for many years. I love the involvement by teachers and staff. The small classrooms and the school leadership makes the environment more like a home.

Maria L. Varisco-Rogers Charter School
18 Heller Parkway, Newark, NJ  07102
Last modified Maria L. Varisco-Rogers Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maria L. Varisco-Rogers Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top