Wwindsor Plainsboro South

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1 student

Posted May 31, 2014

I am currently finishing my first year at High School South and in general, my experience so far has been pretty good. By what I've heard, I think HSS is a pretty average high school with a few additional experiences. The school offers many extracurriculars both for volunteering as well as student made clubs. There is also a wide variety of academic as well as extra electives to choose from in each grade level. I am currently enrolled in the foundation arts elective. Many of the classes have great teachers who are willing to help outside of the classroom. Some teachers I have to admit are strict and not very understanding of the student life, but only few teachers fit the description perfectly. Many of the teachers as well engage the students and try to creat a relationship in where the student sees the teacher more as a friend rather than a someone who just wants to get paid. Some teachers are graduates of the school as well and try to include what they think was missing. The overall school atmosphere is slightly weird, for me I think this is because it's my first year, but gives acceptance to anyone. There is large diversity and huge variety of personalities in HSS.

Posted July 30, 2013

Generally good and some great teachers, but a high pressure environment. The school is heavily Asian and the district draws families interested primarily in the high average SAT scores and college admission data (both impressive). However it simply is not possible for 50% of the school to be in the top 5% of the class, which creates intense competition and a great deal of unhappiness. With such a narrow focus on academics these is often little time to enjoy the high school experience or to develop character. It came as little surprise that the Rutgers students who engaged in the cyber-bullying that resulted in a suicide were both graduates of this district.

Posted July 9, 2013

I'm currently in this school, going into my sophomore year and I moved here during my freshman year and I absolutely LOVE it at this school. Not only is the staff and the environment welcoming, but the school itself and the student body as well. South makes you want to come back everyday and it gives you an urge to come back. It's a very good school and I almost got all A's, but it takes hard work. I LOVE SOUTH!

Posted August 31, 2012

Success here is definitely more about the drive and ambition of students and parents than the quality of education they are offered. Many students take the challenging courses in summer programs then retake them in the regular semester. I fully understand the backlash against the Tiger Mom after sending my children to school there. We were all for working hard to achieve goals but it is way over the top there now. School concerts are great though and benefits from the countless hours the kids put in to rote practice.

Posted August 1, 2012

As a previous student from South, I would just state that their hostile environment is no place for anyone. The most of the teachers are selective, and can not teach if their life depended on it. The children act as if they were raised with no morals what so ever. Even a majority of the gym teachers cant remember names of students. Yet they all parade around as if there is no bulling and no "cliques" and how everyone is unified. I move around a lot so I would like to think I am pretty educated at rating schools and South just happens to be at the bottom of the barrel. If you don't mind suffering through the ignorance of teachers and student body, then attend but if not, perhaps any other school around the area would suffice.

Posted November 8, 2011

As a current student at High School South, I would urge any prospective attendees to pick another school instead. South was and always has been an amazing place with tradition, spirit, and a magnificent student body and faculty. The problem is the administration. In the last couple of years, the School Board and principal have begun destroying everything good and magnifying everything bad. The poor leadership in place means kids are being suffocated in a prison-like institution. I know high school would have been fantastic without the current administration, and it's a shame that cold, detached officials are ruining something beautiful.

Posted July 20, 2011

Graduated in '08. When I hear from my friends at college what their high school experience was like ("miserable, but isn't high school supposed to be?"), I am completely blown away, as my high school experience at South easily made my years there some of the best in my life. Yes, the academics are superb, and everyone excels (I myself go to a top 5 university). Yes, there is an extracurricular activity for anyone, with significantly more options than I've seen in any other high school. But the most incredible thing about South is the wonderful student body. In my years there, I have never seen bullying or violence. The students were always friendly and got along well with one another with a minimum of cliques. Although there is a high pressure to excel, it's mostly internal--you see your peers succeeding and you want to, too. And the level of diversity in this school! I find that I'm more open to and more knowledgeable about other cultures and nationalities than even friends from diverse, metropolitan cities. You never realize how valuable this experience is until you see the racism from other parts of the country. I loved and I love South. Hope I can send my kids here one day.

Posted July 2, 2011

This school is a bit of a pressure cooker, full of highly motivated and competitive kids. But 30 or 40 kids each year get into the country's top colleges. The top 20 or so go to Ivy's and another 20 or 30 go to the next level of colleges, the Georgetowns, John Hopkins, Northwesterns, Tufts, etc. It's probably the kids, rather than the school or teachers, but having your kids surrounded by bright and motivated peers can be a good thing. The AP courses have some great teachers.

