Alamogordo, NM
Before care: Yes

Posted October 14, 2013
My husband and I enrolled our daughter in the Kindergarten class, 2013-2014 school year at Fr. James B. Hay School. The Little School with a Big Heart , automatically makes you feel like your family. I am so pleased with their whole curriculum. They encourage students to do their best. The classes are small which allows all the teachers know all of the students on a first name basis. Students who have previously attended this school, and have moved onto middle or high school, have all been in higher level classes due to the curriculum at Fr. Hay. This year is the first year in which they offer Spanish for the 7th and 8th graders. One of the many reasons why I want my daughter to attend Fr. Hay is that, we are Catholic and I want her to learn more about her faith, not just at home but at school. Fr. Hay makes it optional for non-Catholic students, to work on other school work that s appropriate for their age/class. Fr. Hay offers, Taekwondo for the whole student body. A unique feature that Father Hay has, parents and guardians are required to fulfill Volunteer Hours. I feel this is a great way for us parents/guardians to set a wonderful example of pride for our children.

Posted August 21, 2012
My son has been attending FJBH since last year.I love that the class size is small.I moved my son from another private school where I felt that he wasn't enjoying learning.When I moved him to FJBH school I noticed a big change in him.He enjoyed going to school he was more active and not just sitting and constantly learning. He also gets to do Tae Kwon Do. My daughter went to school there in Kindergarten as well I regret not keeping there till she was ready to go to H.S. All the kids are great, the big kids look out for the little ones.I can't wait till my son gets older and can learn to play the guitar which Mrs. Scott teaches along with Tae Kwon Do and is also the PE teacher. Have I mentioned how nice all the teachers are and how wonderful it is to be able to communicate with them anytime I have a concern. The PreK always has a waiting list which I think say's a lot.My sons teacher is Great! I can't wait till he goes to 1st grade to be with Mrs. Kosek who I hear is a Great teacher. I could say so much more but there just isn't anymore room. I would recommend that everyone take the opportunity to visit or call FJBH school if you are looking for an alternative to public school.

Posted August 07, 2012
Father Hay is a great choice for children ages Pre-K-8th grade. We are active duty military and have experienced nine schools throughout the years with our three children, ages 18, 15 and 11. Our youngest attended Holloman Elementary during 4th grade. After one year with APS we made the change to Father Hay. In that year my daughter entered with the math level of a second grader...this after one year of school in Alabama and one with APS...by the end of Fifth grade Mrs. Jarvis had her up to a Seventh grade level of math. Her reading scores also improved from a 5th grade level to an 11th grade level in one year. Without question she will be attending Father Hay for her Middle School years. This school is a diamond in the rough and I feel extremely blessed to be a part of it. The teachers and staff are welcoming and loving. I love that my daughter gets Tae Kwon Do and Guitar lessons included in tuition. I also love that the children run a mile every week and have performances at the local theatre. We made the BEST choice!

Father James B Hay School 4

Posted April 05, 2012
Our move to Alamogordo was unexpected and happened very fast, so we didn't have a lot of time to research the area schools. After talking to the few people we did know, we decided to enroll our 1st grader into the on-base elementary school. Rather quickly, it became clear that this was not a good fit, so we began researching alternatives. We are not catholic, so although we'd heard good things about Father Hay, we were reluctant to even consider it as a viable option. A friend finally talked us into visiting the school. My husband and our 3 kids made an impromptu visit to the school on a Friday morning and were treated to a lengthy, in-depth tour and q&a with the administrator. We were introduced to the 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Kosek, who also spent a lot of time with us answering questions and giving us her philosophies and teaching style. We were so impressed on our visit that we not only enrolled our 1st grader, but our twins into the pre-k as well. It has been a great year for all 3. I cannot say enough about Mrs. Kosek or the Pre-K teachers, Mrs. Avalos and Mrs. Gallegos. The small class sizes, tae kwon do and music programs and homey feeling have made all the difference.

Posted October 26, 2009
Coming from a parent who researched every school around the city, along with resorting to checking out home school - I absoutely fell in love with Father Hay and their teachers and staff. My son began Pre-K this year and I must admit my expectations were not only met, but were exceeded. The teachers are amazing, have the patience of saints, and provide great feedback on how my son is doing. He has gone from counting to about 14 to over 30 in a few months, is writing, learning so much about the world and the value of prayer...he even says grace for us before every meal! I just wish they had classes to 12th grade - as i would keep my kids there the whole way. Keep up the dedicated and wonderful work!

Father James B Hay School 0

Posted September 15, 2008
My son transferred to Fr. Hay when he was old enough for pre-k ,from an Army daycare facility. The advantages of having a real, state-certified teacher, with an aide, in the classroom cannot be overstated. The class size is small, the teacher and her aide are extremely competent and kind to the children while still being strict and demanding compliance. The curriculum for 4 year olds is comprehensive; colors, shapes, letters and letter sounds, pre-reading skills, social skills, etc. The children still have nap and playground time which is essential; for the boys especially. My family has changed from one where my son was obviously running the show at his old daycare, and tried Mom's limits anew at the start of every weekend, to one where my rules and values are reinforced throughout the day. We are so pleased with the switch that I plan to keep him here throughout elementary.

Posted September 11, 2008
Father Hay offers a safe alternative to public school. It provides an enhanced curriculum in which my children receive one-on-one and small group instruction. The teachers are committed to excellence and work for very little pay. The community has supported this little school for over 50 years because it addresses the whole child and teaches morals and ethics which are so lacking in public schools. The principal leads a team of caring, qualified staff who give more time and energy to this little school than I have ever seen in public schools. I am proud to have my children go to Father Hay School.

Father James B Hay School 0

Posted September 11, 2008
My child has been in enrolled in the Preschool Program since last school year. From the begining, there was a definite improvement in her academic and social skills. The teachers are thorough in their teaching of the basics in language arts and math, while providing a good, christain atmosphere. Thanks to their hard work and dedication, my daughter will be ahead of the curve when she starts Kindergarten next year.

Posted August 07, 2008
I have 2 daughters that go to this school. One thing I can say about this school is that it definately has a big heart. The teachers not only push the children to achieve their best, but they also really care. The teachers are there because they love to teach, not for the pay. the only thing that I wish could change is the parental involvement. It seems like the same group of parents always trying to do everything....if only more parents would volunteer, think of what we could accomplish!

Father James B Hay School
1000 East 8th Street, Alamogordo, NM  88310
Last modified Father James B Hay School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
Father James B Hay School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top