Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Not challenging. My son's homework is about 2 grades behind where it should be. He is bored and for being 8 he really likes the idea of switching schools. For the most part the teachers are great, but they set the bar really low. Teachers never reach out to the parents. Don't get me started on the days off either. Every break is followed by in service days. Spring break is coming up, but the Friday before they are off for Vernal Holiday? Really???

My family has had a very positive experience with Onate over the past 5 years with both the teachers, staff, parents, and other children. It is a smaller school and I believe that has really helped to make sure no child is overlooked. I have always felt like I could talk to my child's teachers anytime and appreciated all the honest, helpful feedback I would get. Since it is a smaller school, there aren't as many activities or clubs that you might find at larger, well-funded schools but the staff make the most of what they have and do a great job.

I am new to this school and what a challenge just to get my child into class. The staff constantly harp on how you can't disrupt the class, to the point of keeping the children out. A teacher made the comment that the staff is very protective of them against the parents, and that is an understatement. It seems they view the parents as the enemy and keep them away from both the school and the teachers. You cannot talk to the teacher before or after school with any concerns, you have to wait until parent conference. I really like the teacher and feel she has a genuine concern for her students, but parent participation / communication is almost against the rules. The secretary/clerk run the school because the principal is only there 2 to 3 days a week and they treat the parents like they are the evil force they must protect the school against. In short, I love the teacher, but dislike the staff. If you enroll your child here, be prepared to go to battle when dealing with any staff member.

This is our neighborhood school. We've had children attend here for a long time. It is a bit smaller in population than other schools, so it has a bit of a family feel. I can't think of a teacher I don't like. They have always seemed genuinely interested in my children's education. I know everyone here and everyone knows my family.

I am so glad to have left this school. I adored the teachers, but the administration left much to be desired. My children have progressed so much more since leaving this school. I wish I had done it five years ago.

Great teachers and good adiminstration! Great teacher to student ratio

Have two children at Onate. The size is extremely manageable and I feel that the teachers know all of the students. Teachers, principal, staff and parents are dedicated to making it a great school. The non-traditional schedule is a plus. We are transfers and couldn't think of a better place to send our children.

my child attends this school and seems to do just fine but very often the environment surrounding activities (when we have them) make me feel like an outcast. the principal is very snobish almost like she is the queen and will deal with things secretly and only when she feels like it. it really is very sad. i pointed her out to my son and he had no idea who she was. i adore the teaching staff, but it almost feels like they are being watched and are very careful about their interactions and conversations with the parents. i really feel it is very midevil around there.

The school is a wonderful school for children to learn and grow. The curriculum is on target and the teachers are dedicated.

Onate is a great school. The principal has high expectations, both academically and behaviorally and is clear and consistent with these. Most teachers are great. My only concern is that we lost our School Counselor. Mrs. Moulton was exceptional! She knew all the kids and they knew her. She was in the classrooms and worked with students individually and in small groups. She helped them socially and academically. She made a huge difference to students and parents...

Last modified Onate Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.