Paterson Charter School for Science & Technology

Charter | K-12 | 1144 students

Living in Paterson

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $169,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,370.

Posted December 18, 2013

Lets just start with the fact that I dread waking up in the morning! I have to literally drag myself out of bed. The teachers are good teachers but then there are teachers who just purposely pick on you! I have to say that I've been challenged but then again they have to start realizing that they are teaching children not soldiers. I feel as if I'm attending a boot camp but instead of it being physically draining I'm mentally drained. Teachers teach (sometimes rely on short boring clips to do so) their lessons in boring ways and expect us not to fall asleep, talk, fidget around, go to bathrooms (yes! I've gone to the bathroom just to get away from these people) and doodle on their arms. And then there's the students...bad influences if you ask me. It's pretty sad how intelligent kids are so rude, mean, and disrespectful. The students are very smart but the teachers can't get through to them on a personal level because they don't understand them. It grinds my gears when I overhear people say good things about this school. Go check our REAL state test grades, why don't you? Don't believe everything you hear from people who's children haven't attended!

Posted December 16, 2013

My child used to attend this school because they have a great appearance in terms of their teachers showing care, their school coordinator (principal) always greeting everyone. They have community and local school events. HOWEVER, they perform really low on all state wide testing. My child did so poorly I couldn't believe it. Also it makes me uncomfortable how all the top leaders are Turkish. It's odd that Turkish is thought and always comes up behind closed doors. There's definitely a cultural agenda here. I DO NOT recommend this school for academic reasons along with an odd-feeling as a parent for their customs. Grade: F

Posted November 22, 2013

My son started 3rd grade at PCSST and is best decision I've ever made for my son's education when decided to transfer her to PCSST. He has improved academically in so many ways. The teachers keeps him motivate him and help him be better in all subjects.

Posted November 20, 2013

This is the fourth year for my daughter at PCSST Elementary school. She has shown great improvement in each grade level and got all A,s on her recent report card. I like the fact i can track her progress daily and contact teachers if necessary and they are quick to respond.I really like the focus on getting the kids motivated so they can be successful. We as parents must ensure our kids take their work seriously. My daughter loves going to school and loves her teachers. Initially I did not want her to take Turkish and was going to fight to get her class changed but after speaking to the teacher decided to let her try it out. Since then she has entered competitions and did very well and sometimes when we go to the supermarket I hear her identify stuff in Turkish. So proud of her. It is a good school and I would definitely recommend it.

Posted November 20, 2013

Great leadership skills. Awesome job on motivating student to work hard and achieve high levels of knowledge.

Posted November 20, 2013

is excellent they are doing great improving every year, they have help my kids in many ways

Posted November 20, 2013

Great school and great communication. I feel very glad for all services provided by school

Posted November 19, 2013

PCSST is a good school. My daughters have been enrolled for 3 years now since they were in first and second grade. All of the teachers they have had thus far are competent, driven towards excellence for the students in their class and very accommodating by responding to inquiries via email and or phone calls. My girls are challenged by the curriculum in place as it makes them think outside the box. Additionally I applaud the discipline measures for this school. I must admit this Core Curriculum is very challenging and I am grateful that the school recognized this and decided to institute tutoring sessions on Saturdays in an effort to ensure our children succeed. I would definitely recommend this school to my friends and any parent who is TRULY interested in growing, developing and strengthening a future academician.

Posted November 19, 2013

I consider PCSST the best school in the Paterson district. The elementary curriculum is challenging allowing students to strive for excellence in their education. The teachers not only care for their students but also cause them to strive for excellence. I always know where my daughter stands bc I daily check the website for homework assignments and grades. Teachers are quick to reach out if my daughter is having difficulty in an area. The school communicates with parents often via phone or text messages and offers great resources to help parents help their students. My daughter is often engaged through the different activities (movie night, lock-in, Spring break trips). The one item I wish the elementary school had was a sports program but other than this, the school is truly a gem.

