Bad
Good

Our son attended Yucca Elementary from 2008 (K) to 2013 (5th grade). He was identified as being gifted in 1st grade and advanced a year ahead in 2012. He always enjoyed going to this school. Communication with teachers, principal and gifted program facilitators was excellent. We became part of an advisory board of parents that contributed to the gifted program. Our few concerns we had about some policies were addressed and taken seriously. Overall a very good experience with this school.

When we moved to Alamogordo, I was really worried about the quality of the schools. SInce there is little to no choice in terms of private schools (Unless you go for fundamentalist christian), my son has attended Kindergarten and first grade at Yucca - and I have been pleasantly surprised. He has loved his teachers, and is excited about going to school. He has done very well, and learned a great deal - more than I expected. I don't know who was principal when others made a negative review, but the current principal is GREAT! Very hands on and involved in all aspects of the school. Not only did the school recently win a 'best in the state' award, so did she.

Good school considering the area--my child has been personally assisted by teachers/principal to overcome behavioral problems. I wish NM would put more money into their schools though, I detest being bombarded with fundraising throughout the year. My child should be learning, not selling. I've seen better school districts in general, but Yucca is doing the best with what it's got. Not hard to believe they were awarded Best in NM education award.

Great school couldn't ask for anything better. We're going on our fourth child passing through them great halls.

staff are people friendly; works to get the best from each student; Principal, teachers, support staff all love the children; not willing to settle for less than best effort.

I have 4 children and they are spread apart by many years. My eldest son son attended Yucca from kinder to 6th grade. Son #2, kinder through 5th. That was the first year 6th grade was moved to the mid-high. Son #3, kinder through 5th. And now I have a daughter attending Yucca. She is presently in the 3rd grade. Even though some of the years overlap 23 years combined is alot of years and we love the school. There has never been any kind of issue with the school that could not be resolved. For the majority of the staff that has been at Yucca for the past decade, their hearts and hard work and their love for the school does not go un-noticed. My daughter will continue at Yucca through her 5th grade year unles for some reason the school gets mowed down. We love Yucca, GO SCORPIONS !!!!

Son tested for Gemini program which is for advanced placement. We had to complete the application twice, did not get tested until subsequent year, and now we are being told he is a 'guest' in the program. This being told to our son (10) and not to us. No accountability and poor, poor performance on the person who should be setting an example. Wife is very involved and its a good thing. Teachers are saddled with multiple behavioral issues and the kids that excel are left to fend for themselves. Hence, you would think a pullout program like the Gemini program would help, but alas, the instructor had another 'meeting' to attend. When they only meet once a week, on a Monday, you would think there would be better planning. Principal is not involved. Need to just keep as involved as possible and encourage your kid to excel. It won't happen otherwise.

Last modified Yucca Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.