Ranney School

Private | PK-12 | 822 students

Academic Excellence, College Prepartory Curriculum, Arts and Athletic programs

Living in Tinton Falls

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $270,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,370.

Sweep tile

Posted April 6, 2014

We have a son in the upper school who is having a great experience at Ranney. He is working hard and seems challenged academically but loves his teachers, advisors, and the whole staff. We have been so impressed by the caliber of teaching and have been hearing great things about college counseling. The college list is incredibly impressive. The athletic program could probably use a little attention, but we feel as if that, too, will improve. We have heard great things about the new AD coming in... The new headmaster seems to be making a lot of positive changes.

Posted April 6, 2014

We are new parents of a pre-k daughter and could not be happier with our choice. Ranney is such a warm and nurturing environment, and we feel that she is so excited about learning new things every had. We are impressed by the new headmaster. He seems great. He often gets the kids out of the car at the early childhood center and has a daughter in the same grade. We love our teacher, the staff, and other parents. It is a wonderful community. There is also a lot of diversity, which we are excited about We looked at private schools that seemed pretty homogenous. The campus is great, and she is able to do so many things--swimming, science, music Next year she will start learning languages. Overall, a great experience so far...

Posted April 4, 2014

Excellent learning environment that allows the student to explore all areas of possible interest. Challenging curriculum that prepares the student for future educational success and much more advanced than any other learning institution in the area. Quality teachers who take the time to Know and Value your child and who are engaged with each individual student. All aspects of the school work to see your child exceeds in any endeavor they undertake.

Posted February 25, 2014

I have a 2nd grader and 5th grader (both boys) at Ranney and their school experience has been nothing short of fabulous. They both entered as beginners when they were 3. Ranney has an incredible arts and music department. My 11 year old has learned to play violin well enough to play in orchestras without even a private lesson. With extended hours and after school programming for enrichment Ranney school is perfect for families with two working parents. Your children get exposed to so many activities that it helps to hone in on where your child's talents and interests lie. Every year, my children have loved their teachers, friends and overall school experience. If you are a stay at home parent, the school offers many ways to be involved and be around your children during the school day. My boys love to see me helping out around the school. I feel that the friends and the bonds that they have formed with last through a lifetime and can be extremely valuable for social networking in the future.

Posted February 24, 2014

After six years at Ranney, I can honestly say that it has been a privilege to be part of this community. Ranney is truly an exceptional and multifaceted school. Every family will have a different experience based on their child s interests but there are some common denominators. For me, it comes down to two things. The first is, at Ranney, every child is known and valued they truly are and, at Ranney, it s cool to be smart. Ranney isn t for everyone. The academics are rigorous and there is a lot of homework every night, but the classes are small and the teachers are exceptional educators. They genuinely enjoy teaching and the students benefit from the enthusiasm they bring to the classroom each and every day. The new headmaster is also amazing. He is committed to preserving what is special about Ranney celebrating the unique nature of every child - while being open to changes that help students fulfill their full potential, whatever that happens to be. We are as enthusiastic today as we were six years ago and look forward with excitement to all the Upper School has to offer.

Posted January 26, 2013

I have had two children that went to Ranney from Beginners 3 years to the end of middle school. Although I've paid tuition and was generous to the PSA, I never donated to the school. Still, at every turn, the administration and teachers were highly focused on my children from day one. If there was an issue or challenge, you were able to discuss it in detail with the administrators almost immediately. Recently, my child was considering boarding school, even though, he was a full year removed from Ranney, they took the time to meet with us, research our options, and offer to contact their contacts at our prospective schools on our behalf. The Headmaster Dr. Sykoff, came in to meet with us and spent time helping us. Keep in mind, he has announced his retirement, our son is no longer a student and we have never been donors or benefactors. All schools have their flaws but Ranney, its board and Dr. Sykoff have progressively improved this school every year since we've been there. Anyone who is serious about their children's experience should consider this school. i've found it to have a great bunch of involved parents, strong leadership and consistent progressive direction.