Posted November 19, 2013

I love PCSST. I appreciate how the whole school is focus on the children's needs. They keep the children focus and interested in learning. It's not the same old same old curriculum. The teachers keep you inform about your child and are reachable if you need them. I give them an A++....

Posted November 7, 2013

I have had my child in this school for three years. I searched many schools both public and private to find the best for my son. I am very happy with my child's knowledge, development and discipline. The teacher's are very dedicated to their students achievements. The school's utensils and technology are state of the art. I am very happy with this system of education. I am more than pleased and would recommend this school 100%.

Posted November 7, 2013

I saw a previous review criticizing a Turkish teacher and I found it very offensive because my son's teacher is Turkish in this school and she is the sweetest, most dedicated and patient teacher. I have had the pleasure to have her as my son's third grade homeroom and this year for Math and Social Studies. This school and all teachers that I have had the pleasure of interacting during these years have been great. I would never settle for less than the best and I love this school for my son.

Posted August 1, 2013

PCSST is one of the worst schools in the district of Paterson. The administration and staff are completely inadequate. I would rather send my kids to School 6 or 10 before reregistering them back to PCSST. They love to put on a show to pretend learning is happening behind the walls. I dont understand half of the teachers who come fro Turkey, so i do get how my kids can understand whhat they are trying to teach them.

Posted October 23, 2012

Okaay I have To Say I Go To This School And Im In The Seventh Grade Now . Ive Been In This School For 3 years Already And Well Its Okay .. Ive learned alot from this school and Well At First My favorite Subject Was Social Studies And I Hated Math Like 100% But Now Since I Have new Teachers And Better Education I Love Math And Dont Really like Social Studies Well Yeah Bye :)

Posted July 5, 2012

For me school is safer than having the City of Paterson, and I never saw in another school where the principal and several teachers are receiving children in the street when we leave in the morning. It is a school where teachers and in general all officers and other personnel are seinte commitment to it. Discipline is essential for school programs is not the typical after school from other public schools. Most parents are involved, and encourage the children in a way that every day want to be better, I wish I had more schools like this in the city.

Posted April 23, 2012

This is best School In Paterson. My Kids are totally change, Now he is more responsible kids, And School is very safe .Not likes other... We should support those kind school for our kids. They are our future. Everybody know how is public school ? For me look like Childcare, they don't teach nothing and gangs control the school.

Posted May 18, 2011

I have to say that my child and I are very disappointed in PCSST.My child has not been challenged at all at this school. I was amazed by the lack of reading the children were doing. The students seemed to control the school. Applying for the school was more rigorous than their curriculum. I felt this was a waste of a 6th grade year!!!!! Back to public school we go!!!!! Any parent interested in this school should see it for ur self word of mouth can be very misleading

Posted April 21, 2009

I go to this school and I am in the 7th grade. And im in the honors class I addmit, they do need to challange us more but what can you do.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 11, 2008

PCSST provides an evironment desgned for everyone to grow up and be independent. This school helped me grow out of my shell. I thank PCSST for that. They also make me feel welcome, like I can talk to anyone. This school is great for shy children who need to become outgoing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 26, 2008

my daughter has attened this school since 6th grade she is currently in the 8th grade, I have nothing but good things to say about the school, my daughter enjoys going, the school work is challenging and keeps her interested.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 59% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

All Students55%

Not economically disadvantaged81%
General education86%
Not migrant84%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students31%

Not economically disadvantaged53%
General education49%
Not migrant48%

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

All Students82%

Hispanic60%
General education67%
Not migrant55%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Economically disadvantaged33%
General education32%
Not migrant32%

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

SAT college ready

Graduation rate

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from from the New Jersey Department of Education.

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, ACT/SAT participation, and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian 0% 9%

Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Cooking club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 4:00 pm
  • Mr. Riza Gurcanli
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Dance club
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • JROTC
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
160
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
1100

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

276 Wabash Ave.