Albuquerque, NM

Posted September 24, 2014
Most of the teachers at this school are great teachers and are great people. However, I do NOT have anything positive to say about the principal. She is very rude and disrespectful to not only the parents, but her faculty as well. Just hope that if your child attends this school that you never have to deal with her. If you have a disagreement with her about her treatment/discipline of your child as compared to other children in similar situations or that may have been involved and you call her out on it, expect your child to take the brunt of what comes afterwards and expect your child to have a target on their back for the remainder of the school year. My son and some of his classmates overheard the principal talking bad about some her faculty to other faculty members out in the open and was cussing in the process...setting a great example for my son and the other students. Just a little background, Sandia Base Elementary is now stuck with her after she was removed from her previous school. Her previous school's faculty threatened the school board with resignations if she was brought back as the principal. She is one of the biggest reasons we chose to school our child elsewhere.

Sandia Base Elementary School 5

Posted August 07, 2014
This school has become increasingly better each year. We have had three children here with my youngest now starting Kindergarden. I had my older children in private school before and the education they received here was better.

Sandia Base Elementary School 4

Posted April 25, 2014
I have to say I am impressed with the teacher my student has, she's a first year teacher but you could not tell that from the way she teaches and from the students behavior in her class. She really cares for her students and about them being SUCCESSFUL. I am GLAD my child is in her class. I couldn't have asked for a Better First Grade Teacher. She's always available to help when needed. I hope she comes back next year.

Sandia Base Elementary School 5

Posted April 23, 2014
Our kids have been in SBE since 2012, and I have to say that I have loved the support that my kids have had in this school. I truly think it depends on the teachers your kids have. I have always felt that my kids were safe and really encouraged to learn. My son's teacher makes the effort to give him harder work when she felt that the work she had planned was too easy for him. Both of my kids are also in the gifted program, and we have great open communication with all teachers. We are supposed to be zoned to bandelier elementary but we still choose to drive them daily to SBE. The secretary in the front, Ms. Alexis, is super nice and she remembers my kids names, among hundreds of other children. definitely recommend!

Posted March 12, 2014
I have to agree with the other about how horrible this school is. I hate taking my kid here. My kid is behind academically and when I confronted the teacher with questions about what I could do at home with my child the teacher didn't know what to tell me and just shrugged their shoulder. I am also hassled every week about some sale they are having (cause the school lacks funds) whether it is a pickle/popcorn sale or book fairs, non-stop photo sales, catalog sales, after school events for dinning out, I mean it never stops. If they would put more focus on education instead of trying to sell something and turn our children into salesmen maybe our kids would be doing better academically. And Ms. Garcia is a very rude individual. If you confront her about any issues she does not listen to your concerns and talks at you like you are a student. I'm sorry, but this school is getting funding from my child right? If I want something addressed shouldn't it be? And the school times are 9-3:45. After homework there isn't much time left and he is exhausted. And forget it being military friendly! They could care less if you are military. Civilian children are allowed here.

Posted March 11, 2014
I do not want to go into a long detailed list on what is wrong with this school I will just say it was enough to force us to finally make the decision to homeschool. If you are ok with your children primarily just being in daycare all day, a dark dingy depressing environment and staff that could care less about the children especially military children this is the school for you. It is pathetic more pride, money and effort isn't put into this school which is ON the base. That being said however, my daughter is flourishing in homeschool and I regret ever even putting her in SBE.

Posted January 11, 2014
Sandia Base ES is part of Albuquerque Public Schools which is in the midst of a leadership crisis. The School Board just voted to not extend the Super's contract due to his ignorant actions on the job and in his home environment. The district is a mess and all the schools are floundering because of this and the fact NM pays their teachers poorly and allows their principals to run the schools as if each were the HMS Bounty. Staff are not allowed to ever disagree with district policy and are removed if they dare to try and inject new concepts into a concrete foundation of bad administration. If you have the money, private schooling is really the only way around this problem. There are charter schools in town, but they are run by the same leadership as currently operates the district. In particular, Sandia Base ES is a rather sad and pathetic environment for children and parents to pprogress. Parents and children coming from DOD schoolswill be really shocked by the lack of material support and quality instruction provided to this school. The principal of the school appears to add nothing to an oppressive environment and rules the staff as though they were slaves to be abused.

Posted January 10, 2014
Coming from a different state (Maryland) I would say the school system here is far behind. I believe they are not challenging our kids enough and if I could I would send my daughter somewhere else. I also dislike the fact that every wednesday children get half a day.

Posted April 17, 2013
This school has undergone many changes in the 5 years my children have attended, but I have to say by far this has been the worst year. I would not send my children here if I had an option. One parent said it best it is very depressing to walk into the school and see such unhappy people. The school is lifeless, and depressing and the education the children are receiving doesn't seem to be up to par with other elementary schools. Being a military family we have seen how many states deal with their education programs, and this school is not child friendly nor do they want parents opinions! You have been warned to find another school if you are able to because this school is not a warm, kind, elementary school that is focused on your child and their learning needs.

Sandia Base Elementary School 2

Posted September 26, 2012
While there is a noticeable change in the way the administration is running, I still feel that the school, as a whole, is very unwelcoming. I see the Principal in the halls and involved with the children more, which is a very welcomed change. As soon as you walk into the school, it seems cold and depressing. The front desk seems to lack enthusiasm for the job they are in charge of. Quiet frankly it's disheartening to see someone who seems so miserable being surrounded by children. We are extremely lucky this year to have two fantastic teachers this year. I hope that this year, and the years to follow bring a dramatic change for the school. I think people really have lost their zeal for their job. I hope that we can see some warmth brought into this school. It's sad to say, that this school alone, makes me wish we could have stayed overseas.

Sandia Base Elementary School
Kafb East Bld 21000, Albuquerque, NM  87116
Last modified Sandia Base Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandia Base Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top