No rating

Kipp RISE Academy Charter School

Charter | 5-8 | 360 students

We are best known for rigorous college prep approach.

Student diversity

Living in Newark

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Sweep tile

Posted February 5, 2014

This is my daughters 3rd year at Rise Academy. There are many great schools and great teachers in Newark school system but my daughter and Rise Academy are a perfect fit. My daughter was about two grade levels behind in reading when she went to Rise Academy, now she is reading at every turn. She has read over 2.5 million words so far in this school year. Thanks to the staff at Rise Academy. They have a work hard play hard mentality, which as a great balance to it. What my daughter may not see it that when they are playing hard they are also learning. I love this school.

Posted June 21, 2013

My school is Kipp Rise Academy Charter School, I love it and you get togot the best opportunities of your life. For example, If you come to Rise Academy and get all the hard work done you will get pushed very hard to go to the next grade. At the end of every school year you get to go n a big fun trip with what we call our Team and Family but your family does not come. The school also has nice teachers that will help you through tough times. So Family & Friends and other People send your child to KIPP Rise Academy Charter School for a good life and education. All you have to do is fill out an application and send it back with your child's record. PS:I am not any original person writing this I go to Rise Academy and I know your child will do much better in Rise Academy. Just Call (973)242-7473 21 Ashland Street Newark, NJ 07103 http://www.teamschools.org/schools/rise-academy/

Posted April 3, 2013

This is my sons first year at RISE. At his previous school they were unable to get him to perform and even suggested that we lable him and put him on meds. I knew that was not an option. We refused to accept their assessment and allow him to become another statistic in the city of Newark. Since enrolling at RISE Academy this kids scores and outlook has risen to new heights. He's excited about learning and his grades are far better than expected. We have already visited and picked out his future college - Princeton! Thank you KIPP and RISE Academy for allowing us to keep hope alive!

Posted December 18, 2011

I am a student who goes to Rise Academy Charter school and this is the best choice for 5-8 graders because they make you want to succeed and climb the mountain to college. Our core values at this school is to Work Hard, Be Nice, Change The World, and also Take Responsibility. I am going to be graduating this year and I've been here since 5th grade. Over the years I've grown from a kid who didn't really like school to a kid who wants a great future for myself and to go to high school and college. I went from a school where academics didn't really matter to a school where you can express yourself and have fun but still do what you need to do to acheive. I really think many kids should attend this school to make a diffrence for other generations to come.

Posted March 24, 2010

I am very proud of my girls attending the school. The rules can be very petty at times but i do understand that it is to benefit the kids in the long run. They are prepairing them for real life experiance. Teaching them to be accountable for their action. My girls know now that you have to work hard to be successful.

Posted October 2, 2009

I am a new parent to the Rise Academy Family, but must say that my 5th grader has definitel made an about face since attending Rise. At her previous school, we struggled on a constant basis with her willingness to engage in homework assignments or extracurricular activities. I am very proud of my daughter and definitely recommend Rise to any middle school bound student and their parents. The atmosphere is totally different and it has helped provide structural guidance to my child when it comes to taking the initiative of completing homework when she walks in the door from school as opposed to waiting until I return home from work to assist. She is more confident when taking on homework assignments. Thanks Rise and please keep up the good work.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• Photography

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Parents are involved extensively at rise academy. - all parents have the cell phone numbers of every rise teacher and are encouraged to use them as needed. - rise has an open door policy and parents are invited to sit in on all classes. - the social workers engage with parents on a continual basis each year. - in the lower grades, parents have multiple open houses and report card nights. - in the upper grades, parents have quarterly reviews with their students of grades, content learned, and goals set and achieved.