No rating

St. Rose of Lima School

Private | PK-8

Living in Short Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $1,201,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Sweep tile

Posted May 5, 2013

The teachers here are generally terrific as are the kids and most of the parents. The Principal is okay (not great) and the curriculum is quite good. The kids do very well on standardized tests but this may be attributable to many factors. Overall, a warm, nurturing environment with good emphasis on Catholic values. Not the most diverse school, that's for sure. The car line comment below is out of date now that there are buses offered for many of the kids (especially for those from Maplewood and South Orange).

Posted February 6, 2013

SRLA is a second home to my family. My children feel safe and comfortable walking each morning. I am always uplifted my the warm greetings and children holding doors for each other as we walk in each morning. Our experience with different teachers has all been positive, with some teachers being extraordinary. I agree that our school is a special place. My husband and I also feel a great sense of camaraderie and support from the other parents - a strong majority of whom contribute their time, money and skills to keep the school community consistently improving. We are very happy at St Rose.

Posted February 5, 2013

St. Rose of Lima Academy is a warm and inviting elementary and middle school with strong Catholic values and an excellence in academics. As a parent of two children at the Academy for more than 7 years, I believe the faculty and administration care deeply for the students and their ability to succeed in and out of the classroom. My kids also love the athletics with well-rounded basketball and track programs as well as the community service and "family days" with the older kids. The preschool has also grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years and they have a great lunch and extended "poppins" option for young families. Its a special place.

Posted January 17, 2013

I went to this school and I was pushed down stairs and verbally bullied; my parents had to transfer me out of it. the kids don't accept their peers unless they are from the same ethnicity and wealthy. If you're different your excluded and made fun of. Plus the teachers don't do anything about it. For example: my old spanish teacher just sat there playing on her Ipad while I was being ganged up on. Is that really the environment you want your child/children to go to? I just left about 2 years ago

Posted October 6, 2012

Would you like to wait in car line all morning and evening? Take your kids here. I actually had 2 sweet little girls until they went here. This school turns your kids into something else. Leadership is laughable, agenda having religious figures trying to scare kids instead of gaining their respect. I wouldn't send an animal to this school.

Posted September 11, 2012

Two of my children attended St. Rose. One is now in High School and the other is entering Third grade. We are entering our eleventh year at St. Rose and I can't say enough good things about the school. I was very pleased with the education both of my kids received. Academics are excellent and the teachers inspire a love of learning. You don't have to choose just one thing to specialize in. My oldest child became a lover of classics and all things science. All of the teachers know all of the kids and it's my impression that they watch over them and care about what happens. There are moms that work and moms that stay at home and as a working mom I was always welcome at whatever was going on in school. I would recommend St. Rose highly.

Posted February 14, 2012

For the price, you would expect the teachers and staff to be the best in the state...this is NOT so. The teachers are unfriendly and the staff (excluding Danny, who answers the phone) is appalling. If you are interested in sending your child to a that emphasizes material values over moral, than this is the school for you.

Posted June 30, 2008

I went to school here from k-8; I thought it was good...I was well prepared for high School...now I am a Freshman Engineering Student at Stevens Institute of Technology

Posted November 8, 2007

St Rose is an excellent school. Ive been going here for many years and it is a great expirience. I have made many friends and it is a very welcoming enviorment. It not only teaches you academics and religion but it teaches you about life and leadership.

Posted August 26, 2007

i was in this school, and it was the best school that i had ever been. I'ts to bad that this school isn't a high school too, becuse if it was, this would be my first choise. I left Saint Rose because i had to move, i went to europe, and here in europe, i never had an education like at saint Rose. At saint rose, the teachers were very calm and nice, and when you didn't understand something, they would be there to help you out. If you didn't know or understand something, they wouldn't humiliate you in front of the whole class, instead, they would expln it to everyone again. The library had a bigger selection in books than any other school that i have attended. All students (well, the ones that i got to know) were nice and not snobby at all. Saint Rose is a great school.

Posted April 29, 2007

This is an amazing school that offers the 'full' range of educational opportunities. The students are offered many sports, enrichment and volunteer opportunities. The faculty takes an overall interest in each student and the overall school community. The HSA is very involved in fundraising so that many cultural events and extras are provided to the students.

Posted May 20, 2006

This school offers a wide range of educational opportunities. Not just great academics, but many educational extracurricular activites as well.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 21, 2004

Four of my five children attend St. Rose. It provides an excellent environment with strong Catholic foundation. 45%+ Students score in the 89th percentile on the Terranova tests. Graduates get accepted to top private high schools and later top colleges and universities. Active parent organization, students involved in social concerns. Sports program includes basketball, track, soccer, golf, wrestling & laccross. Non-sport activities include yoga, choir, forensic debate, computer and theatre. Faculty fully credentialed, all have degree some post-graduate.

Asian 10% 8%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Newark

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

52 Short Hills Avenue