No rating

Notre Dame Interparochial School

Private | PK-8

Living in Palisades Park

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $471,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted July 24, 2013

i graduated from here. this school has built me into the young women i am today. i strive with the support i got from my teachers and coaches to be better. i am a girl who played on the boys basketball team after being "tormented" about it from other parents from different schools saying i was "too tough". i was told every morning walking up the stairs from parents saying "you are an amazing player. i want my child to play like you do. your gonna be amazing in life." notre dame gave me a chance to branch out. the teachers and coached still tell me that im able to get help from them any time. if you have a daughter who has a love for basktetball and is looking for a competition, this is the right school. the education as well is great and so is the support. not every school is perfect. so there will be problems. but im proud to say im a graduate of notre dame interparocial academy

Posted June 12, 2013

While I applaud the principal for making one change in the middle school, not enough is being done to prepare these kids or high school and beyond. The 8th grade teacher is still in place and still a bully. Children are threatened constantly. Many children were accepted into good schools this year-all of which had additional help outside of Notre Dame. Mek and Huntington must love Notre Dame families! We keep them in business! As stated by others, lower grade classes can be okay but upper grades need more qualified staffing.

Posted June 10, 2013

Overall, am satisfied with the school. Do think there are only two types of teachers, those that are so stressed, its hard for them to be effective, those that are so tough, the inflict great stress on the kids and parents. Teacher and staff development including coping skills and situation management for the teachers is important. I do believe that the staff genuinly cares about the kids and does their best to educate them...just may need to let up a bit sometimes and the kids will perform better. Need to develop a sense of school spirit that was cultivated in past years.

Posted December 11, 2012

In agreement with most here. Lower grades are okay-good in some cases, Unfortunately when the children get to the middle school level, things are lacking and in many cases very bad. I will say that they finally hired a middle school math teacher and bumped down the previous one. This is a step in the right direction. Actually having someone (somewhat qualified) is better than what has been there for too long. Many changes still need to be made to give this school more than a weak one star rating. Bullying (by teachers)is still an issue and there is little to no interaction with Parish priests. One more year and my family will be finished. We have stayed to let my second child graduate. If I had to do over, I would have chosen a true Catholic school. One with compassion and caring.

Posted October 1, 2012

Notre Dame has been a great school. My child has been a student at ND since Pre K and we have no complaints. It's a small school where everyone knows eachother and we have felt it to be like a family. Can't speak for the parents with the negative experiences. Sometimes, parents and students have to take some responsiblity for certain situations and/or outcomes. For those searching for a school for your child, just remember, there is no "perfect school". But if you want a family like environment, good education with upto date technology, plays that are preformed every year, co-ed basketball team, cheerleading, NJHS, Gifted and Talented, and more then you should really consider NDA.

Posted June 13, 2012

One star is being generous. Upper grades specifically 7th and 8th are beyond bad. The teachers have been in place far too long with no disciplinary action for the many cases of wrong doing. If you have a young man in these grades,you will have an issue. I urge you to speak to a parent of an 8th grade boy. Bullying by teachers should not happen . EVER. But it does and the principal has done nothing to correct these issues.

Posted May 31, 2012

I am a Notre Dame parent with one child who has attended this school since 2003. We lived through the termination of the nuns and the new administration and will be leaving the school next week. I can honestly say that the lower grades up to 5th grade are acceptable. There are teachers who care and actually teach. Our toughest years have been 7th-8th grade. Constant issues with unnecessary drama caused by the two teachers in these grades. I question the qualifications of both teachers . Lessons are not explained well and the children are under extreme stress constantly. Children were not prepared at all for the COOP by these teachers. They charged $100+ for extra help preparing and then did little to nothing in the 45 minute sessions. Most (90%) parents hired tutors, former teachers and used places like Kumon and Mek at great expense to prepare their children. The school dropped the ball. COOP prep should have been a priority and it was not. Only constant threats of how the high schools would never accept children like them. Most got in to choice schools because of tutoring.Honor Society is a joke with no real qualifications to enter or activities to sustain. Would not do it again.

