9-12 & Ungraded
Sparta, NJ
Students enrolled: 1,202

Posted February 23, 2014
I have 2 students that are recieving an excellent education as well as an experience.

Posted January 13, 2014
I keep reading about how Sparta students don't get into good schools, but I'm a Duke grad. Of my friends who I graduated with, we have Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Harvard, UVA, and Stanford represented. I'm not sure what they're talking about when they say "You'll be lucky to get into Community College."

Posted May 02, 2013
This school is average. There are highs and lows. Many teachers will support you if you want. If you're lazy, they will not hesitate to let you fall behind. I attend MIT now, and a few of my graduating class also attend Ivy league schools. While I wasn't accepted to MIT due to my being at Sparta high, being in college now, I value what i did learn here. My education here was very good, because my parents decided to make it so. You can go far from being a Sparta graduate, but not without outside help. All in all, Sparta is a good platform to jump off of or fall from, but it really depends on your legs to see how far you land and how well you stand.

Posted October 13, 2012
I attended Sparta High School and am proud that I went there. The teachers and coaching staff were excellent overall. I participated in cross-country and track. Ms. Lockhart was a fabulous, patient algebra instructor. I felt a part of the school community. GO SPARTA!

Posted July 11, 2012
Our daughter graduated from Sparta & had a wonderful experience; many great opportunities; She went on to a good university where she excelled thanks to the good education she had received a Sparta!

Posted April 16, 2012
Sparta High School Doesn't make the grade. Test scores don't lie. The most recent state testing indicates that Sparta High is ranked #42 in the "I" school district out of a total of 48 schools. This places Sparta High near the very bottom of their district. Yes, the school has been remodeled and they are trying their annual curriculum change. However, this has been done almost every year and the results continue to disappoint. Things will not change until they get rid of the Superintendent and his supporters on the BOE that have driven this once proud "Blue Ribbon" school district into the ground. High taxes and poor school performance all add up to a bad school choice. Private school in Sparta is a must if you want your kids to get a good education!

Posted November 30, 2011
We moved here from a state in which we thought that the public school system was less than adequate. We had read and heard from our realtor that Sparta High School was in the top tier of the state. What a huge shock to find that not only was this school below expectations, but our "less than average' school system from another state was far superior in terms of SAT scores and overall education scores. Our children expressed out of control classrooms, teachers who teach in a politically liberal if not accurate sense, and a staff that leads out of fear of parental retribution. The students who graduate from SHS are not attending Ivy League schools. In fact, many are happy to get into community college. The students run this school, and the leadership allows it. If you are reading this and considering moving to Sparta for the school system...make sure that you have enough built into your budget for private schools. You'll find it you are going to need it!

Posted October 31, 2010
I am disappointed by the Sparta BOE. I moved here speciifcally for the educational system 8 years ago. I have been going to nearly all the BOE meetings and sadly see all the wasteful spending that they do. At a $64 Mill. budget they just keep spending. They make careless decisions and keep all the focus on the high schoolers and not on the younger elementary kids. The educational system is trending downward; they need to get new leadership from the BOE and the super.

Posted May 27, 2009
Sparta just passed the largest referendum in the state showing the communities commitment to keeping the schools great in Sparta. They consistently pass budgets and have an Education Foundation that is active is raising the funds needed to keep excellance in the schools.

Posted August 21, 2007
The music programs haven't enough funding, the building is falling apart and the new addition won't be finished for years (putting students in trailers for classes), sports are overemphasized, teachers are unsympathetic and uncaring. Honors and AP classes are mostly a joke and consist of an arbitrary unduly long application and testing process for acceptance, extremely small classes, and the same studies as the regular programs but with more homework. I would not at all recommend this school.

Sparta High School
70 West Mountain Road, Sparta, NJ  07871
Last modified Sparta High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sparta High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top