No rating

St. Ambrose School

Private | PK-8 | 378 students

Living in Old Bridge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $280,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted April 24, 2014

There is nothing about this school which makes it seem exceptional, especially for the price of tuition. The teachers are mediocre to average. I have a daughter in first grade and some of the information in the assingments are not even accurate. The class sizes are extremely small and still teachers cannot answer specific questions about their own students.

Posted March 21, 2014

I have 2 children enrolled in St. Ambrose and a third on his way when he's old enough. I live in Old Bridge and have visited with the Catholic schools in my neighborhood as well as the surrounding neighborhoods. I decided to go with St. Ambrose because they were the warmest and most impressionable school to me and my husband. Meeting with the principal and the teachers my children would have sealed the deal for me. Compared to fellow neighbors that send their children to another Catholic school and some who use public schools, I can see that my children are much more advanced. I think the people that wrote negative comments are either bitter parents OR people just commenting from surrounding schools to make our school sound bad. If you are a concerned parent, then take the time to meet with the principal to discuss your concerns and you will be pleasantly surprised to see those are just plain untrue posts. Your choices you make will only make sense to you and that's all that matters. As far as myself, my husband and my children...we are happy with our choice.

Posted August 26, 2013

What a joke, don't waist your money. I am so glad we have moved on. Some of the teachers need to watch how they treat the kids.

Posted August 26, 2013

the opportunity here is wonderful for the kids growth and potential. i highly reccommend this school

Posted June 19, 2013

I am very excited about all of the positive changes that have taken place over this past school year. The new principal is a breath of fresh air! So many new ideas - he is extremely hard working and looking out for the best interests of all of the students. If you have a good idea on how things can be improved he is all ears. The teachers have remained the same - caring, dedicated, educators who will do everything in their power to help your child be successful!

Posted June 3, 2013

My son has been attending St. Ambrose for the past 3 years. The teachers are committed and caring. I have been very impressed by the academic curriculum . There are multiple sports and after school clubs to take part in from Kindergarten on up to 8th grade. My son really enjoys attending St. Ambrose and there is a true sense of community there.

Posted June 2, 2013

St. Ambrose school has been a wonderful experience for my children. I have three children attending this school and each learns very differently. One of the most impressive things about this school is the quality, patience and care of the teachers for every student. They strive to make sure every child succeeds, academically, socially, and spiritually. I am very happy to recommend this school to any parent interested in giving their child a full, well-rounded education and great school experience.

Posted May 29, 2013

My son attended St. Ambrose for Pre-K through eighth grade and went on to attend both an outstanding Catholic high school and Catholic college. Despite a diagnosis of "visual perception impairment," my son was nurtured and very successfully educated in a caring Christian environment by excellent teachers. The faculty of St. Ambrose is top notch and, under new guidance and leadership, the school will only improve on its already impressive record of turning out young men and women who are more than ready to conquer higher education and contribute to their communities. My child was safe, happy, and well-educated at St. Ambrose and yours will be, too.

Posted May 2, 2013

As a former student, I believe I can give a realistic view of St. Ambrose. First off, the situation with the bullying is in no part the faculty's fault, it is the students; they're kids, they do whatever it takes to be popular, and yes the mothers are much worse than the kids. In the arts, the choir is great, the instrumentals are great, as were the plays when I was there. The art program is good, yet kids just never seem to have a huge interest in it. The music class however, is awful; it is more of a religion class than it is music and all I learned from it was the 7 composers. Religiously the school is strong; the classes are good, but the mass programs that we had to do were just terrible. In science we certainly learned and the teacher tried to make it interesting, she was just a little much though. History was the best, a teacher with a passion for teaching who was so under appreciated though. English and reading were great, they picked interesting books and I actually enjoyed reading, the writing was well instructed too. Spanish was the best it could be, I had it twice a week and the info taken helped a lot in high school. The gym program was repetitive, but fun anyway.

Posted February 9, 2013

Bullying is not tolerated. St. Ambrose is a great school, but it is definitely not a miracle maker. The principal deals quickly on any report of bullying, and there are definitely consequences to the behavior. However, you have to remember that the school did not create the bully. That began at home probably because some parents are very reluctant to discipline their own children.

