K-5 & Ungraded
Old Bridge, NJ

Raymond E. Voorhees Elementary School 5

Posted August 24, 2015
My children enjoyed their first year at Voorhees. They had many fun activities for both students and families throughout the school year. It was great to see them want to go to school every morning! The school is small compared to most, so they were able to make close friendships quickly. From a teacher's perspective, their reading, writing and math is where its supposed to be. In fact, they continue to impress me from time to time. We are looking forward to a new school year at Voorhees!

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted August 24, 2015
Anytime I had a question or concern the teachers responded to my emails quickly and to my satisfaction.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 24, 2015
For my children, the amount of homework given was just right. Too much homework would have taken time way from physical activities, which they also need to stay healthy.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 24, 2015
Both of my children are dedicated to completing their homework daily. In fact, they were upset they didn't have homework on Saturday and Sunday!

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 24, 2015
Both of my children have memorized the school pledge, which emphasizes having respect for others.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 24, 2015
My children have been taught to be "bucket fillers," meaning they want to say and do kind things for others.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 24, 2015
Part of the curriculum at Voorhees is set aside to teach students about character and how to treat others.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted June 17, 2015
I don't think this is the case at Voorhees now, but teachers were really dedicated years ago to develop good learning skills, persistence, and determination to succeed in their students. Now I have a feeling they are just coming to work to get salary.

Raymond E. Voorhees Elementary School 3

Posted June 17, 2015
The school has definitely deteriorated over the years since my older child went there. Teachers do not care as much about the kids, they are not as dedicated, and quality of education gone down tremendously. Instead of bringing children to the level of the strongest students, they bring smart kids down to make the weak students feel good about themselves. I guess this is what "No child left behind" is about in Voorhees terms.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 17, 2015
Unless you are a PTA committee mom milling around the school all day, your child will not be treated with fairness, even if he/she is getting all A'a and B's and participating actively in school's life. This was the case with both of my kids at Voorhees and left me feeling very bitter about this school. Oh, and be prepared being "stamped" with "special needs" child, if you kid is quiet, reserved, and not in the teachers face all the time. Had to fight for my little introvert A-B student not to be thrown into special ed class!

11 Liberty Street, Old Bridge, NJ  08857
Last modified Raymond E. Voorhees Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Raymond E. Voorhees Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top