No rating

Union County Teams Charter School

Charter | K-11 & ungraded

Living in Plainfield

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $149,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,350.

Posted May 24, 2014

This school is not a safe environment for children to learn. My children will not be returning next year. The regular public schools are safer. I would strongly advise against sending your child here. I strongly recommend that the State Department of Education, or the group with jurisdiction over this institution, conduct a thorough investigation of this school. This school is not at all what it pretends to be. They will have to answer for the many children who have been negatively impacted because of attendance here while they have turned a blind eye. I am truly disheartened because I sent my children here thinking it was a good school and instead they have been bullied and have learned many negative behaviors which I will have to work at undoing over the summer. Send your children elsewhere!

Posted May 15, 2014

I find it disheartening that individuals feel the need to come this site to make a public complaint with very inaccurate information. The community needs to realize what Charter Schools are up against and truly understand that there is always a way to resolve a matter. Become apart of the solution as opposed to undermining and demeaning the work of educators who spend countless hours working to ensure that students receive a quality educaiton. For every complaint listed here, there are certainly 10 parents who can offer positive feedback. My experience has been wonderful. Every school has its ups and downs, but I can certainly say that every teacher and staff member in this school has a heart for kids. They arrive early, stay late and work on Saturdays. Administration is available and return phone calls and emails immediately. Attend a meeting, come to an event, see the good in what is done instead of working to tear apart an institution that upholds student safety has a priority. Visit the school for a day. On May 28th the school is having a Teacher For A Day program, I encourage to walk a day in the shoes of a teacher and I am certain you will have a greater appreciation.

Posted May 14, 2014

My child is in the fourth grade and started in the kindergarten. My child will no longer attend this school. My husband and I are very involved parents and this school just do not live up to what they say they are. Out of the five years my child was there two of the teachers were exceptional! However, they are no longer there. In order to talk to anyone at the school you have to make an appointment even if something serious happend to your child. The things my child learned at this school from other kids that included bad habits are ridiculous. I can control my child but not other kids or what they learn at home. It is not in a safe environment at all. The children do not go outside and play to blow off steam. The staff turns a deaf ear when something happens to a student but when addressed they say they care. NOOOOOOO they do not.........This school is terrible but I tried to give them a chance. Not anymore. The school has progressively worsened thru the years and I only see it getting worse. UC teams really needs to go back to the drawing board and start over.

Posted October 30, 2013

I think the state needs to come in and close the doors on that terrible school! IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO GET A GOOD EDUCATION, DON'T SEND THEM TO UC TEAMS!!!!!!! YOUR CHILD WILL LEARN MORE AND PERFORM BETTER ON THE STATE TEST BY ATTENDING PLAINFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS! UC TEAMS IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED!!!!

Posted August 8, 2013

UC TEAMS is a top ranked school and well-deserving of its ranking! My son is currently a student in the K-2 program and he has grown tremendously in character education and academics. Although there are a few new teachers they are mentored and consistently perform professional development and training almost daily. I have personally and professionally seen the growth in the administration and teachers and I am so proud of their First Graduating Class!! Every student earned COLLEGE CREDITS while at UC TEAMS for 2 years at UCC and 100% went on to colleges (some 4-year and some 2-year institutions). I want my children to be there for high school and participate in this REAL college-prep program. No other high school around can compare to this college program only offered at UC TEAMS!!! Keep up the good work!!

Posted July 25, 2013

I strongly think that parents should think seriously before putting their child in this school. It is a big joke. Look at their first graduation rate! How many of their students have been accepted into prestigious colleges? Parents, I warn you, think before sending your child to this school. They should be investigated!

Posted July 2, 2013

It took me awhile to decide if I wanted to leave a comment espically after reading some of these replies. I didn't want to be the parent bashing any teacher because I understand that teaching has to be an enormous, thankless job. I truly appreciate the efforts of every teacher, including those at UC TEAMS. I think the bottom line is prents send their child/children to a charter school for the hope of something better. A better circulum, a better atmosphere, a better environment for their child. I mean isn't that why the waiting list is so long.....bc of the hope for something "better". I know that's why I choose this school, and I have been very disappointed. I don't feel like this school lives up to the portrait it tries to display. I'm not pointing fingers but I'm choosing not to send my child back. I don't think he received a quality education last year and I don't think he was in a safe environment. My son told me of countless times of him being unsupervised and fights happening. How he felt nothing was offered to him and that teachers didn't care. I don't think his educational needs were met....if ur child needs any extra help please DO NOT SEND THEM TO UC TEAMS.