Posted January 28, 2013

Unfortunately, the bullying at this school persists. There was so much hope but the popular kids and their mothers continue to behave as they did under the old regime. The teachers are friendly with these mothers so they never reprimand these students. The sad part is that some of the younger teachers, themselves, are being bullied by these students. There is a lot of disrespect towards nice, good teachers. Their parents believe for some reason that their children are above the rules. Why must a good teacher who is kind be treated in this ugly manner every day? Especially when these students parents requested the teacher. It's awful to listen and watch each day as this teacher is mimicked, made fun of, hurt by a bunch of spoiled brats. The school will be a better place when they leave. Lets hope they take their mothers with them!

Posted October 4, 2012

If you have left this wonderful school then I hope you find the peace and happiness that you are searching for. The rest of us are quite happy here and find SAS to be a second home. Most of our children are thriving and loving life at this school Almost all of the children are involved in after school activities and there is a real sense of family and community here. There is a solid foundation of Christian values and a sense of goodness among the teachers and parents. These parents are good people trying to create a moral, spiritual and academic future for their children. St. Ambrose is a blessing and I am grateful and blessed to be able to send my daughter here. It is okay for those few who have left St. Ambrose to move on now. Obviously this wasn't the best fit for you. You are happy, we are very happy and that is as it should be. Turn your energies to your own family and live a happy life. We are so good here.

Posted October 3, 2012

Im have to say my family is extremely happy with St. Ambrose School and community! My children also love to go to school in the morning because of the teachers and the environment, just to mention a few. I wouldn't have them anywhere else! I must say that the negative comments that are being posted are borderline harrassment, please let those of us who are attending the school continue to be happy where we are! Also, I don think an individual can tamper with postings, maybe the site found them offensive and took them down. Thank you! A very happy and proud St. Ambrose parent!

Posted October 3, 2012

All I have to say is kudos to the new principal and new pastor who have reignited the spirit of St. Ambrose. Together they have driven out the malcontent and cancerous parents that have done nothing but plague the school. It is quite sad that one particular parent that is no longer a member of the St. Ambrose community can find nothing better to do than continue to slander the school and administration. I for one am thrilled that this parent is now gone, and I know that my sentiments are shared by other parents as well as teachers and administration. We will pray for her that God will grant her the peace that she needs to move on with her life. Saint Ambrose School has always been a wonderful place academically, socially, and spiritually. I'm happy to say that it has gotten so much better in the past four months, and will continue to flourish and grow.

Posted September 20, 2012

I have put two children through this school. My youngest is now a freshman in high school. I can now say with absolute certainty that St. Ambrose prepared my children well for high school.

Posted August 17, 2012

Very good school, students are taught well academically and also receive good teaching in religion, moral value, etc.

Posted August 7, 2012

I am so happy that the school has such a wonderful new leader with great experience and a clear vision for the future of St. Ambrose. The teachers will finally have the support and leadership that they have been lacking. So many new and exciting changes are coming, and I'm so happy to be a part of it!!!

Posted February 23, 2012

teachers are wonderful school is great why else would we spend the money instead of sending kids for free to public and why would you if its that bad doesnt make sense cheerleading is not mandatory take them out anyone that thinks they can do a better job at volunteering their time for anything at school should do that most of you do not even step up when people are needed!

Posted February 23, 2012

My daughter attends this school and although I have problems with the school and some of the teachers, I have not had a problem with the cheer program. I do feel that the curriculum in the school is the same as some public schools in the area, but is more advanced than Old Bridge public schools. The principal is around if you need him but has told me on more than once occasion that he lets the teachers make decisions. No matter where you go you will have problems, every school has the bad teacher or the bullies. There are teachers that should have retired long ago and there are teachers who actually care about their students. Regardless of any of it there is no reason to openly attack the school of the cheer program. My daughter got hurt more times in basketball than she did in cheer. Its a sport and things happen. If they do not inform you it must mean the "injury" was not severe. If you have problems take them out of the school, out of the cheer program, or both and see if you are happier somewhere else.

Posted February 22, 2012

The school has great teachers, but academically can do better. So far, so good, will see as the years go by.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 19% 9%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (732) 679-6062

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Metuchen

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

81 Throckmorton Ln