Bad
Good

My child has been in this school for 5 years. I felt the school started off strongly, but when my child was in the 3rd grade - the mood of the school began to change. School trips were used as bribes for good behavior - trips were on again and off again several times in one day. By 4th grade, they shifted students to different classes, more than twice, without notifying the parents why this was being done. My child had 3 different teachers in one subject area during one cycle. The faculty members were being reassigned to different grade levels and occasionally a fluffy letter was sent home to "introduce a new teacher." There are many good teachers at this school, but the constant reshuffling of teacher assignments affects my child. I lost faith in the school last year when the entire class had homework assignments such as, "Write a letter of apology to your teacher for misbehaving and promise that this will not happen again." That assignment was given on four different occasion (clearly not effective). A few weeks ago, my child came home with a letter introducing a new math teacher......what's going on? I keep hearing from other parents, "It's a better option than other schools in the neighborhood." I feel stuck and frustrated and scared that my child no longer likes to learn.

My son has been attending UHCS for the past 4 years and will be graduating from the 8th grade. UHCS really worked with my son through some challenges he had. I am honored that this school was part of his educational growth. The teachers are willing to meet with you any time. They also assist with getting your children into a great high school.

I attended the school that was formerly in the UHCS building, Bethany Academy. I also attended UHCS the first 2 years it opened (07-09), in 2nd and 3rd grade. Back then, the school was run by Dr. Linda. We had no library- the library students go in now was just an empty room we sometimes used for meetings. We were behind in academics- in second grade; my teacher tried to teach us division and failed. We went on to third grade not knowing how to divide or multiply. In fourth grade, we were taught the basics on curriculum that should ve been given to us years ago. The school has certainly turned itself around. There are books in the finished library; the students go on field trips (I only remember taking 1 in the two years I spent there), and it seems like the test score ratings have gone up. However, if you are looking for more than the average school, go to St. Mary s, St. Philips, North Star, etc. Those schools will put your child s curriculum head on head with other cities like Livingston or East Orange.

I absolutely love this school. My son has been here since grade K and he has stayed motivated throughout the years. He's had an amazing year last year in 2nd grade and I absolutely LOVED his teachers Ms. Urban and Ms. Tag!!!! Although the school lacks parent involvment, you can always count on the same few parents that are always there! All in all...Great School and I would definitely recommend to others!

My son had a great year in second grade last year. Ms. Urban and Ms. T really got him excited about school.

i think the teacher are very young, the lack experience. the communication is terrible with parent. i took my son out this year. It is a better option that public school with their are a lot of better charter and private school in newark

staff is good and encourage kids for education

Job well done Ms. Nelms! the staff is wonderful

Dr. Woodson is no longer at the school and the circulum has been revamped. I see the school moving in the right direction. I expect scores to be higher this year.

university heights is a great school. they teach ur kids about there future. also you will be pleased to send ur child there

Last modified University Heights Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.