No rating

Monsignor Donovan High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Toms River

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $230,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

Posted September 20, 2011

I have 2 boys currently attending Monsignor Donovan, they love it there and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The block schedule is fantastic, set up more like a college than an elementary school. This allows the middle of the day flex period to be very productive for clubs, and any extra help needed from teachers. It also allows students an extra class period a year for areas they are interested in. The laptop each student receives as a freshman is great because so many of their books are available electronically. The faculty and clerical staff encourage inclusion for all children, and I see the evidence of this. My boys say it is "cool" to be smart here, there is no dumbing down of the student body by the stereotypical "dumb jock" syndrome. So far, it has been an extremely positive experience for our entire family. I encourage students who are interested to visit for the day. I have 2 issues.. Both my sons participate in sports year round and there is not a second bus for after school activities (sadly)...the price you pay for catholic school education. I do not like the new winter uniform. Small things compared to the value of their education.

Posted May 13, 2010

Having attended public school first, private school was the better. It is true 'You get what you pay for.' Those that go there & bad mouth Mon Don are those who don't give their best- they are not going to hand you a diploma- 'you get what you give.' I think Mon Don is a great school & as I agree for those that stay on the straight path you will leave with great hopes for your future. As in any place you go, work/school, there will always be cliques, drugs & alcohol, & mean people you just have to decide what path you choose. All in all, academically Mon Don is great & starting out as a scared freshman not sure what to expect, the school staff & faculty were very welcoming! Thank you Mon Don!

Posted January 3, 2010

Mondon is a high school it fits the definition perfectly. There are stereotypes everywhere, cliques, yet if you are nice and you don't start drama everyone is nice to you. In the other reviews you will read that the teachers are so great, yea they are, but what I found in freshmen year the honor teachers are like hardcore with learning and will not give out ease to any stress. Now with honors and CP classes there really is no difference, it's just in CP the teachers take more time to help you, theres way less homework, and the classes run smoother and what i have to say 'fun'. The honors classes are a little more fast pace they expect you to do more work then they have to teach and your a little more independent. But you're learning the same material as CP.

Posted November 1, 2009

My son graduated Monsignor Donovan HS and my daughter is a junior there. The students are well mannered and focused on their future goals. The staff is always available for the children and parents 24/7.

Posted September 7, 2009

2.7 actually. I agree with people who say that the whole student atmosphere is very cliquey and there are a lot of stereotypes. It's a classic example of how a school can be filled with mean, fake people. There are only like 5 guidance counselors that have to take care of like 1000+ students. But the absolutely, most best thing about Mon Don is the teachers, hands down.

Posted May 4, 2009

I'm a student at Monsignor Donovan and I am forced to admit that this year I have found the experience to be unsatisfactory. Not only do some of the Honors courses more aptly reflect the AP courses but there are a few teachers that cause the students undue stress. I personally have 2 of them this term. Frankly at this point I am praying that i just pass these two classes. P.S- I am an A-B student who maintains 5 out of 8 honors courses (excepting gym, band, and alg. 2)

Posted December 30, 2008

Mon Don is an excellent school! I completely agree that it provides more of an education than just scholarly. All of the teachers are amazing and while some may say that they are 'green' because they are getting paid less, I found that the teachers care far more about their students than those in public schools. They are willing to be paid less because they care about the school and the students, not because they are unqualified. While drinking, etc does happen, I would say it happens far less than public schools and even other Catholic schools. Mon Don was just such a great community of students and teachers and I am so glad that I went to school there.

Posted December 6, 2008

I must disagree also with all the negative reviews. Personally, I think some of these people with the negative reviews never attended the school and are here just to bash it. My experience with MonDon was great. Coming from MonDon, I felt as though was much more prepared for college than most people of my grade. Yeah there was drinking but I'd like to know what high school doesn't have the same problem and with regards to the laptops, yeah they were probably a waste of money but it added to the experience. Kairos was an amazing experience, and the friends I made from the school will be with me forever, so whoever is here to bash MonDon, you really need something better to do with yourselves. MonDonAlumni2007

Posted November 12, 2008

I am a senior at MonDon, so I totally disagree with all of the negative reviews. The negative reviews are so far from the truth. I love MonDon! the teachers are great, the administration is great as well, and the guidance department is really helpful. I honestly don't see how anyone can dislike MonDon.

