Albuquerque, NM

Posted February 08, 2015
This is my children's first year at Sandia as we just moved into the area this past summer. I was very nervous about sending them to Sandia based on the reviews I had read and also comments other parents had made. However, we have been very happy with the school and my children's teachers are wonderful they go out of there way to make sure the children are challenged and learning as much as possible, I couldn't say enough positive things about there teachers. The school has a fun after school club that my children fully enjoy and it's a great club that is free of charge a big thank you to those who run it. From the cafeteria to the school nurse everyone is great and we don't have any complaints.
5 people found this helpful

Posted February 08, 2015
Mea Garcia has done an amazing job with Sandia base! Parent/teacher involvement is great as well!

Posted January 30, 2015
This school does not receive much praise. Several years ago, it was not a vet impressive school. Since the new principal arrived 3 years ago, she has done a remarkable job in turning the school around. She has continued to make improvements that are much needed. It saddens me to see this school not receive higher marks. As far as a learning environment for my children, I could not be any happier.
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 30, 2015
I find the previous reviews on Sandia Base and the principle VERY inaccurate. They seem to be from parents who do not spend enough time at the school to really have a full understanding of its principal, staff, and its policies. The principal is by the book and follows rules to the "T". Forgive her for making sure YOUR CHILD'S safety and academic experience is well established and taken care of. Parents who complain on sites like this are no where to be found at school meetings, and they certainly do not make appointments with the principal to address concerns. The principal has a very open door policy and welcomes all concerns brought to her in a civilized manner. Take the time to understand policies and the "method to the madness" BEFORE running and blabbing that Sandia Base is 'the worst school ever'. The principal runs a tight ship and takes no nonsense, from anybody. Forgive her for expecting parents to take the responsibility of setting the example of following the rules. I leave my children at Sandia Base with confidence every day, because I know "the method to the madness" works and it will keep my children safe and provide an excellent academic experience for them.
6 people found this helpful

Posted September 24, 2014
Most of the teachers at this school are great teachers and are great people. However, I do NOT have anything positive to say about the principal. She is very rude and disrespectful to not only the parents, but her faculty as well. Just hope that if your child attends this school that you never have to deal with her. If you have a disagreement with her about her treatment/discipline of your child as compared to other children in similar situations or that may have been involved and you call her out on it, expect your child to take the brunt of what comes afterwards and expect your child to have a target on their back for the remainder of the school year. My son and some of his classmates overheard the principal talking bad about some her faculty to other faculty members out in the open and was cussing in the process...setting a great example for my son and the other students. Just a little background, Sandia Base Elementary is now stuck with her after she was removed from her previous school. Her previous school's faculty threatened the school board with resignations if she was brought back as the principal. She is one of the biggest reasons we chose to school our child elsewhere.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 07, 2014
This school has become increasingly better each year. We have had three children here with my youngest now starting Kindergarden. I had my older children in private school before and the education they received here was better.

Sandia Base Elementary School 4

Posted April 25, 2014
I have to say I am impressed with the teacher my student has, she's a first year teacher but you could not tell that from the way she teaches and from the students behavior in her class. She really cares for her students and about them being SUCCESSFUL. I am GLAD my child is in her class. I couldn't have asked for a Better First Grade Teacher. She's always available to help when needed. I hope she comes back next year.

Posted April 23, 2014
Our kids have been in SBE since 2012, and I have to say that I have loved the support that my kids have had in this school. I truly think it depends on the teachers your kids have. I have always felt that my kids were safe and really encouraged to learn. My son's teacher makes the effort to give him harder work when she felt that the work she had planned was too easy for him. Both of my kids are also in the gifted program, and we have great open communication with all teachers. We are supposed to be zoned to bandelier elementary but we still choose to drive them daily to SBE. The secretary in the front, Ms. Alexis, is super nice and she remembers my kids names, among hundreds of other children. definitely recommend!

Posted March 12, 2014
I have to agree with the other about how horrible this school is. I hate taking my kid here. My kid is behind academically and when I confronted the teacher with questions about what I could do at home with my child the teacher didn't know what to tell me and just shrugged their shoulder. I am also hassled every week about some sale they are having (cause the school lacks funds) whether it is a pickle/popcorn sale or book fairs, non-stop photo sales, catalog sales, after school events for dinning out, I mean it never stops. If they would put more focus on education instead of trying to sell something and turn our children into salesmen maybe our kids would be doing better academically. And Ms. Garcia is a very rude individual. If you confront her about any issues she does not listen to your concerns and talks at you like you are a student. I'm sorry, but this school is getting funding from my child right? If I want something addressed shouldn't it be? And the school times are 9-3:45. After homework there isn't much time left and he is exhausted. And forget it being military friendly! They could care less if you are military. Civilian children are allowed here.

Posted March 11, 2014
I do not want to go into a long detailed list on what is wrong with this school I will just say it was enough to force us to finally make the decision to homeschool. If you are ok with your children primarily just being in daycare all day, a dark dingy depressing environment and staff that could care less about the children especially military children this is the school for you. It is pathetic more pride, money and effort isn't put into this school which is ON the base. That being said however, my daughter is flourishing in homeschool and I regret ever even putting her in SBE.

Sandia Base Elementary School
Kafb East Bld 21000, Albuquerque, NM  87116
Last modified Sandia Base Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandia Base Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top