Posted August 31, 2010

In response to the previous reviewer, I'd just like to point out that minority students are some of the top performers and shouldn't be seen as a supposed liability; instead, we have wonderful diversity and people from all walks of life. I love High School South. Most teachers are excellent, classes are well-paced, there's plenty to do after school, and the student body is overall good. It's making high school a great experience for me.

Posted December 17, 2009

Our school is doing a great job. Think of how many minority students there are at this school, yet our school is still doing a fine job. With over 10% of the student body not speaking English at home, it is remarkable as to how well we can compare to other schools such as Montgomery High School and Princeton High School. Furthermore, let us not forget that each and every year, more and more students transfer to this school from poorly performing school districts such as the Trenton Public School District. These transfer students lack solid foundations in core curriculum classes. As a result, their HSPA test scores may be lower than that of their peers. This does not adequately reflect the performance of the School nor the district.

Posted October 16, 2009

I love my school because we are so diverse. Our students are all competitive and we strive for the best. I believe that our school is overall very friendly and has a good environment. We also have a very good english as a second language program.

Posted October 16, 2009

My child is doing very well at this school! I love how the teachers are there to always help a student out after school

Posted August 27, 2009

An excellent school where there is a huge emphasis on becoming a well rounded student--strong academically, socially and athletically. Can't ask for a better school.

Posted March 12, 2009

My daughter is a senior. Very good school. Curriculum competitive. Guidance Dept. and teachers very good. Kept updated on my child's performance. Very satisfied.

Posted December 2, 2008

Great school. i am currently a sophomore and love it!

Posted May 28, 2007

Excellent school with great students from the most diverse backgrounds imaginable. My first child attends an Ivy League school and was very prepared by this school system. My second is a freshman and is getting a great love of learning here.

Posted May 24, 2007

I was born and raised in this community, and South was the best experience of my life. Ms. Franks, I'm sorry to say but your children took the easy way out because they couldn't keep up with the spirit, love and pride south provides for their students. It is neither the administration, activities, teachers nor the school that discourages students, rather parents that don't see the excellence behind powerful education. South built a beautiful resume for my future and taught me many things books will never teach me. Everything was available if you put your efforts into it. Students end up traveling the world, meeting people they never dreamed about and much more. Every year the spirit is more intense and every year I'm away I miss it more and more. I admit, some teachers a little out of date but most fun, moving and influential. This school is sincerely amazing.

Posted October 6, 2006

I have had two children go through WWPHSS and both enjoyed wonderful academic and extracurricular experiences. NJ magazine has consistently ranked the school within the top 5 or so in the state. The faculty, except for a couple of tenured clinkers, is generally very good and in many cases exceptional. The impressive academic curriculum is complemented by a rich palette of outside events and activities. The environment is competitive academically (avg SATs well above 1200) and socially, and I have seen several cases where students just could not succeed there because of it. Usually these students end up in private schools or in another district. But for the majority, the academic experience rivals that found at an exclusive private school. Well over 90% go on to college, with 5-10% attending Ivy league or equivalent institutions. I couldn't be more pleased with the education my kids received.

Posted December 4, 2005

Fun school with a lot of pride. Rigorous academics, good teachers. Overall good experience.

Posted May 13, 2004

I am a student at WWPHS South, and I am currently finishing my fourth year here; my opinion is valid. The prior principle at WWPHS South was absolutely wonderful, but our new principle has a few things to learn, as does any person in a new position. Teachers in the in all departments are exceptional excluding those in Science and Language, due to lack of communication and disciplinary skills. Many extracurricular programs are offered and there is something for everyone. The rules and regulations of this school are enough to keep one safe and disciplined if they are not looking got get in-between a rock and a hard place. With the rules that are in place we are not suffocated, but are given guidelines to allow us to grow into capable and educated individuals. I have been offered so much by this school, its people, and diversity.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

403 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

403 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

English language learners64%
Not migrant95%
Limited English Proficient Current Plus Former73%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

English language learnersn/a
Not migrant92%
Limited English Proficient Current Plus Former92%

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

SAT participation

SAT college ready

Graduation rate

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, ACT/SAT participation, and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 47% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 4%N/A34%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

Media arts
  • Video / Film production

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

346 Clarksville Road