Posted February 10, 2012

There are very good points made here. This site states not to post names of teachers, students or staff. In all fairness the parent who stated his name- has a child in the lower grades. The issues shared here are very specific and many are about the 7th and 8th grade. Unless you have a child in those classrooms, or have had a child there, you have no idea what goes on there. I have strong feelings about these issues but would have never subjected my child to repercussions that have and do happen after such postings. This site is excellent in that it points out that people should ALWAYS look before they leap . Can this many concerns be unfounded? I have had 2 children graduate from this school and the issues of bullying and harassing the upper grade boys have existed for years. They are not new. One can blame it on the nuns, the priests or the current principal but the problems still exist. And parents have complained over the years. Many parents including myself. Maybe we all just had too much faith that at some point SOMEONE would do the right thing and make changes. Good luck to you all.

Posted February 7, 2012

Some teachers are above and beyond. Top notch. There are those though that should not be there. You wont't realize it until you hit 7th or 8th grade. Bullying should never be allowed. Bullied students or teachers is unacceptable. Ever. Fix this issue. Smart boards don't make an academy. No school is perfect, this one for sure not. Posted by a current parent.

Posted February 7, 2012

i went to catholic school thru grammar and high school. i wasn't sure about sending my son to catholic school, having seen how most catholic schools are forced to make due with sub-standard funding. that is not the case at notre dame. smart boards, ipads, new science equipment, a nicer gym than my high school, and on and on. it doesn't come cheaply, but it is a sacrifice my wife and i are comfortable making in the interest of my son's education. i suggest to anyone that is interested in having their child possibly attend this school, to visit the school and talk to parents. you'll find a welcoming community. then you can make an informed decision. you're not going to get much from this site when people are using it as a place to anonymously take shots at the same people they've entrusted their child's education to. and as a volunteer coach who receives nothing in return for my time and dedication to helping children learn and play a sport, if someone was going to take a shot at me, i'd expect the least they could do in return was put their name on it. -matt doyle, st joe's grammar school (wny) '89, st joe's high (wny) '93

Posted February 6, 2012

I have to agree with the parents who think Notre Dame is a great school. There are plenty of Catholic Schools in the area who are hurting for enrollment (and possibly even closing this year) and I am sure would take a transfer student in the 7th or 8th grade. My child also graduated last year and although there was a lot of work we did NOT have any of the problems referenced below with the teachers. I also have to ask why anybody would keep their child in a school where they were not treated well. Any parent who is that unhappy with a school that they are paying tuition for should really remove their child and put them in another school. Personally, I found that as long as your child does the work and is a good student there really are no problems. For children who would prefer not to do the work or send texts during class, those children are going to have problems but I think they would have problems in any school. I also love the fact that Notre Dame made Academy status.

Posted February 6, 2012

I am curious how the "Academy" will handle events from this last weekend at the school. Sure doesn't seem like a safe place for children when their adult coaches handle themselves in such a violent and vulgar manner. Anything but terminating the coaches from that group is a failure on the admin's part. We left last year and have not looked back. Not a safe and compassionate place. Look before you leap. And be aware that the school has the Home school Assoc. watching this site and countering any "less than positive" reviews. If the Parish priests want to verify this info, they should talk to current and past parents. Do this before something truly tragic happens. And yes, you can attempt to transfer out-be aware that the principal herself will contact your new schools with a disparaging comments about your family. Been there and done that.

Posted February 6, 2012

Unfortunately, I was also reminded of this site due to the negative comments being posted about Notre Dame Academy. I'm not going to say that these people are wrong - they are entitled to their opinions. Parents who are visiting this site are looking for different peoples experiences to help them make a tough decision. As a parent of a child currently in a school with smart boards being used in every grade, new science equipment, staff that are invested in my child's success, and a principal invested in both child & school success, I'm paying tuition and keeping my child in an environment where I know he is succeeding. If, like some of these parents posting negative comments, I wasn't happy, I'd pull my child out and find another school. All that being said, parents looking for a school for their child should visit ND Academy, speak with parents, teachers, and the principal to judge the character of the school and staff for yourselves. For all anyone knows, those posting the negative comments could be right, ND isn't the place for your child but that's a decision you need to make keeping in mind - how often do people show an appreciation for a good thing vs those that complain?