Posted June 25, 2013

I am a teacher at this school and I am deeply disturbed by the comments I see on here. Every place of employment has its issues, particularly at the administrative level, particularly in a community where parents are socioeconomically disadvantaged. I come to work everyday positive and determined to help my students learn not only about content, but about life, love, and happiness. I have spent weekends developing creative and engaging lessons for my students, and gaining their respect and trust so I can carry out those lessons in a compassionate learning environment. I speak with the utmost confidence that I achieve this, despite whatever issues or chastisements over dress or blah blah blah, I receive from the administration. I do my job proudly. As for the educator who thinks their collegues come for a paycheck-- your severe misjudgement reflects upon a severe misunderstanding of the teaching profession. If I wanted a paycheck, I would get a job at a real business, a real corporation, and be paid twice as much for half the stress. As for the parents, learning starts at home. It's easy to place blame where one's own lack of endeavors falls, fittingly, short.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 23, 2013

I salute all the teachers and staff at UC TEAMS Ch rter School. I have volunteered on numerous occasions and have seen first hand how hard working the teachers are. It is not the Sol responsibility for a teacher to educate a child about his or her character. This is something that is instilled in a child at a very young age . So for those parents WHO are making all these comments , ask yourself If you ever really took the time to volunteer and See for yourself all the wonderful accomplishments all the teachers made especially in the elmentary level!

Posted June 21, 2013

When you completely understand that learning is the number one priority you will then realize that this school is a top school worthy of praise for all of the positive contributions being made on a daily basis to the success of its students. ALL schools and students have issues. However focus and celebrate the positive! This school has great leadership and administration. With more parental involvement and positive support from EVERYONE (internally and externally) this school can be even greater! Keep up the great work and continue putting the students first! I applaud you!

Posted June 20, 2013

My child has attend UC TEAMS since K. I agree with previous reviews that this has been one of the worst school experiences EVER. The school has a huge issue when it comes to BULLYING, yet it all goes ignored. This charter school is ran more like a BUISNESS than a place for education. This will be my son's last year with UC TEAMS and unfortunately I feel for him - this past school year was a waste. My only regret is that I didn't pull him out earlier. At this point I am 100% willing to take my chance with the Plainfield Public School system. I give them zero stars and I am far from a bitter, uninvolved parent...I am solely a parent seeking the best for their child. At one point I considered this school a beacon of light and hope for Plainfield. Now after years of 1st hand experiencing, I see it as a business across the street from the projects. It is a good question as to why the educators of this school send their children elsewhere. Parents be ware. It's sad because its the children who suffer the most.

Posted June 20, 2013

This school is doing great things. I have a son who attends school here and he enjoyed every minutes of it in second grade. The teacher there went above and beyond for him. I'm so grateful for all she has done. Teachers work extremely hard and their job is a demanding one. I salute these teachers.

Posted June 20, 2013

As an educator at UC TEAMS I must unfortunately agree with the parents who have said that there is a lot of room for improvement, especially in the elementary grades. The environment lacks the level of attention and order necessary for youngsters to thrive. I became a teacher because I love working with children, but many of my colleagues appear to be here just for the pay check. I would not allow my children to attend this school and I would not recommend it to parents with elementary age children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 19, 2013

We have to remember that we can't solely depend on our teachers to it all, they teach, parent, become social workers, etc. Some parents need to experience the life of a teacher to fully understand the day to day activities as a teacher. Let's not throw the towel in on our teachers. Come and visit the school, be involved, have other parents do the same. School isn't a babysitting service. We must clearly understand that FIRST...

Posted January 11, 2011

I rate UC TEAMS Charter School as one of the best in Plainfield. The teachers make the effort to make the environment of learning. I hope the parents will appreciate more what the teachers are doing and become a team with them.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 59% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 61% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

All Students38%

Black64%
General education63%
Not migrant63%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students55%

Economically disadvantaged74%
Not economically disadvantaged62%
Not migrant68%

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

All Students85%

Not economically disadvantaged69%
General education69%
Not migrant69%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Not economically disadvantaged47%
General education45%
Not migrant44%

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 56%N/A51%
Female 44%N/A49%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A34%

• Mrs Sheila Thorpe

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

515 517 West Fourth Street