Amy Biehl Charter High School 3

Posted July 11, 2011
As a graduate of this school, I have mixed emotions about this school. While my parents would recommend this school to anybody simply because I graduated; I on the other hand, do not recommend this school. The grading system in the Math courses is rediculous to the other systems. It does not challenge the student and makes it quite difficult for the student to recover from a bad quarter. Also, since the math is nothing like any college math problems, you have difficulties with going into college level math. The English program kind of helps, but it does not help you grow in your writing style until the last year and one year does not help with growing your writing style. However, the teachers will help you when you need to....but it feels more like a "crash course" more than actually learning the material. I do not recommend this school unless you want your child to have a decent learning experience with somewhat little learning.

Amy Biehl Charter High School 4

Posted May 31, 2011
Very happy my daughter made the commitment to leave her neighborhood school and dare to walk her own path in life. She has made some very good connections and friends that she would have never made if she stuck to the same old thing that was fed to her through APS. The classes are smaller, the teachers and counselors are always available, and there is no reason for any student not to pass their classes. After school and Saturday help is also available. Parents and Students need to start thinking outside the box. The world is a much different place than where we grew up in., and so are schools and education.

Posted March 03, 2010

Posted July 16, 2009
As I watched Amy Biehl grow larger as a school I have seen it go downhill. I would love to say the math prepared me, but I feel held back by the non-traditional style math and unable to connect it to regular traditional collage style math. Though the teachers attempt to teach this style of math, the 'You understand it or you don't' way of grading seems to leave no in between for students. The style seems slightly objective of the teachers views on the topic. There is also a lack of English classes that really challenge your thinking and your ability to write. This is all important for collage. In light of these problems a growing number of students have seemed to be held back, and every year the number increases. I believe this is not a problem of 'stepping up' but learning how to fit into this style of education. I feel the concept of the school is very inviting but the fact is, is that it is not up to the growing standards every generation is meeting. If the school can look to itself and figure out a way to increase their students performance without losing most of the students it would be a fantastic school.

Posted April 30, 2009
As a graduate, i have to say that this is definitely not a school for everyone. Challenging curriculum, and very high expectations. The teachers are excellent, and there is heavy emphasis on parent involvement. Students are expected to be very independent and pro-active. The grading scale is set so that 75% is passing and nothing below that is allowed. This enables all graduates to earn the lottery scholarship. The only criticism I have is the math program, which did not prepare me for college classes. However, the overall experience there was fantastic.

Posted April 25, 2009
I am a senior at Amy Biehl and I have nothing but good things to say about it. My senior project has proved to be a wonderful challenge, my college classes added a significant amount to my knowledge, and the teachers were excellent. If you can make the lottery I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 22, 2008
I am a parent of a sophmore at amy biehl and its the best thing ever. Great community invlovement, lost of parental input and high academic standards

Posted September 02, 2008
I am a graduate of ABHS and I feel that this school in no way prepared me for college. The math class offered is ridiculous. It's mostly word problems on a grade school level. It left me unprepared for college math. Good teachers are few. My advisor actually took money from my senior project and then never paid it back. Also, the grading system is passed off as 'challenging' but you'll quickly find how ludicrous it really is. I also felt that the staff babied me rather than encouraging me to be stronger. And expect complete frustration with their lack of professionalism. More often than not it takes a personal appearance to get answers. If you're looking for a disorganized, unrealistic, frustrating school that plays favorites, look no further.

Posted July 23, 2008

Posted April 07, 2008
i am a student who is attending amy biehl chater high. after reading the other reviews i have realized that i am having the exact same problems as some of the parents on here. the teachers are very uncaring and just dont seem to care at all about me. today i went to transfer schools and all they did was get mad as if i was doing something wrong. its rediculous and i dont recommend this school to anyone at all.

Amy Biehl Charter High School
8300 Phoenix NE, Albuquerque, NM  87110
Last modified Amy Biehl Charter High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12
Amy Biehl Charter High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top