Posted February 4, 2012

My child graduated last year and we were a long term Notre Dame family. Also pre and post Nuns. I must agree with several other posters stating that the school is not a healthy place for children 11+. The upper grade teachers are not qualified to teach the subjects. They are unkind to the upper grade boys specifically. Bullying issues are not addressed by the current principal. It is unfortunate as Notre Dame was once a great school. Smart boards are great but without a core staff who are dedicated to teaching children-all is for nothing. Look past the "Catholic Schools week* Dog and Pony Show" and there you will see the truth. PreK- 4th grade is great. Upper grades need cameras in class to keep teachers honest.

Posted February 4, 2012

I was reminded of this site by another parent. Sadly , I do agree that this school lacks the compassion, faith and honesty that they advertise. There is zero involvement from parish priests. They do not lead our children in faith or education. We had hoped with the new priest that he would help restore our school to it's once excellent standing within the community. Not the case. The current administration at the school is only interested in the "Academy" status. An academy only in name- nothing else. Save your $ for high school and college. Or be prepared to pay for extra tutoring from former teachers, and places like MEK.

Posted February 4, 2012

To answer a parent review here- Notre Dame is a good school up to 6th grade. Normal drama just like any other school. But the bullying by teachers and general nonsense is really bad in the 7th and 8th grade classes. By the time your child reaches that grade level-there is no where to go. Most Catholic schools prefer not to accept transfers in those grades. For students wanting to continue their Catholic education you have to stick it out. These two years are extremely difficult with the current staff. This is extremely true for male students. It is also common practice for the males to be the clean up and pack mules. Loading and moving boxes as well as caring for the Snapple machine are normal tasks. I suppose what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but paying for your child to be a custodian doesn't fair well with my family. Parent of the 2011 class .

Posted February 2, 2012

Notre Dame is by far the best Catholic School in the area. There are smart boards in every class room. The computer lab was recently upgraded and there are now science labs. If parents are that unhappy, why would you not put your child in a different school? Why would any parent send their child to a school that they felt was not a healthy place ? Sounds more like a personal issue than an academic one. The children are expected to follow rules. There is work and projects but the children learn which is the purpose of school. All of the eighth grade students were accepted to every high school they applied. That in itself says a lot about the academics. The staff is dedicated. In this day with the amount of Catholic elementary school closings at such a high rate, what the Principal has done at Notre Dame is unprecedented. My child was there pre and post the changes in leadership and although I was very upset at the time I can now see that the Archdiocese made the right decision and had they not the school would have probably been closed by now. If you are looking for a great Catholic school that you do not have to worry about closing, I highly recommend Notre Dame Academy.

Posted February 2, 2012

I certainly aggree that NotreDame is by far the best Catholic School in Bergen County. The children here are very well educated and formed spiritually in their Catholic Faith. My children also attended under the former "regime" Sister's Ellen and Pat. What a difference when the change when into effect. Something that should have happened a long time ago!! I cannot see why a parent who felt that the Catholic education their children are receiving at Notre Dame is wrong for their children, why would they continue to send their children there? If I felt that strongly about the school not being good, I would not send my children there. I believe it is just a personal issue the parent has. I f you desiring to have a good Catholic Education for your child, Notre Dame is the place!!

Posted May 31, 2011

I wish I could give this school a 0 stars out of 5. This is the worst school I have EVER BEEN TO. I am now a junior in highschool, and I was treated like the way I am now when I was in 5th grade. The principal is horrible, every good teacher has been fired. Mrs. Hansen, Mrs. Stonham, it is ridiculous. Actually, Mrs. Hansen quit because she could not stand the principal any longer. DO NOT send your children to this school. There is a girl in the school who has a fund for her to go back to the school, and the teachers BEG for money and punish you if you don't bring in money. If they want her to go back to that school so bad then they can pay for her tuition. HATE THIS SCHOOL AND SO DOES EVERY CHILD IN IT.

Posted May 23, 2011

Wonderful school. Great education. Loving family atmosphere. All faculty and staff are involved and committed to the children.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 29% 9%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Newark