Bad
Good

Buena Vista is welcoming to parents. Teachers here still enjoy teaching and take the education of students seriously. Students are valued. Teachers are professional. All five of my children have gone to BV or are going to BV. My husband and I know that they received a top notch education.

Don't count on being welcomed to participate greatly in your child's classroom activities, even fieldtrips. Your child's teacher, depending on who they are, might like your participation or they might act like it's an imposition, and the principal really doesn't encourage it (Except for the PTO fundraising. Now that she loves and that's her only idea about "parent participation"). Also, don't count on any conversation that you have with the principal being private. I found out that her calls are always on speaker and anyone who's near her office, like the secretary or anyone in the outer office like teachers or other parents can hear everything. And even if you have a face-to-face conversation with her, you can be sure it's going to be discussed with other staff members that have nothing to do with the issue. I know this because I have had staff members that I have known outside of the school that have contacted me and have been able to tell me exactly what I discussed with the principal. And they themselves knew that they should never have been privy to that info. So, if you can handle these issues, it's an okay school.

Have you been in a school where kids are happy, teachers are happy, janitors are happy EVERY time you go there? This is BV. This is our second year there and we have not met anyone bitter or impolite yet. This makes the difference in the quality of the education offered. 5 stars are too little for this school

My children went to North Elementry last year, which I was discouraged because they never came home with any homework or anything to study. They are going to Buena Vista this year and they are happier, have different attitudes about learning, come home with homework to do. The teachers are great and though my children are new to the school, seems like all the kids and teachers know them. This school makes a great effort in childrens lives, love it!

I think this is a very good school with highly trained teachers. Unfortunately class sizes are high which is out of the schools control. The educators have a lot of pressure placed on them to meet state standards. I feel compassion for what they do. I wish the school had more technology in place. The new principal is very good!

I would have to say that I am not impressed with this school. The teacher seems to be more worried about her meeting state standards, than making learning fun and productive. Stats show that children in this type of environment tend to burn out easily. Overall; the staff seems a bit overwhelmed, there is a new principle, new teachers, and many changes happening at this school. My son will not be attending next year.

Last modified Buena Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.