Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Thorne Middle School 3

Posted May 16, 2016
Although I feel that the Administration and the Faculty are above average - I think the school has significant challenges in dealing with the mixture of students that are zoned for Thorne. At this age, kids are trying to push the limits and in the three years that my daughter attended Thorne, I can site at least 5 fights, numerous issues with bullying, inappropriate texts/tweets/instagram posts, etc. The consequence for these actions were mostly "in school suspension". Although, I am sure this is common in most middle schools - it is distracting to the students and makes for somewhat of a scary environment. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have opted to send my daughter to St. Mary's.

Thorne Middle School 1

Posted November 01, 2015
Thorne was horrible for me. Do not send your children here at all costs. The material taught is 90% useless. The majority of the teachers can't teach, especially the seventh grade honors math teacher who is also mean to kids! It was so bad someone had to right a 7pg letter to the school about it. Anonymous of course, because freedom of speech is not respected. There is always bullying, and fist fights too. They try to cover up the fights too, and if you use your freedom of speech to talk about them you're in trouble. The dress code is sexist, only girls are punished for "being distracting to boys. Someone should teach the boys not to treat the girls like sexual objects but like people. The gym classes are biased towards athletes. Everything is bad. Almost everyone wants to transfer, it's such a horrible place. And oh yeah, if you call it bad, you'll get in trouble. One kid in my grade did it online somewhere, and they got suspended for it. I rate 0/10. 3 years of torture for me.

Grateful to: Student

Posted November 01, 2015
I am grateful to my friends, for we helped each other survive for three hard years.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted November 01, 2015
The majority of teachers are decent, and some are very good, but many of them are bad.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted November 01, 2015
I say no because right of opinion and freedom of speech is not respected. You will get into trouble if you think the school is bad or show "pride", but there is little reason to have pride in such a horrible place. When there are fights, the school doesn't want people talking about them and tries to cover them up instead of using them as learning experiences, therefore the school is lying and showing an example of not being honest.

Thorne Middle School 1

Posted September 04, 2012
I went to Thorne Junior High School in the 1970's and it was the worst school I have ever attended. Its good that now that guidance people listened to the kids, but not back then and you should know Dawn Mc Gee, Sandy Schreppel, Kathleen Hunter, you thought you would bring me down by bullying me and being terrible to me in 7th and 8th grade. I turned out just fine and hopefully you girls are better people then you were in 7th grade. But I doubt it. I have no good things to say about Thorne Middle School. give it a new name but its still the same.

Thorne Middle School 5

Posted December 20, 2009
I'm currently a student at Thorne, and let me say I absolutely love it. Our teachers are very supportive in our goals. We can enjoy school while learning. And I must say, especially the chorus teacher, Mrs. Mari is very supportive of me, also. The teachers help you with not only school, but private problems also. School is very enjoyable. It's safe, and the students here are well informed about things going on. School spirit plays a big role here at Thorne. On fridays, orange and black clothing fills the school, as our school spirit day. We have sports, clubs, and extracurricular activities. I love Thorne, and I'm sad I'm in eighth grade already, because I'm not ready to leave. I love it here, and I appreciate being a student here.

Posted April 16, 2009
great school with experienced teachers. should be 10 out of 10

Posted April 13, 2009
Some teachers are horrible to the kids, others are very chill ,and some dont know how to do there job..I think we are treated with little respect and not many privliges, there very up tight here and dont tolerate the simplist of problems even when a parent gets involed they want to do it their way.In lunch they divide us up with a wall and the bathrooms are always locked.Over all, lets just say most of the kids that go here want to transfer..

Thorne Middle School 5

Posted November 17, 2004
Thorne is an exceptional educational facility. The teachers supply extra help for any student who needs it and they are extremely supportive. The administrative assistants are well organized, helpful and very polite. The principal and assistant principal stick to the rules they've administered and handle violators of such rules with care and concern for their welling being. As a former student at Thorne, I can honestly say that my experiences there are responsible for my determination to reach my goals; goals that were enforced in me during my three years there.

70 Murphy Rd, Port Monmouth, NJ  07758
Last modified Thorne Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.