Bad
Good

We have a new Principal, JAMES RICOTTA, JR. He came to SOUTH HS IN 2014. He was the formerly Principal at BEACHWOOD ELEMENTARY. I find Mr. Ricotta, strict, compassionate & very good at his job. He continues with the news letters to parents. This is a tool I find very useful. High school students tend to let you know what's going on the day of event or worse yet the night before... reading the news letter is a strong tool for the parents, that care about their child's education. I record major events into my calendar and it gives me a hands on preparedness, that really helps. We also have electronic grade books available for all if Toms River Schools.

This is my daughters first year of high school south. I am very pleased by the way things are being run. she likes her teachers and everything is well organized. the principal sends out weekly updates and monthly updates which is very nice to be able to read what's going on at the school. Also the office staff is very polite and helpful.

we where looking in the area and was not welcomed it was a horrible day for my kids, the irony was parents and some of the local people where very un friendly

guidance department doesnt help with schorshops n grants help chldren with career goals i know my son doesnt feel confrtable going 2 c his guid counsler + the guidcounslers should be helping each jr N senior4schorliships n grants NOT JUST THEIR OWN CHILD, i ask 4my son 2 get schorlship help he never received it the same with my daughter a few years back Like i ws totally agnored the guiddeptant needs 2 stat doing their jobs and get grants N schorlships 4 the jrs and sniros u dont have 2 wait 2 Bcome senior 2 get a grant or schorlship it does start in their jr year, My chldren didnt receive any help even aftyer my emails to the man guidance counsler

As a parent of a junior here, I am completely satisfied with the education my son is receiving at HS South. The acedemic challenge and support is first rate, the athletic program is fair and well run. The school spirit is the best I have ever witnessed, which speaks volumes on how much the teachers and staff care about the education and welfare of the students.

Our daughter received a great education at South. The staff was amazing. They were always available to offer extra help, help with sending college apps, etc. There is a wide variety of activities available for the students from sports to clubs so there is something for everyone. It is the oldest HS in TR and the building is small and somewhat crowded. It is probably the most diverse student population of the TR HSs, which we liked. Overall a wonderful learning enviroment.

this school has the best acedemics in this area but the hall ways could be a little bigger all in all th ebest.

As a parent of a senior and a freshman, I have nothing but positive things to say about this school. The school pride and spirit is incredible. The teachers are wonderful and encouraging, and the parent involvement is second to none. If your child is not an athlete - that does not matter- there are so many other activities to join - and all of the kids support each other. As the wife of a former alumni, my husband and I moved to this section of town when my sons were little so that they could experience this great school. The kids are down to earth and friendly - there are no competitions for who has the 'best' of cars, clothes, etc. like there is in the other two Toms river High Schools. Go South!

as a student that has been to every high school in toms river, the rest just can't compare. toms river high school south is the most friendly, laid back, spirited high school you will ever step in to.

When my daughter had to write her college essays, they all went back to something she had recieved from being at High School SOuth. One of the essays asked her what she had to offer to her new campus and her answer, Indian Spirit that would alwyas encourage her to be involved and have an impact on the school community after all, it's not always about strictly academics. If you ask aboutt academics, I would have to say, the caliber of friends she has made have encouraged her to be an honor student in the calssroom, on the sports field and a leader in the community. In one of her essays she recounts how disappointed she is with teenagers that claim to do something risky because they are bored....she has not had one day where she has been bored during high school. There is always something to do!

Last modified Toms River High - South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.