Posted January 10, 2013

Send One kid in 6th and the other in 9th. My older son was having academic problems but shortly after the school noticed they helped him in many ways by staying after, tutoring by older students, and just more lessons on how to study. ONE on ONE is big here. They really are a great school made with great kids. The community is welcoming and a great place to be.... There are things that will be in every single school meaning bullying ext

Posted September 12, 2012

Am looking into schools near this area and came across Ranney School. I've heard great things about the school. The only negative I've heard was that some children are just not academically cut out for Ranney (hence some negative reviews) but most other dedicated students and parents seem to love the school. The curriculum comparison between Ranney and other top public/private schools near the Rumson area show that Ranney's curriculum is often 1-2 years faster/accelerated. We are very excited for the potential to send our children here. The most impressive statistic was the 100% college matriculation rate for the last 5 years. 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Wow.....

Posted September 12, 2012

From another post..."Their is bullying" and "learner than the very rigorous"....? horrible.... No one who actually attends Ranney or a parent of a Ranney student would use such horrible grammar. If you are a student who can't keep up with the curriculum, study harder. If you are a disgruntled parent, send your child somewhere else. Monmouth county has TONS of great private AND public schools.

Posted May 31, 2012

i have 2 children in MS. Their is bullying in MS as with every MS, this admin can't seem to wrap their hands around it and control it. My child has been out of school more than in and I have spent thousands on private tutors. The child that was the ring leader supposedly has a family that donates a lot. I hate to think that would influence discipline but I have to say it certainly seems to have. Unless your child is a self motivated independant learner than the very rigorous academics will overwhelm them. Socially if your child has ever had problems I wouldn't suggest ever sending them to this school with it's small social structure, when a child is on the outs, they are out with the entire class. Parents seem to be able to throw their weight around with the headmaster and make unrealistic demands. Teacher retention is a concern for me, faculty does change more than appears to be effective. For the right child, a very intellectual & a solid social standing with their peers this school can be great & academically challenging. I believe they need more student support services. The support staff they have are overloaded and a bit demeaning to parents.

Posted May 14, 2012

My child has attended this school for 10 years from pre-k through middle school. The lower school was satisfactory, however do not waste your money on the middle school. I should have taken my child out. They are all fluff and no substance. They do not teach anything, and don't care what your child learns. Definitely not worth the money. There is no accountability on behalf of the faculty, so be prepared to pay for tutors in addition to the excessive tuition. I would not mind the large price tag, but they do not deliver what is promised in the Middle School.. I cannot wait for the current year to be over and get my child out of there. Unless you are a very wealthy family that donates alot of money they only pay you lip service and never really do anything to help or educate your child. Save your money and send you child to another school. This place is not worth it at all.

Posted December 20, 2011

Honestly I agree with the post below me in that many of these posts seem to have been written by students pretending to be parents. I recently graduated as a Ranney lifer and now am a college student. Simply put, although the school has its flaws - every school does - the place prepared me for undergraduate work. To be specific, I thought the lower school program was fantastic, I mean what do you know when you're seven years old, but still I thought it was great. The middle school, not so much. Yeah the middle school needs a lot of work. But the high school was phenominal. I didn't have one bad teacher in my four years of high school. A lot of kids, including myself, got into colleges that they shouldn't have because the college admissions pulls rediculously hard for each student. I'd say this: if you're a parent who's absolutely loaded with cash money and wants your kid to grow up in a very very safe environment for their whole life, start them out young. If your goal is to put your kid in the best spot to get into a good school and have the money, start them out in high school. Don't start them out in 6th grade though, it would be a waste.

Posted December 13, 2011

I am a former student debating sending my children to Ranney. I'm trying to determine whether anyone actually screens these reviews to ensure they're coming from parents, not just whining brats who are disenchanted with their teachers. Half of the reviews that are supposedly written by parents have misspellings, poor grammar, and sound like they were written by home school dropouts. I'm doubting their validity. If this review makes it online, then I guess no one is verifying whether the reviewers are for real, and this is just a forum for complainers.

Posted October 6, 2011

I disagree with the last several reviews. I think there is great opportunity for all students at Ranney. If you have an academically gifted student, they can truly soar...and have superior opportunities when they apply to college. There is great support for students who struggle academically. There is outstanding communication between the staff, administration, and students. I feel my three children who have gone through Ranney were truly "known and valued". It is a very small enviroment, which doesn't work for all students. There is ample opportunity for athletics, but not as highly competitive as larger schools. That said, many students receive athletic scholarships to top tier colleges. It is very expensive, but we have had a wonderful ride. We were not in a position to make a large donation, yet the headmaster knew my children and treated them well.