Posted October 18, 2008

I'm a freshman and I think Mon Don is awesome. It's soo easy to make friends and everyone is really down-to-earth. Flex is amazing and I love the fact that we get to go to our clubs during school. The teachers are great so far, the clubs are fun, the sports teams keep winning everything, there's tons of charity work, lots of technology (laptops!), the quad is a great place to hang out, and everyone really seems to care about school. And another thing that's school is that all grades get to interact. You're not limited to making friends in your own grade. Everyone's friendly and welcoming. You should go to Mon Don if you can!!

Posted April 14, 2008

I would take up an entire page it i wrote how much i hate this school. Mondon is different on so many different levels but it is not always a good thing. It is full if judgemental people, no body gives anyone a chance, everyone knows everyone elses business, and the student are cruel. I have never met more student that are fake in my whole entire life before. Mondon is all about 'technology'...Ha! yeah right. We neve ruse our computers and when we do we're told to put them away in 10 minutes. Half of the teachers don't even use their sylbus. I can go on and on about this school but it will be pointless because mondon has such great reveiws....Not.

Posted April 6, 2008

MonDon prepared me academically as well as spiritually. School was a joy to attend, teachers cared about students. The community service requirement, something I resisted at first, was a great experience. The retreats students participate in all four years were very beneficial. The Kairos retreat was probably four of the best days of my life. It is something very few people have an opportunity to do, to sit and reflect about yourself for four days away from it all, if you have the opportunity take it. I think MonDon offers something that is often lacking in today s schools, building a student s character. Yes, the guidance department had issues (nothing is perfect) and yes there was drug use by some students (but find me a high school where there is not.) Like anything else it s what you put into it but if you do MonDon has a lot to offer back. MonDonAlumni2004

Posted March 27, 2008

this is a great school. I love the teachers and admistration. its welcoming and fun to be at. the school day it great and I find that it goes a lot quicker. I will not disagree about what the last reviewer said. there is a good amount of drugs and alcohol, parties, and dramas. it is a little catty, but the students who stay focused and make friends with the right people will have the most amazing four years of their life. I'd recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 5, 2008

I am a student at Monsignor Donovan High school. I personally greatly dislike the school. I find many of the teachers under qualified. The guidance councelers arent too helpful either! The school in a whole is far too clicky. Also for a 'catholic school' there is a large amount of drugs and alcohol in the school. i personally dont feel its a safe enviroment.. many of my fellow students are cruel individuals who are souly out there to make your high school years terrible. It is not a very welcoming school. Like i previously stated the teachers for the most part are not good. If your looking into Monsignor Donovan think twice.. and listen to your children if they want to leave. Its all true!

Posted August 7, 2005

Excellent quality in academic programs, extremely challenging. Students encouraged to advance. Music, art, sports, clubs available in several areas.

Posted June 6, 2004

Previous reviewer must have an ax to grind. Why would anyone pay $12,000 if they were so dissatisfied? Learning disabled children are placed with Academic Support personnel, not guidance counselors. Mr. Palguta, in particular, is the dominent strength of the Guidance Dept. and makes himself available to all students. He is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to college counseling. It will be a major loss to the school when this gentleman retires. I put 3 children through this school with far more pros than cons. MonDon is a very caring community and the administration is superb. Mrs. D'Andrea, the Assistant Principal, heads Admissions and is, without a doubt, the glue that holds this wonderful school together. She is absolutely wonderful to deal with.

Posted May 10, 2004

I have 2 children that attended Monsignor Donovan. One who was an honors student who has already graduated and one who is learning disabled. The strongest attribute of the school is their teachers. The weekest is the guidance staff and administration.

Posted February 23, 2004

I believe that Monsignor Donovan offers its students a total education, not just academics. The students are prepared to enter the world as well rounded adults. The teachers are caring and very willing to spend time with their students. The school has much to offer the students in regards to both academics and extracurricular activities.

Posted September 10, 2003

Monsignor Donovan High School is the best school for children, they care and prepare the boys and girls for the future. I haave one son who graduated in 2000, and another son now in his senior year. Teachers really care about their students, and discipline is continued in school as is at home.

Posted August 25, 2003

Awful guidance center. Teachers tend to be young, green, and severely underpaid. Many of the quality teachers have left to other schools in the area.
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 15% 8%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Trenton

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

711 Hooper Avenue