Albuquerque, NM

James Monroe Middle School 5

Posted June 15, 2015
As a deaf mother to 3 hearing daughters. My eldest daughter just got her 8th grade promotion ceremony and is ready heading to Cibola High School as a freshman coming up in this Fall 2015. My second daughter will be starting as 6th grade at James Monroe Middle School coming up in this Fall 2015. At first, I was having little troubles with communication with staffs and teachers at JMMS but it came out pretty good since we had worked out together to make efforts with the communications regarding with my eldest daughter who was a student during her 3 years at JMMS. Mrs. Sichler, the assistant principal are being wonderful and she made sure that I get the interpreters for any events, student lead conferences and any concerns regarding with education/school. Mr. Martinez runs school with some strict policies and made sure that students are getting good educations. We the parents, get the email occassionally with any events, anything related with schools so we don't feel left out which it's a great community supports. I do support the clothing policies which it is more easier do that. They do bend few things that are letting students to wear. My eldest daughter has been in Honor Roll for three years and has involved in National Junior Honor Society. I have seen my daughter being so happy at JMMS plus involved into clubs and Razzle Dazzle Dance Team. My second daughter is looking forward to go to JMMS. To let you know that Mr. Martinez has accepted a principal job at McKinley Middle School so we will have a new principal for JMMS for school year of 2015-2016. Don't let the rating and any negative comments affect you regarding with your child (children)'s education. You will know once you see with your own eyes. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with staffs, teachers, education and others at JMMS.

Posted March 10, 2015
Honestly when I met the principal Vernon Martinez he has a low level of manners and has a bad attitude. You will never see him smile (for future students) and he ignores many complaints. So be aware of the negativity that stays there

Posted December 12, 2014
The principal from this school is a lunatic !!! Disrespectful person who doesn't listen to a parent concern! Fire this guy! Several parents complaining about this individual. He apparently has no business been a principal. What a shame have an administrator like this one. Vernon Martinez you should go back to school yourself to learn serious manners ! I never in my entire life met an administrator so negative and an office staff extremely rude! What a shame !

Posted October 23, 2014
This is a awful school. Principal is just a bully. I want communication from the teachers about my child's progress. Principal did not want to hear about it. They send 10 emails about cake auctions fundraising etc but nothing on my child. The school needs a new administrator and one that cares about the students not just the money.

James Monroe Middle School 5

Posted March 10, 2014
JMMS is an excellent school. Principal Martinez runs a tight ship and has high expectations for staff and students. He responds ina timely and respectful manner to parent concerns and he (or Ms. Sichler, the great Assistant Principal), attend all the home and away athletic games to ensure positive behavior and good sportsmanship. Every teacher my sons' have had have been excellent communicators, provide challenging and innovative curriculums, and demonstrate support for struggling students. The office staff is courteous and efficient, the cafeteria staff is super, too! The PE program is phenomenal, with opportunities for all students to succeed! The PTSA provides numerous opportunities for parental involvement, as well. Even the custodial staff is friendly and keeps the campus in pristine condition; a true relection of school-wide pride. I am very pleased with JMMS and the education my children are recieving there! Go Rators!

James Monroe Middle School 4

Posted April 12, 2013
James Monroe is a great school. The teachers strive to give students the best education possible. The school works to teach students appropriate self-discipline and accountability as well as a rigorous academic curriculum. There are always going to be times when a student, a parent or a teacher encounters a problem; but in those cases it is important for all parties to try to work together to come up with a solution. The students are learning and making progress and there are many positive opportunities for students and families to be involved with the school.

James Monroe Middle School 2

Posted December 21, 2012
i substituted at this school quite often. the students are manged well and it is not chaotic. the difference in the classrooms is what is alarming. the gifted rooms are like being at home with all the luxuries and the special ed classrooms were quite depressing and nothing to stimulate so if you have a gifted child they would definitely love it..

James Monroe Middle School 2

Posted August 03, 2011
This school is not a pleasant working environment. I see some parents on here have complained about their child being bullied. I am not surprised - the administration allows teachers to bully other teachers, with no consequence so I imagine it's the same with the students. The administration is not concerned with the students learning - just discipline. However, the majority of teachers are not supported when the students misbehave. Somehow it becomes the teacher's fault that the student does not complete their assignments or behave. The school is more interested in entertaining and not upsetting the students rather than actually teaching them.

Posted July 17, 2011
My son had a horrible experience here. The math special education teacher was very unprofessional and unqualified for the position, yet administration protected her regardless of her actions. My many concerns were not addressed. Studies have shown that a bad teacher can do much damage...putting students "years" behind. What makes things worse is a school unwilling to make changes in favor of student success.

Posted May 19, 2011
This has been the worst school experience that my family has ever delt with, there are however, some good teachers. The top admin. not so much. My child will not be returning to James Monroe next year. By the way, my child has straight A's. I have a great deal of respect for the few teachers that have made a difference. For the most part, I wouldnt wish this school on anyone.

James Monroe Middle School
6100 Paradise Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM  87114
Last modified James Monroe Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Monroe Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top