Posted August 9, 2011

I agree with the last several reviews. Save your money. The headmaster is only concerned with families that have bought into the propoganda and have donated greatly. Students that have above moral character and grades are not valued unless there is a substantial donation behind it. The Board of Trustees buy their way onto it and are only there to further their own childrens experience. There is grade elevation and teachers do not teach especially in middle school and upper school. Parebts of children who are bullied who do not donate are told that the school cannot do anything Children who have left the school in my experience are much happier and get a better idea of the real world. If you choose the send your child there go prepared for an eye opening . It usually takes about three years upom average to see the whole picture.

Posted July 23, 2011

I have 2 children that graduated from Ranney and the short answer is, save your money. Ranney is focused on money. They inflate grades for the students who's parents contribute in the thousands and those who's parents don't get bullied by the teachers and administrators. Teachers don't teach and it's very common to higher private tutors at home as recommended by Ranney teachers. a phrase my kids often heard from a teacher was 'i have a headache, have your tutors go over this chapter when you get home'. The headmaster, dr sykoff, fosters a sense of animosity and unhealthy competitivness among students. Awards are only given to students who's parents have special status with the staff and who, again, donate in the thousands. They are always looking at the bottom line, meaning statistics of who got into what college, but what they don't tell you is most of Ranney's kids struggle and a large precentage drop-out once they reach college because academically they're not prepared. My kids both got into top schools and are both doing graduate work now, so it's not sour grapes but merely some valid and sincere advice. save your money and the headaches you will encounter. good luck :)

Posted June 3, 2011

Ranney talks a great talk, too bad they do not deliver they boast how every child is valued, your valued higher if you give a big donation. I have a 7th grader at Ranney who can't wait to get out. Ranney boasts about the honor code and moral value, I have found that most of the children are rich snobs who think they are better then everyone else. I spend alot of time re-teaching what should have been taught at school, the teachers used to be great, now I find uninterested, and lazy instructors who don't do their jobs, my son is a A student which I give myself and my son credit for not the teachers. I thought my son would be a lifer but i am extremely disappointed. Ranney has become obsessed with money and I am always harassed every year to donate money! not after paying $23,000.00 per year in tuition I am not getting my moneys worth and leaving! if you value your child DO NOT send them here. we have wasted seven years here and wish we left sooner you will not receive what they boast about it's all talk to get your check and if you have a problem good luck I find that the staff are mean spirited and not loving or nurturing or care about the students who do not send in big donations!

Posted May 26, 2011

The quality of an independent school can be quickly determined by a look at where its graduates matriculate.

Posted May 18, 2011

PLEASE think twice . The teachers do not teach the children. Nearly every student has some type of tutor at home to teach the lesson that was not covered in school. The children miss so much of the work in class so they can attend meaningless athletic awards programs during school. Some of the teacher are good but they usually leave. The teachers that stay are really the ones that need to go. Many times my child and others have said that many of the teachers will just sit in class and ask them to read the chapter in the book while they are the computer doing work to get their master degree online(the teacher even tells them this). The children get homework and some say it is to much but the reality is that much of this work could have been done in class but the teacher never have enough time or lack interest to cover it in class. Ask any student that left Ranney and went to another school you will find out that they were behind in many subjects. Ranney will tell you how superior they are academically just ask the students how many tutor they have and you will see who should get credit. PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you send your child to Ranney.

Posted March 28, 2011

After 12 years at Ranney (daughter started at 3.5 yrs old) we will be leaving Ranney as our daughter enters 10th grade. Poor administration and continuing double standards haunt Ranney. As some of the other reviews and comments state, and as the kids get older we as parents begin to realize how much of what Ranney is is just talk and not action. The Board has supported the administration in keeping old, dead wood teachers and the arts and sports programs reflect this. Sad, the school could be a good school. They do need to learn that 'a dead fish starts to stink at its head"

Asian 21% 8%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Rumson Country Day School
Oak Hill Academy
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation New York University
Cornell University
George Washington Universtiy
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • John's Hopkins Award (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Foreign language and culture club

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Lawrence S. Sykoff
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Independent Study
  • Internships
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • both private and public bus
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Amnesty international

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2011-2012 school year.

Students accepted for the 2011-2012 school year
140
Applications received for the 2011-2012 school year
200
Students typically come from these schools
Rumson Country Day School

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
New York University
Cornell University
George Washington Universtiy
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Full College Counseling Office